DIY Nursery wall art – why buy stickers?

nursery wall art decor

Having a nursery to decorate provides a great opportunity to unleash your inner child and get creative – animals, clouds, jungles, hot air balloons – anything goes!

There are thousands of nursery wall art stickers available to buy online from the likes of Etsy, notonthehighstreet, Amazon and Ebay etc, but after looking at these for a while I decided that I could create something much more personal and at a fraction of the price by painting a design myself (when else do you get the chance to draw on walls?)

DIY nursery wall art

So I took myself off to my local Wilko store (any excuse) where I picked up a couple of emulsion tester pots for £1 each in colours Cupcake and Cosy Grey. These are the perfect size (I only needed one of each) and there’s a great vibrant colour range to choose from.wilko emulsion

There are loads of design ideas online to take inspiration from if, like me, you’re not the naturally artistic type who can draw from imagination. I chose a tree design which doesn’t require a huge amount of perfection – you can stick branches and leaves anywhere and nobody will know if it’s not how you intended it to look!

Anyway, £2 and three rather enjoyable hours later, the nursery feels much more colourful – hopefully the little one will approve!

nursery wall art decornursery wall art idea

1. Found This Painted That
    November 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm

You did such a great job and I love your colour choices. Good luck with the babe!

2. muminbrum2014
    November 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Thanks so much – not so bad for an amateur!

3. Nicole
    November 25, 2014 at 9:09 am

I cannot believe you painted that! It’s BEAUTIFUL!!!! 🙂 If I were to try something like that, I’m pretty sure it would look like a child did it. Ha, ha.

1. muminbrum2014
      November 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Nicole! You should definitely have a go – it’s actually easier than you think…And if it does look like a child did it at least it will be in keeping with the nursery theme ha! 🙂

4. Preparing your nursery - Mum in Brum
    September 13, 2015 at 9:59 pm

[…] think that creating our nursery in anticipation of our little one’s arrival was one of my favourite parts of being pregnant. […]

5. twolittlemisters
    September 16, 2015 at 11:49 am

Just seen this on the #HomeEtc link and wow, this is so impressive, well done! It’s really striking.

September 17, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Ah thank you! I was pretty pleased with it in the end. Thanks for commenting 🙂

6. Helena
    September 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Love your artistic creation. My daughter has bird stickers all round her nursery but not a gorgeous tree like that. Thanks for sharing. #HomeEtc

September 17, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Thanks so much, glad you like it x

7. Lins @Boo & Maddie
    September 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Oh it looks just lovely, I would definitely need a proper stencil to paint into to get anything like what you’ve done. Love it X #HomeEtc

September 17, 2015 at 2:27 pm

You’d be surprised how easy it is with a tree – at least they can look a little ‘wild’ hehe. xx

8. Fionnuala
    September 16, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Wow, that is so impressive. I just love the little bird too. Well done!
    #HomeEtc
    Fionnuala from http://www.threesonslater.blogspot.com

September 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Thanks so much! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

9. NewMummyBlog
    September 16, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Oh wow this is fab! We’re planning something similar as we’ve just moved, but I’m definitely excited to give it a go now I’ve seen yours!

September 17, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Ah glad you like it! You should definitely give it a go – such a nice personal thing to get stuck into. Hope it goes well! 🙂

10. Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    September 16, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Aah it’s lovely!! And so similar to the one I did for my friend’s little girl 🙂 It’s SO fab isn’t it, to do things like this. Not only do you save yourself a fortune but it’s SO satisfying!! Well done pet — fab to have you linking up with us again #HomeEtc

September 17, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Thanks so much! It is fab getting creative – I struggle to find the time at the moment with the little one and find that I’m writing blogs during nap time – so not a lot of time for much else! I must get back into it though as you’re right, it is very satisfying! 🙂 xx

11. mummyofboygirltwins
    September 17, 2015 at 8:33 am

It is utterly gorgeous and so much nicer than a sticker!!!! Lovely colours and so pretty! So personal too. You clever thing! Thanks for linking up, lovely to have you again – and thanks for sharing 🙂 Jess xx

#HomeEtc

September 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Jess! I really enjoyed doing it at the time – now I look back and wonder where I got the energy from! Glad you like it thanks for stopping by 🙂 xx

12. Sabrina (The Mummy Stylist)
    September 17, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I LOVE it! I’m a big fan of buying Wilkos tester pots for projects like this. It’s so nice to get creative, and you now have something unique! Sabrina xx #HomeEtc

September 18, 2015 at 10:05 am

Thanks Sabrina! It definitely is nice to get creative every now and again xx

13. […] wasted space in the hallway. I loved having a blank space to work on and threw myself into creating a nursery fit for a newborn, choosing a colour scheme of yellow walls with pink and grey […]