Tips for creating a gallery wall

Tips and design ideas for creating a gallery wall in your home

tips for creating a gallery wall

When we got married we used photo frames for our table names. Alongside this, I seem to have collected a ridiculous number of the things over the years so I decided last week to create a feature gallery wall to spruce up my hallway.

A gallery wall not only creates a great focal point, it also gives you an excuse to frame all of those photos you love but that aren’t quite professional or staged enough to warrant a place on the mantelpiece alone. It’s a doddle to do and all you need is a handful of nails and a hammer (don’t even mention it to the Mister – queue “I’ll go and get the drill”). Alongside your frames it’s a good idea to include some other decorative pieces to add a little more interest and break up the images – I had some large typography pieces around the house which I incorporated.

There are also some great online resources and blogs that offer free printable downloads such as littlegoldpixel.com, which are great if you don’t want every picture in your gallery to be a photograph.

I started by laying out all of the frames on the floor in front of the hall wall to get an idea of how wide and tall I wanted the gallery to be. I admit that I felt like my mother a little bit here, obsessing over which pieces looked best where, but it’s worth spending some time until you get a layout that you’re happy with. I then took a photo of the layout so that I could replicate it on the wall. Starting by nailing the highest frame onto the wall, I then worked my way out until I got the finished gallery. Definitely an easy and cost-effective way to make a great feature in your home!

</div

Home Etc

1. atkokosplace
    May 16, 2015 at 12:21 am

Your wall gallery is wonderful! 🙂 well done!

May 16, 2015 at 8:08 am

Thanks! Glad you like it 🙂

2. StephanieK
    May 16, 2015 at 5:45 am

Reblogged this on nailsglueandscrews and commented:
    Great tips for creating a gallery wall. Find various wall layouts at http://nailsglueandscrews.com/decorting-guides-calculators/

May 16, 2015 at 8:07 am

Thanks for sharing x

3. Haidee@Maybe Baby Brothers
    June 23, 2015 at 9:50 am

I’ve been busy creating a Pinterest wall full of gallery wall inspiration as I am on a mission to personalise our home a bit more with photos and other bits and pieces that mean something to our family. I need to go and find some decorative pieces to incorporate and some frames!

June 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

You should definitely do it – everyone comments on ours when they come to the house and it’s so nice to showcase the personal pieces. Good luck!

4. mummascribbles
    June 23, 2015 at 9:03 pm

That looks so fabulous. A friend of mine has a line of her wedding photos going up the staircase wall and my sister also has mini canvases of pictures from over the years. We have a lovely long hallway that something like this would work really well on. Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

June 24, 2015 at 8:43 am

Ah glad you like it! Sounds like it would look great along your hallway. What I enjoyed most about doing it is that you can really add anything you like to it – they don’t have to be great quality pics. I had a few bits around the house that looked a little lost on their own but look great in this. Hope you get around to it! Thanks for posting x

5. 2littlefaces
    June 24, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Always love a gallery wall! I still need to do one. First I have to find a wall! 😀 xx 2littlefaces #twinklyTuesday http://tinyurl.com/brothersKing

June 25, 2015 at 9:21 am

Glad you like it! x

6. Helena
    August 26, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Love the idea of laying it all out first and taking a photo of how you want it displayed on the wall. I want to do something similar running down my staircase. Thanks for the tips.

7. Lisa@intotheglade
    August 26, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Taking a photo of your layout is such a good idea. I like the idea of adding other bits other than just photographs too. Your wall looks great x #HomeEtc

8. Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    August 26, 2015 at 8:59 pm

We’ve got a gallery wall up our stairs but they’re all black and white pics in black frames. I love your eclectic mix and the addition of the ampersand! I’m a bit obsessed with any typography based items. That’s the designer in me I guess — working with fonts all day does funny thing to a girl’s head! 😉 Thanks so much linking in with us on #HomeEtc — we really do appreciate it 🙂

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

August 27, 2015 at 11:21 am

I was thinking of doing a black and white one on our dining room wall. I love how you can create a really lovely personal feature without having to spend a fortune! You’re not alone, I’m a little obsessed with typography too 🙂

9. Jen @ 4128 miles
    August 27, 2015 at 12:05 am

I love gallery walls! Oh so gorgeous!

August 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

Thanks Jen! 🙂

10. mummyofboygirltwins
    August 27, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Just love a gallery wall 🙂 I too have SO many photograph frames collected over the years that I don’t know what to do with them all! Since we moved house and I saw how many I had I was amazed!! Love this idea and yours looks stunning 🙂 Thanks for sharing! Much appreciated lovely 🙂 Jess xx

#HomeEtc

11. Sarah
    November 18, 2015 at 9:51 am

Love the mix of frames and words you have. I’ve fancied doing this for ages but never quite got around to it – your post has got me planning again (I’m much better at that than doing!). Thanks for the inspiration x
    Sarah recently posted…‘Hunter’s’ Sausage RollsMy Profile

November 23, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Glad you like it! I’m the opposite I think – I rush into things without much planning which can sometimes have undesired consequences – luckily this one turned out okay! Good luck with yours x

12. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    November 21, 2015 at 7:35 pm

This turned out really nice, it’s so cool to be able to see the photos that mean so much to you as you pass them each day. I love ampersands and the wooden pattern on this one makes it really cool. We have a gallery wall going up our stairs, we call it “the wall of shame” instead of the wall of fame! LOL It’s full of family, friends, things we love. It’s fun to put it all together to create one complete wall of art!!!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…#WAYWOW 25 Let’s Party!My Profile