A family day out at Thomas Land, Drayton Manor

review of thomas land drayton manor

My maternity leave fell at a good time since my parents both retired this year which means we get to enjoy family days out again – something that has been hard to come by throughout the majority of my adulthood. My sister also comes back from Dubai for a couple of months during the summer, so we’ve been taking full advantage of the time we get to spend together – both as sisters, mums and aunties.review of thomas land drayton manor

Last week we decided to take a trip to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor theme park in Staffordshire. We visited last year before I had Taylor and when my nephew was almost two – he had a great day then but he was still a little too short to meet the height restrictions on some of the rides and probably a little too young to fully appreciate the experience.  One year on and we decided to visit again – this time with Taylor and our parents in tow.

Thomas Land has recently been expanded following a £2.5m investment to accommodate some new rides, as well as a new café and a handful of old-school fairground games. If it wasn’t before, it is definitely now a standalone attraction and there’s more than enough to keep you busy for the day.

From the moment we entered my nephew was in his absolute element and you could tell that he really did think that Thomas, Percy, James and Rosie were the real characters he watches on the television – so cute! He’s also hugely into fire engines (what little boy isn’t?) so loved the new ‘Flynns fire and rescue’ ride, which is complete with hoses for the kids to spray various targets throughout the duration.

For lunch we decided to venture into the main theme park for a burger before we headed back to queue at Knapford Station to take one of the engine tours (either Thomas, Percy or Rosie) to farmer McColls farm. Buggies have to be collapsed before getting on the train but there are a couple of carriages where you can store them for the ride. The ride is a lovely novelty and it’s a good opportunity to see more of the park.

At the other end there’s a large outdoor adventure play area – where I think we would’ve spent the entire afternoon if it was up to my nephew – and a farm which the kids also loved. We also visited the Dino Trail which takes you on an educational tour of dinosaurs (no shit) with life-sized models of our prehistoric friends and the odd rumble and groan – all great entertainment for little ones. Even us sisters managed to get a sneaky ride on the Shockwave roller coaster for old times’ sake, and were each treated to a Twister ice-cream by the grandparents!

If I were to have one minor complaint it was that the queues were pretty long and the staff seemed to be taking their time getting people on and off the rides – there were also some cars that were left half full which was a little annoying when it was so busy. But we probably didn’t have to wait any longer than 25 minutes for any of the rides, so it wasn’t too much of a problem.

Also, if you’re planning a visit make sure you book online seven days in advance as it costs £20 (for adults), as opposed to £38 if you pay on the day.

All in all, this is a brilliant day out and a must for anyone with little ones in need of entertainment – especially Thomas fans!!

Life Unexpected

1. beth
    August 11, 2015 at 8:51 am

My youngest is a Thomas fan! This place looks great. We always think about going, but it is a bit too far away for us! So we would have to stay somewhere over night I think x

August 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm

He would love it! Hopefully you get chance to visit one day xx

2. Laura @ Life with Baby Kicks
    August 11, 2015 at 8:45 am

We went when we were back from Dubai and loved it!! (and blogged about it obvs) even though my Toddler decided he hated the rides at that point…..x #TwinklyTuesday

August 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Haha, I bet he would’ve loved them if you went back the next day. Don’t you just love toddlers! Hope you’re enjoying Dubai, my sis loves living there x

3. zoe dunn
    August 11, 2015 at 8:46 am

Wow looks like you had a fab day. Love your pics #twinklytuesday

August 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Zoe, it was great 🙂

4. KERRY NORRIS
    August 11, 2015 at 12:05 pm

We loved it here. We actually went on easter Sunday so it was fairly quiet when we were there although the rides in Thomas land had the biggest queues. I can’t wait to go back but will have to wait until i’m not pregnant so I can actually go on rides with Eva. Kerry x #TwinklyTuesday

August 11, 2015 at 7:56 pm

It’s great isn’t it? There’s so much to do it’s definitely a place you can return to again and again x

5. Unhinged Mummy (aka Janine Woods)
    August 12, 2015 at 9:48 am

Oh I am so glad I saw your post. I really want to take my little boy to Thomas Land at some point but it would be quite a trio for us and I want to know it will be worth it. After reading your post I am pretty sure he will love it. Thanks for this.
    #whatevertheweather

August 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

No problem Janine! It will definitely be worth the journey of he’s a Thomas fan. You won’t be disappointed I’m sure x

6. Jennifer {The Hollyhock Door}
    August 12, 2015 at 6:10 pm

My boys would love this! I’m planning to bring them back to the UK to visit in the next year or two — do you think a 5 or 6 year old would be bored? Thanks for sharing the tips about advanced entry! ~Jennifer via #whatevertheweather

August 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hi Jennifer, I think 5/6 year olds would love it! There is so much to do even outside of Thomas Land that they definitely won’t be bored. Have fun of you get chance to go!

7. Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    August 13, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Aaah we REALLY need to go here!!! Thomas and his cronies are a regular fixture in our house!! My twins absolutely love him!! We went when they were about 5months old — with some friends — but they were far too young to enjoy any of it. I think they’d love it now 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday — hope to see you again next week! x

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

August 15, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Aw it’s great when they get to that age when they can really enjoy things like this isn’t it! I’m not wishing it away but I’m really looking forward to that. Thanks for stopping by xx

8. Mudpie Fridays
    August 14, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I have got my eye on this one! Thank you for the tip about buying online before hand 🙂 #whatevertheweather

August 15, 2015 at 6:04 pm

No problem, glad it’s useful! 🙂

9. Jenny
    August 16, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Oh, my O would loooove this! He’s been a big Thomas can since 15 months old and has tons of their books and toys.
    Lovely that you got time to sound there together with your family, must be hard when you don’t see your sister for long.
    Great tips for others to visit, we may go one day if we head down that direction, I know my two would really enjoy it.
    Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x

August 17, 2015 at 9:56 am

Yes it really was a great way to spend time with the family. Hopefully you will get chance to visit one day, I’m sure your son would absolutely love it x

10. […] wrote a review of our visit to Thomas Land in the summer here, but trust me when I say that it’s an absolute must for little Thomas fans. With a new […]