Things you learn by 30

This month I’ll be celebrating my 31st birthday. My mum has always told me that “you never feel any different” with age, and now that I’m into my third decade I can say with conviction that I concur – I’ve felt the same at 30 as I did when I was 18 (aside from a few more wrinkles and a couple of extra pounds).

Yet it’s true that we do grow wiser with age and on a daily basis I find myself saying (moaning about) things and realise that somewhere along the way I became so sensible. It’s taken a while, but I now consider myself a fully-fledged adult. Here’s some of the things I’ve finally accepted since turning 30.

Things you learn by 30:

1. Being hungover at work is NO FUN AT ALL

Throughout my 20s I used to spend far too many Fridays at the office feeling a little worse for wear (i.e. hanging out of my ar**).  I couldn’t wait for the Friday morning bacon sandwich delivery (Mcdonalds’ sausage and egg mcmuffin on a really bad day), only to find that after the first bite it wasn’t going to go down so well. These days I just cannot cope with hangovers. And especially not when I have to be nice to people, greet new ideas with boundless enthusiasm and actually engage my brain. Hell.On.Earth.

2. You should stop drinking when you say to yourself ‘I need to stop drinking’

Spot the theme here? Don’t get me wrong, I’m the first one to suggest a glass of Pinot over a Coca Cola, but (for the most part) I would say that I do ‘drink responsibly’ these days and know when to call it a day/night.  This may be because I’m in my 30s but more likely has everything to do with the fact that I now have an eight month old baby to look after – trying to be a mum whilst hungover is pretty much as bad as going to the office. I no longer have the luxury of nursing myself on the sofa the next day and I wouldn’t want it anyway. Family time is precious.

3. Radio 1 is just a little bit patronising

I remember a time when I used to think Radio 2 was sooooo boring (“turn it off mum”!) Who wants to hear about current affairs and traffic? People over 30 apparently. I don’t need a news presenter talking to me like I’m an idiot: “David Cameron (the Prime Minister) has announced”….Troops in Moscow (Russia’s capital) are gathering”…. You get my drift? Give me Moira Stewart any day. Not to mention the Jeremy Vine show.

4.  It’s better to have fewer ‘true’ friends

As I’ve got older my friends have become fewer. Life seems to get busier with age and time is precious, so it’s not always easy to see friends as often as you might like and sadly friends do seem to ‘drop off’ throughout your 20s. However, I’ve learnt that true friends are always there for you. They’re the ones who will never judge you and come through for you when you really need them. The ones who you might not speak to for months but you will spend hours upon end catching up when you finally do get together. I  know that the friends I still have in my life now will be with me forever. Having lots of friends is just not important to me anymore.

5. Fairy Liquid is worth the extra £1

It’s true what the ad says – “I hardly ever buy Fairy Liquid” because I buy fairy liquid. I dread to think how many bottles of ‘daisy fresh’ or whatever it’s called we bought as students. It’s shite. Don’t be a cheapskate.

6. Cheap wine is not worth the saving

Now, I’m not saying that I have expensive taste when it comes to wine – I can be found with the best of them scouring the aisles of Tesco looking for the one that’s ‘on offer’ and I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve paid more than a tenner for a bottle. But…the (permanently) cheap bottles are pretty nasty. Middle of the road will save you from the not so pleasurable experience of drinking vinegar all night and the hangover won’t be so brutal the next day.

7. It’s okay to ‘not go’

When I was young(er) I wanted to do everything and go everywhere. It pained me to turn down any sort of social invite and staying in if everyone else was ‘going out’ was simply not an option. Now though, I’ve learned that going out is not always what it’s cracked up to be. Don’t get me wrong, I still love getting out, but I also love curling up on my sofa sometimes with a (120g) bar of Dairy Milk and some trashy TV. And my husband of course.

8. You need to leave ten minutes earlier than you think

This may be more of a personal one as I know that not everyone is born with an inability to be on time. But some of us are. It’s not that I take ages to get ready, or think that I can get somewhere quicker than I can (okay, maybe sometimes), it’s just that no matter how much time I have, I will always ALWAYS leave ten minutes later than I should do. And I know this – but I can’t help it! However, I’m learning to manage this and slowly but surely I’m getting better at being places on time. The other day for the first time in my life I think I was actually early.

What did you learn by 30?8 things you learn by your 30s

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Baby Isabella
    September 18, 2015 at 9:14 am

Great List! My mummy just turned 35 and doesn’t feel any different than she did when she was 18. Maybe a bit more comfortable in her own skin and has found her ‘style’. Agree about the drinking bit and she’s more of an opportunist now 😉 #TheList x

2. Elizabeth (Wander Mum)
    September 18, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Ooooh yes! I can relate to all of these. I am definitely an advocate for upgrading, washing up liquid, wine – well if I’m not drinking as much, I want it to be a good one! Hangovers are just hideous with children. I’ve also learnt that its ok to me and I don’t really care what other people think anymore. X

September 27, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Yes that is such a good one – we definitely become more comfortable in our own skin as we get older. I wouldn’t want to be a teenager again for anything! 🙂 x

3. Tracey Abrahams
    October 8, 2015 at 2:57 pm

It was in my 30’s that I gave up drinking. I finally felt old enough to admit I dint like the taste!! I also agree whole heartedly about Fairly liquid! #Coolmumsclub

October 8, 2015 at 10:04 pm

No, I’m not sure I’ve ever really liked the taste really! I can definitely take or leave it these days. Fairy Liquid on the other hand…I’m not sure what I’d do without it! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

4. mummuddlingthrough
    October 8, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Another fab piece Natalie. Strangely, this is almost the exact post I have been ‘writing in my head’this week! Odd when that happens eh? Although I have a few years on you.. (34) and I can’t say I still feel 18…the last 3 years have aged me a decade or more lol! Come back to this post when you’re running around after two and see if you still feel 18 then! Definitely cannot deal with hangovers AT ALL any more!
    Have a fab birthday, and thanks again for coming back to #coolmumclub
    mummuddlingthrough recently posted…#Coolmumclub Linky Week #2My Profile

October 8, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Hah, I promise I won’t judge you if your post is similar! Okay, perhaps 18 was a little bit of an exaggeration – I do feel like I’ve aged so much already in the past 10 months – I was saying to the husband just the other day that I think the next decade will thoroughly age me!! I’m not sure I can handle the sleep deprivation all over again with a second one – we will see! Thanks again for hosting x

5. Unhinged Mummy (aka Janine Woods)
    October 9, 2015 at 1:01 pm

This is brilliant. I found myself nodding along to all of the points you made. Especially the fairy liquid and wine. I bought a bottle of wine for £2.50 the other day (just for cooking you see as they didn’t have any miniatures) but I didn’t use it all so thought I’d have a glass. Yuck! Wish I hadn’t bothered. It tasted watered down. Infact it probably was!

Visiting from #coolmumclub
    Unhinged Mummy (aka Janine Woods) recently posted…Finally We Have Sentences!My Profile

6. A Moment with Franca
    October 11, 2015 at 12:01 am

I love this post! I agree with all of this list. I love fairy products too. They are amazing. I also use them for washing the dirty clothes with poo!! It is a miracle product!! I don’t really drink at all. Just a little bit occasionally. I used to drink a lot when I was younger and I never used to handle very well the handovers. After having my girls, I don’t feel the need to drink anymore. I think you realised that you have to look after them and they become your priority. I’m the same with the time.I really struggle to be on time. Nick and I don’t go out as much. We enjoy staying at home. Agree with the statement about having fewer friends. I think you pick your friends better and don’t mess around anymore. Something that I disagree is that I do feel older. Maybe it is because I’m more near the 40ths than the 30ths!! And I definitely feel much more confident now! Thank you for coming back again this week to #KCACOLS. I can’t wait to see what will you share next week!! 😉 x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…#KCACOLS – 11th October 2015My Profile

7. Mrs C
    October 11, 2015 at 11:02 am

Number three made me laugh because at 32, I’ve been holding onto my youth via radio 1 but I can’t make a ten minute journey without switching to radio 2!
    Mrs C recently posted…The onesie.My Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Haha, I admit I do still flick between radio 1 and 2, but I find I get less tolerant of radio 1 these days – definitely getting older! x

8. Talya
    October 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm

OMG hangover hell so not worth it…with or without kids! I think because we are wiser and more confident of all these things by the time we are 30, being in your 30s is not such a bad place to be…! #KCACOLS
    Talya recently posted…The wonder of a child’s first wordsMy Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Yep, I’m definitely so much more confident than I was in my 20s! I think we stop caring so much about what others think of us x

9. Maria @ Suburban Mum
    October 12, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Love this list – so very true. I simply cannot deal with being hungover with children to look after. It simply does not mix!! I’m late 30s and still feel like I’m early 20 (in my head) body definitely tells me otherwise these days! #KCACOLS
    Maria @ Suburban Mum recently posted…The TV experiment…My Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:07 am

Haha, I know how you feel! If only we could stay looking as young as we feel forever. Thanks for commenting 🙂

10. Mummyandmonkeys
    October 13, 2015 at 9:37 am

Love this! I turned 31 on the 2nd October. Fairy liquid is a must or you spend more time washing up! I now always go for a bottle of wine that has been reduced to £8ish rather than one that was initially that and has been reduced. Hangovers are no fun at all! I also have less friends now. #coolmumclub

October 17, 2015 at 10:27 am

Yep, I only ever buy wine that’s reduced now – I can’t help it! The supermarkets play us so well. Hope you’re enjoying your 31st year so far! I’m not feeling any older – YET xx

11. Mommy's Little Princesses
    October 14, 2015 at 9:49 am

Great post I founderstand myself agreeing with quite a few things.xx
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Our 7th Wedding Anniversary dinner…My Profile

12. Helen | Wonderfully Average
    October 14, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I don’t know if it’s the getting older or the toddler, but I can completely agree with knowing when to call it a night- I was always there until the bitter end on nights out before. No night out is worth a hangover when you have an 18 month old to look after! #coolmumclub
    Helen | Wonderfully Average recently posted…Nailed it.My Profile

October 17, 2015 at 10:35 am

I think it’s probably a bit of both! I like to pretend that it’s because I’ve got a baby that I’m no longer the party animal I once was – but I’m pretty sure I was heading that way before I had her. Age is such a bore 😉 Thanks for stopping by xx

13. Emily
    October 14, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Love this list! I turn 31 at the end of the year too, I have a little one too, and I pretty much agree with everything on your list including the time one. Except in my case its probably more like 30 ;-). I love how much more comfortable with all of these things I’ve become over the last year or so, especially since I had my daugther. The simple things in life are definitely the best thing in life these days! Emily #KCACOLS

October 17, 2015 at 10:37 am

Glad you enjoyed it! I totally agree with you – it is so nice to feel comfortable and content with life once you get to this age. You don’t worry about what people think anymore and you know what makes you happy and what doesn’t. Family time and appreciating the simple things is definitely what it’s all about x

14. Emily
    October 14, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Great post! I turn 31 in December and have a little one too and can definitely say I can relate to all of these, including the one on time. Except in my case it is probably more like 30 minutes ;-). I love how much more I’ve become in my skin in the last year or two, particularly since having my daughter who is two now. Life these days is very much about the simple things, which are often the best things 🙂 Emily #KCACOLS

15. Morgan Prince
    October 15, 2015 at 11:16 am

A great post! I agree with your mum too, you never do feel any different do you? I’d compare ‘becoming an adult’ to putting on weight, it creeps up on you, happens very slowly without you realising. Then you look down (or inwards) and see a great big belly (or a sensible ‘adult’) and think OMG – it happened! 🙂
    I’d say the learning doesn’t happen by a particular age, I think it’s more about you as a person. I know some people in their thirties who still act like they’re 18 and some in their twenties could be mistaken for 40+. When I turned 30 I didn’t think it was a big deal, I’ve never really thought about birthdays that way. Although saying that I might feel slightly different when it’s my 40th – that one seems like a bigger milestone. I’ve still go a while yet though. 😉

Great post, thank you for sharing. xx #KCACOLS
    Morgan Prince recently posted…A Sure Fire Way to Recover From One of Those DaysMy Profile

October 17, 2015 at 10:44 am

Haha that’s a great comparative and sooo true! Plus you remain in denial for at least five years about both 🙂 You’re right about age though – it’s definitely about who you are. I like to think I’ll always remain young at heart – no matter how old I get 🙂 xx

16. 10 Top Aldi Products you need to try
    June 2, 2016 at 1:07 pm

[…] know, I know, I once said I would never use anything other than Fairy. Well I did and it looks remarkably like Fairy […]