Autumn Taste of the Bay at Watergate Bay Hotel

autumn taste of the bay watergate bay hotel

If your summer holiday is already feeling like a distant memory and you’re looking for a break this autumn, then look no further than Watergate Bay in Cornwall. Last year Mr M treated me to a birthday/pre-baby getaway at Watergate Bay Hotel and I can honestly say that it was one of the best holidays we’ve had in the UK.

autumn taste of the bay watergate bay hotel

The hotel has seasonal offers so we took advantage of their Autumn Taste of the Bay offer which I see they are running again this year from 20th September – 14th October. The offer includes a three night stay at the hotel and a meal at three of the Bay’s best restaurants for each night of your stay. These include Jamie Oliver’s renowned Fifteen, Watergate Bay Hotel’s own restaurant, Zacry’s, and the Beach Hut which overlooks the beach and serves up an array of shellfish and steaks.

Watergate Bay Hotel itself is a real credit to Cornwall. Overlooking the beach, the hotel has a contemporary, chic feel and the rooms are an interior designer’s dream with an array of modern colour schemes and cosy furnishings. Despite being upmarket, the hotel retains a relaxed, unpretentious vibe – you’ll find kids at breakfast in their pajamas, surfers walking through reception in wet suits and spa goers wandering the corridors still in their robes. From the minute you check-in your will feel welcome and this will continue throughout your stay. The hotel is also dog friendly, which is a huge tick in the box for us as we obviously didn’t want to leave Max at home.

One of our favourite parts of the day when we go on holiday is a great hotel breakfast and Watergate Bay Hotel will certainly not let you down. The buffet breakfast has everything you could ask for from wholemeal muesli and fresh yoghurt to tasty sausages, bacon and eggs for a hearty full English. We were so lucky with the weather and were able to eat ours out on the terrace each morning that we were there. I was in my element having a read of the newspaper whilst enjoying my morning cuppa – virtually sat on the beach. Max lying at our feet waiting for the leftovers (naughty us). Obviously this was before we had Taylor…

Brwakfast at Watergate Bay HotelWatergate Bay Hotel outside dining area

We spent our days mostly having fun on the beach. The hotel also has an infinity pool which looks over the sea – we spent a couple of afternoons in there when it got a little chilly outside. There are also various spa treatments on offer to take advantage of.

We ate at Watergate Bay hotel’s restaurant, Zacrys, on the first night. It has a contemporary brasserie style and is definitely a restaurant in its own right, also open to guests who are not staying at the hotel. I wasn’t drinking so couldn’t sample the cocktails, but enjoyed a lovely lamb dish whilst Mr M tucked into a hearty steak. On the second night we walked along the beach to The Beach Hut which has a relaxed beach vibe and simple menu. I tried the green thai curry which was on the specials board and was delicious.

We saved Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen for our third and final night and were pleased to discover that the ‘Chef’s Choice’ option was included within our Autumn Taste of the Bay offer. Usually costing £55 per person, the Chef’s Choice includes tasters of various options from the à la carte menu so you get to sample the best of what the restaurant has to offer. With great views of the ocean and a bustling intimate feel, this restaurant is a must for anyone visiting the area.Watergate Bay

Unfortunately I didn’t get many photos as I wasn’t blogging then and didn’t really see the point in taking artistic pictures of pretty lamps or my feet in the sand 🙂 But take my word for it – the trip really was brilliant and gave us some fantastic memories of our last holiday together before having Taylor. Autumn Taste of the Bay was worth every penny.

Have you visited Watergate Bay Hotel? Will you be taking a short break this autumn?

Review of Watergate Bay Hotel

The Twinkle Diaries
Life Unexpected

1. Jez
    September 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm

We’re back there for a couple of nights in January and I can’t wait. My favourite place in the world I think 🙂

September 27, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Ah so jealous! We need to go again! 🙂

2. Katrin@KreativK.net
    September 30, 2015 at 10:38 am

Hi Natalie,
    What a great Post, thanks for sharing! I found you at WAYWOW Linkup! And I must say I’d love to go to Cornwall someday. I’m not too far away, I’m livin in the South of Spain, so I’ll get there eventually!

September 30, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Katrin glad you enjoyed it! We just got back from the south of Spain from holiday – would love to have so much sunshine all of the time! I’ve just had a look at your blog, it’s lovely x

3. Jenny
    September 30, 2015 at 6:19 pm

That sounds like a great offer! Oh the nice easy mornings pre-kids, I don’t think I appreciated it enough back then. Beautiful photos of you both too, I love being at the beach and wish we were a bit closer to the sea so we could paddle more!
    Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x
    Jenny recently posted…Whatever the Weather Linky #12My Profile

September 30, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I know, I’m not sure we would get such a leisurely breakfast these days! I would love to live closer to the sea too – maybe one day! x

4. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    October 1, 2015 at 9:19 pm

What an incredible trip. I love vacations where you can relax, eat good, recharge and enjoy spending time together with your partner. Thanks for letting me take a little vicarious vacation with you! If I lived closer I would love to o here for a getaway!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Branding Backgrounds & Images For Instagram-Social Media FocusMy Profile

October 1, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Hi Nikki, yes it really is a great place to visit! I don’t think you can beat an autumn break – we were in Spain last week and it really did perk us up and recharge our batteries after the rubbish British summer we had! But I do equally love autumn in England – there are so many great places to visit and all so pretty at this time of year x

5. Adventures of a Novice Mum
    October 4, 2015 at 4:10 pm

What a lovely time away :-). Hotel breakfasts are so terribly yum, aren’t they? It’s one of what I really look forward to at hotel stays and Watergate Bay Hotel seems really fab … I’d love a dip in their affinity pool 🙂 #CommentLuv
    Adventures of a Novice Mum recently posted…Parcel2Go Sent With Love: Posting Memories Across the PondMy Profile

6. Chloe
    October 4, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I’ve never been to Fifteen yet and I live so close (literally a half an hour drive)! I have no idea why. I’d love to try the Chefs Choice. It sounds delicious!
    Wow I didn’t know Watergate Bay had an infinity pool! That sounds perfect. On a sunny day I bet you feel like you’re somewhere exotic. I wish I could go on a holiday where I can recharge my batteries. It’s so hard to do now with children isn’t it? Thank you for linking this post to #whatevertheweather x
    Chloe recently posted…#MYSUNDAYPHOTOMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:21 am

You should definitely go to Fifteen when you next get the chance – it would be a great place for a special ‘date night’ (whatever one of those is!) It really did feel like we were abroad when we were at Watergate Bay as the weather was so good. It’s such a beautiful part of the country you are so lucky to live there x

7. […] I was six months pregnant with Taylor, we went on holiday for a week to Watergate Bay in Cornwall. For the first time in my adult life I wore a swimming costume and to be honest, it was a bit of a […]