Interiors

A cosy bedroom makeover

As the days get colder and the evenings darker, I love nothing more than drawing the curtains in a cosy bedroom and snuggling up in a comfy bed with a good book (or Mr M on Wednesdays and Fridays…)

When it comes to autumn I feel like my bedroom needs a similar makeover to my wardrobe with the addition of chunky knits, winter motifs and warm colours. I love how easy it is to transform the bedroom as well as being fairly inexpensive – you can pick up some brilliant buys on the high street and online, so there’s really no need to spend a fortune on a cosy update.

When we first moved into our house, our bedroom was the first room that we tackled, fitting a new en-suite, replacing the carpets and installing new glass doors to open out onto the patio. By the time we finished with the decorating we were onto the next room and I never really got round (couldn’t be bothered) to adding those all-important finishing touches. We simply painted the walls a stone colour and bought grey curtains and cushions to tie in with the white furniture and bedspread.

But recently I’ve been thinking that it feels a little too grey and masculine for my liking so I decided to add some femininity by introducing pink, which I love paired with shades of grey. Simply by adding this pink throw from Wayfair, and pink pillowcases which I managed to find in Homesense, the room feels completely different.

throw for cosy bedroom

When it comes to creating a cosy bedroom I don’t think you can ever have too many cushions, and I love updating my old ones with new cushion covers. I picked up this dark grey one with the stag design online and I think it goes really well with the knitted ones which we bought from Dunhelm Mill last year. The more texture the better, so I’m currently on the lookout for a faux fur cushion cover to complete the look.

stag cushion cover

I do have a slight obsession with winter motifs and would happily adorn every room with stags, trees and snowflakes if it wasn’t for Mr M rolling his eyes at me whenever I veer towards such objects in the shopping aisles. We have a joint love for this fairisle throw though which was a wedding present from John Lewis a couple of years ago. I love bringing it out every winter for an instant cosy bedroom update.  They don’t seem to sell this exact one any more but there are plenty of similar ones to be found.

To complete the look I added some metallic accessories and have featured our wedding photography above the bed in these black frames with inserts which cost just £6 each from Wilko. The whole cosy bedroom update came to less than £150 – so there really is no excuse for not having a bedroom that makes you feel super snug this season!

Top tips for creating a cosy bedroom

lighting for cosy bedroom

Home Etc

thumbnailsize

/>

Betty and the Bumps
    October 7, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I love your colour palette. It’s very much what I’m going for in our as-yet-unfinished bedroom. x

#HomeEtc
    Betty and the Bumps recently posted…Creating a “big girl” bedroom for Gwenn with wallpaperMy Profile

October 8, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Thanks lovely. There’s always something to finish isn’t there?! 🙂

2. Reply
    Lins @Boo & Maddie
    October 7, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It looks SO cosy I want to just dive in! I never think about adjusting my furnishings on a seasonal basis but maybe I should! X #HomeEtc
    Lins @Boo & Maddie recently posted…How To: Painting a Rendered FireplaceMy Profile

October 8, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I’m not sure when it started but I love any excuse for a home update! I think it’s replaced my seasonal wardrobe updates since I don’t seem to be a follower of fashion these days – since most of my clothes end up splattered in baby food/sick/dribble lol. Thanks for stopping by x

3. Reply
    Lisa@intotheglade
    October 7, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Oh that looks so cosy! I think Dunelm have faux cushions in again now. I am trying to persuade himself that we need to prettify our bedroom too, sometime you just need pretty in your life ha! I love your pictures, I have a similar thing happening on the landing too xx
    Lisa@intotheglade recently posted…Flowers in the window!My Profile

October 8, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I do love a good rummage at Dunhelm – although I seem to go into a bit of a time warp and hours pass me by! Picture frame galleries are my new favourite thing at the moment – I’m gradually filling up the blank walls in our house! x

4. Reply
    Stephanie
    October 7, 2015 at 10:01 pm

That’s a great stag cushion, and I agree bedrooms need chunky knits and blankets for winter to make it much more snug and cosy #homeetc
    Stephanie recently posted…New Prints and Jacquards from Prestigious Textiles for Autumn/WinterMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:15 am

Thanks Stephanie, I couldn’t believe what a bargain the stag cushion cover was – it was only around £10. x

5. Reply
    Caroline
    October 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Looks so lovely and cosy, I do love a cosy bedroom in the winter. #HomeEtc
    Caroline recently posted…National Wallpaper Week – Finally finishing our bedroomMy Profile

6. Reply
    Mila
    October 8, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Very cozy! I love those sweater pillows and delicate color palette you chose!

I hope you’ll link up your post with Idea Box:
    xx
    Mila
    Mila recently posted…Idea Box-Thursday Link Party #31My Profile

7. Reply
    Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme)
    October 9, 2015 at 11:31 am

That looks like a bed i could totally snuggle up in the winter although not sure how i could motivate myself to get out of it the next morning haha! #HomeEtc
    Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme) recently posted…Our new KitchenMy Profile

8. Reply
    mummyofboygirltwins
    October 10, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Just utterly beautiful! I love the pinks and greys. And throws are crucial for this time of year! It looks very neat & today too! Really cosy and it is beautiful. Thanks for linking up and sharing 🙂 Jess xx #HomeEtc
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…Bag ladyMy Profile

9. Reply
    Molly
    October 10, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Oh it looks lovely and snuggly – love your fairisle throw and the addition of the pink. I’m sure Mr M approves really, at least on Wednesdays and Fridays 🙂
    Molly recently posted…Sofa Sofa Scatter CushionsMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:14 am

Yes he loves it on Wednesdays and Fridays!! Hehe 🙂 Thanks for stopping by x

10. Reply
    Sara @ Handy Herbs
    October 10, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I always love the combination of pink and grey – it’s amazing the difference a touch of pink can make. I really like your idea of adapting the decor slightly for a new season. It definitely looks very cosy in the room now! Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS

11. Reply
    Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    October 10, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Lovely calming colours there and oh for an uncluttered tidy bedroom! #KCACOLS
    Coombe Mill – Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Weekly Farm PhotoMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:12 am

Haha I can assure you it doesn’t look this tidy all of the time! x

12. Reply
    Silly Mummy
    October 10, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Yep, with you on grey and pink, winter motifs & chunky knit cushions & throws. Looks lovely! #KCACOLS
    Silly Mummy recently posted…A Message to Anyone Who Feels Confused or Bullied About BreastfeedingMy Profile

13. Reply
    A Moment with Franca
    October 11, 2015 at 12:19 am

I love this Natalie!! Everything looks fabulous!! I love the colour matching. That pink throw looks amazing. It really feels a nice and cosy bedroom. Perfect for this season. Love the motifs and chunky knit cushions!! You have great taste!! Thanks for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I would love to see you again next week!! 🙂 x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…My September FavouritesMy Profile

14. Reply
    October 11, 2015 at 7:34 am

I love how a room can be transformed by adding a few accessories. As you say, with high street stores offering such affordable products its hard to resist isn’t it?! Our bedroom is top of the list for next year….I’m thinking about an Antarctic theme… Lots of white faux fur cushions and shades of blue and white. Maybe 🙂 x MMT #kcacols
    Mummuddlingthrough recently posted…Ker-chinging in the changes: Mum on a budgetMy Profile

15. Reply
    Becky @ PinksCharming
    October 11, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Love this it looks gorgeous. I love pink and grey too, they look co chic together and the grey tones down the girly pink beautifully. Becky x #KCACOLS
    Becky @ PinksCharming recently posted…Ava and the spider: she’s learned to play tricks on me and life will never be the same again!My Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Becky! I’ve been wanting to try pink and grey together for ages so it’s nice that I’ve finally got around to it. Thanks for stopping by x

16. Reply
    Mrs Tubbs
    October 11, 2015 at 9:15 pm

The whole room looks beautiful and really comfortable. The colours go really well together too. #KCACOLS
    Mrs Tubbs recently posted…Now I am Fifty … I Don’t Actually Feel Any DifferentMy Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Thanks so much, glad you like it 🙂

17. Reply
    Chloe
    October 11, 2015 at 11:39 pm

This is so beautiful. Such a pin-worthy bedroom. They do lots of nice faux fur cushions in next and asda at the moment if that helps. Really good quality ones too. We’re doing over our house soon and I can’t wait. We’ve painted the nursery but haven’t yet added the finishes. I desperately need to go shopping for things. xx #KCACOLS
    Chloe recently posted…#MYSUNDAYPHOTOMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:11 am

Thanks Chloe! We do have an Asda home store near to us which I keep meaning to check out. I love Next home stuff – especially the artwork. Good luck with doing up your house – it is so nice to get stuck in (and totally addicted to Pinterest of course!) xx

18. Reply
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    October 12, 2015 at 1:37 am

I love the whole room! The detail on the nightstands-love, the colors and textures make the room so cozy! I have the same mirrored jewelry box on my nightstand! Wish I had the modern crystal lamp too!!! I have lots of pillows in our room, but nothing with real texture, I love the way you’ve paired the stag and the knitted pillows, can’t wait to see the faux fur cushion when you find it. You have a talent for pulling together a room with all the little touches. Thanks for sharing. Pinning for future ideas for our room. Thanks!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…This Week, Week #41My Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Thanks so much, glad you like it! Good luck with decorating yours when you get around to it! x

19. Reply
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    October 12, 2015 at 1:39 am

And I forgot to mention the wedding photos, they look great in black and white and the frames are awesome!!!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Happy 5th Birthday Instagram! #Instafun #Instaawesome #InstafabulousMy Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Nikki! I think photographs are such an easy, inexpensive way to add personality to a room

20. Reply
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn}
    October 12, 2015 at 7:31 pm

I love your room. It looks very cosy and tranquil. Love the soft pink touches that tones the masculinity down. My favourite pieces are the lampshade and the pink throw.
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…#FabFridayPost Linky #3 {09.10.15}My Profile

October 12, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Thank you! I also love pink and grey as a combination – the throw really is lovely and a bargain at £20 too.Thanks for commenting x

21. Reply
    Maria @ Suburban Mum
    October 12, 2015 at 10:59 pm

What a lovely room! I love the colours. We don’t have a Dunelm over our way but I think I need to check them out online! ##KCACOLS
    Maria @ Suburban Mum recently posted…Leek, pea and ham farfalleMy Profile

October 13, 2015 at 9:06 am

Thanks Maria, glad you like it x

22. Reply
    Mommy's Little Princesses
    October 14, 2015 at 10:05 am

This looks so cosy and inviting! The colour scheme you went for is just brilliant and the hint of pink really goes well. Haha you now have me thinking about buying my eldest some more bedding Xx
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Our 7th Wedding Anniversary dinner…My Profile

October 17, 2015 at 10:29 am

Glad you like it, I do love pink and grey. You can never have too much bedding 🙂 xx

23. Reply
    Our Cherry Tree
    November 7, 2015 at 9:31 am

What a lovely room! The wedding photos above the bed are beautiful.
    I’ve been really stuck on what to do for our bedroom, this has giving me some motivation to get cracking – thank you!
    #JustAnotherLinky
    Our Cherry Tree recently posted…New Home Ideas – BedroomMy Profile

November 7, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Thanks so much! I got the wedding photos developed through Truprint and the frames are from Wilkos. I do love a good photo montage – such a cost effective way of creating a nice focal point. Good luck with yours! x

24. Reply
    Charlotte
    November 7, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Cute and cozy! I am a cushion hoarder ! I love them, especially when you snuggle in them like nests hahaha ! Thanks for sharing #justanotherlinky
    Charlotte recently posted…Indoor Cat CareMy Profile

November 11, 2015 at 11:04 pm

You and me both – I always get ‘told off’ by the hubby for buying too many scatter cushions! hehe

25. Reply
    sairish
    November 7, 2015 at 9:38 pm

i love it! mine was the opposite to you, our bedroom was the last we tackled (still not properly done) so i really need to get a move on with it!
    sairish recently posted…Why I changed my blog nameMy Profile

November 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm

It is so hard to finish a house once you start it isn’t it?! We seemed to have a mad dash at the beginning and now we’re on a ‘break’ – we just don’t have the energy at the moment – everything is half finished!

26. Reply
    Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    November 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Beautifully coordinated, I love the stag cushion, that would be perfect here in our properties
    Coombe Mill – Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Rudolph’s in a RutMy Profile

27. Reply
    Mumisthewordblog
    November 9, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I love this post. It seems so simple. It’s made me want to get my decorating head on and get cosy, unfortunately i have to move homes in the next couple of months so I’ll have to keep this page bookmarked! #marvmondays
    Mumisthewordblog recently posted…Thoughts of the Week.My Profile

28. Reply
    Sarah
    November 9, 2015 at 8:10 pm

What a lovely bedroom to retire to! Love your style and particularly the fairiske throw. We moved into our current house when I was pregnant and the last year has been so manic, we’ve do very little. I’m feeling inspired to prettify!
    Sarah recently posted…Easy Friday Food for FriendsMy Profile

November 11, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Thanks Sarah! You can be forgiven for not feeling like prettifying after such a manic year – I know the feeling! Good luck when you do get around to it 🙂

29. Reply
    beth
    November 9, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Love your bed/bedroom! Love the style and theme you have chosen and really does look cosy. Perfect for winter x
    beth recently posted…Comment Share Support #1 & IntroMy Profile

30. Reply
    Something Crunchy Mummy
    November 10, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Such a cosy bedroom makeover! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…My 4 Year Old Doesn’t Listen To MeMy Profile

November 11, 2015 at 3:32 pm

It is super cosy, I can’t wait to get into bed at the minute! xx

31. Reply
    Emily
    November 15, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Natalie, I love your bedroom makeover. I love greys and pinks, I think they are the perfect combination, and I totally agree, you can never have too many cushions! The little finishes really pull it together, your lamps, the throw, and the pictures are a great idea. Its given me a few great ideas of what we can do in our room to make it more cosy 🙂 Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays! Emily

32. […] winter I gave our bedroom a bit of a makeover. I wanted to create a cosy, inviting space that felt like ours again – following the ejection of Taylor into her own room! As part of […]

33. […] productive as a result. If you struggle to take yourself to bed, it may be worthwhile giving your bedroom a makeover to create a cosy retreat that you can’t wait to get into – I updated ours last year […]

34. […] I have developed a bit of a fondness for pink in recent years, incorporating it into our bedroom makeover last year, and this week I began my quest to update our living room with pink accessories and a […]

35. […] be clean and tidy. I’d rather spend money in HomeSense than Topshop and I’m a fan of redecorating areas of our house probably more than is […]