15 signs you’re a true Brit

signs you're British

signs you're BritishImage source

15 signs you’re British

1. You get super uncomfortable when someone praises you or tells you that you look good
  2. You really don’t think it’s necessary for people to touch your arm or get within three feet of you when having a conversation
  3. Someone will pull out on you when you’re driving and you get pissed off at yourself for not beeping at them
  4. You regularly swear at auto correct on Word – who decided that Americans can spell English??
  5. You get irrationally irritated if someone stands at the side of you and not behind you when you’re in a queue
  6. You debate over whether to include an emoticon, an exclamation mark or neither on that email. You decide on neither but then worry that you’re going to come across as ‘being arsey’
  7. You can’t sit in a waiting room without pretending that you have some really important matters that need attending to on your mobile
  8. You think nothing of cooking on the barbeque outside to bring the food inside to eat because it’s “too cold to eat outside”
  9. It pains you when someone makes you a cuppa and the teabag hasn’t been left to brew
    British cuppa

A ‘proper cuppa’

10. You feel like a dickhead sampling the bottle of wine at the table – and then order the whole bottle even though you didn’t really like it
  11. You spend 20 minutes saying how awful your meal is and then when the waiter asks “is everything okay with your meal?” you reply with “Yes, fine thanks.”
  12. It really angers you when you pull in to let an oncoming car pass and they don’t lift their hand to thank you
  13. You apologise when someone walks into you. And then get really angry when they tut at you
  14. You smile politely at the person who sits next to you on the train whilst secretly thinking ‘WHY ME??’
  15. You talk about the weather to at least three people every day

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Cornish Mum

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Jenny
    October 18, 2015 at 10:06 am

Very true except I do complain at restaurants! #KCACOLS
    Jenny recently posted…How not to help with night wakingMy Profile

2. Random Musings
    October 18, 2015 at 4:04 pm

These are all so true! The only ones I don’t do are the driving ones, and that’s only because I don’t drive lol 🙂 #SundayStars
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Origins Of HalloweenMy Profile

October 20, 2015 at 10:20 am

Glad you concur! I am such a British driver x

3. Harry's Honest Mummy
    October 18, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I have just laughed at every one of those down the list. I was howling at number 10 because I have NEVER seen anyone send a bottle back, and to be honest I would think they were bit of a knob for doing so hahaha! Brilliant post. #KCACOLS
    Harry’s Honest Mummy recently posted…Snapshot of the Week – #13My Profile

October 20, 2015 at 10:24 am

I might take a trip to the wild side and actually send it back the next time I don’t like it. But it would just feel so rude after they’ve opened it for you! I think because we really aren’t connoisseurs here we pretend we like it otherwise we look like we didn’t know what we were ordering in the first place – which is of course 100% correct! Glad you enjoyed the post xx

4. becca farrelly
    October 20, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Brilliant!! these are things on British people will do and understand. I particularly relate to numbers 1,3,10,11,13! Really made me chuckle 🙂

#KCACOLS
    becca farrelly recently posted…Weight-Loss Linky Post #4My Profile

October 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm

We are actually a pretty strange bunch really aren’t we?! Pleased I made you laugh 🙂

5. Sarah
    October 21, 2015 at 12:42 pm

This really made me laugh, I think I do all these things! I particularly like talking about the weather, and not being touched, and apologise to everyone! #WAYWOW
    Sarah recently posted…Edible Fruit ScabsMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Haha, I’m always so aware when I start making small talk about the weather – but I just can’t help myself!

6. Mary-In the boondocks
    October 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I just read all of these to my Anglophile daughter and she was nodding in appreciation of the quirks of the Brits. You guys are walking contradictions but in a very polite form. We Greeks are also walking contradictions but in a non polite, in your face form!! Keep calm.. (you probably hate that quote) 😉
    Mary-In the boondocks recently posted…Faking a Fall Vignette – Προσποιείται μια Φθινοπωρινή  βινιέταMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:49 am

Haha, I wish that we weren’t so polite to be honest – we’re such people pleases and always worrying that we might have offended someone. I think the Greeks have it just right – say exactly what you mean! x

7. Morgan Prince
    October 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Brilliant! There’s nothing more British than discussing the weather! 🙂 Loved it. x #KCACOLS
    Morgan Prince recently posted…Today I’m Me WishlistMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:45 am

Thanks so much! I hear myself discussing the weather sometimes and I think “why the hell am I discussing the weather again?” But what else would we discuss for small talk?? 🙂

8. John Adams
    October 21, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I’m sorry but No9 is causing me extreme pain. If I were given a cup of tea with the bag in I would be offended. But needless to say I wouldn’t say anything about it. #BrilliantBlogPosts
    John Adams recently posted…A few thoughts about sexism in schoolsMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:30 am

No, you definitely don’t leave the tea bag in!! But you do need to leave it to brew before it’s removed – in my British opinion that is 🙂

9. Angela at Daysinbed
    October 21, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Oh I loved reading this! I think I must be a true Brit lol! Visiting from #BrilliantBlogPosts

Angela
    Angela at Daysinbed recently posted…Human Growth Hormone Deficiency in Adults: My Diagnosis StoryMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:31 am

Thanks Angela! Glad you enjoyed the read

10. Victoria (Lylia Rose)
    October 22, 2015 at 10:19 am

Haha! I do 11 and 15 ALL THE TIME!! 🙂 Great post!
    Victoria (Lylia Rose) recently posted…MostlysMy Profile

11. Min
    October 22, 2015 at 10:42 am

Haha definitely numbers 10 and 11! I do like a very “lightly brewed” cup of tea though.
    Min recently posted…I Am Miranda, and My Mother is MagdaMy Profile

12. The Speed Bump
    October 22, 2015 at 11:54 am

These are all so true! I’m finding myself becoming less and less British though – the amount of times I talk about the weather is down to once a day at most! I’m betraying my heritage! Haha love this post. #coolmumclub
    The Speed Bump recently posted…Saturday Shopping With SBMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Talking about the weather less is definitely no bad thing! 🙂 x

13. Life Loving
    October 22, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Ha ha – “You get irrationally irritated if someone stands at the side of you and not behind you when you’re in a queue” – this is so me. I’m British, I queue. You must stand behind me and not too close. Brilliant!

Sally @ Life Loving
    #WAYWOW
    Life Loving recently posted…Meat Free Sausage and Bean CasseroleMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Ha, I take comfort in knowing that this happens to me because I’m British and not because I’m just weird. I also hate those barriers where you join the queue and then other people start to queue at the opposite end and you realise you’re stood at the exit! Lol x

14. Tracey Abrahams
    October 22, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Oh numbers 11 and 13 are so perfectly me. And 4 and 5. Actually every one apart from the driving ones. And I have a confession, I dont drink tea, so I think I may have disqualified myself as a true Brit.
    #Coolmumclub
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…My Happy Diary LinkyMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Haha, I am the other extreme and drink at least five cups a day – I don’t feel properly relaxed until I’ve had my cuppa! I’m thinking if you score 14 out of 15 you can class yourself as a true Brit! x

15. mummuddlingthrough
    October 22, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ha ha, yes to pretty much all of these (except, I hate to say #2, I’m a hugger). I love what makes us Brits what we are! Strange? Definitely! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub x MMT
    PS. If you lived with my husband, #15 would be 30 times a day…all with him aargh!
    mummuddlingthrough recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 3My Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with huggers – providing I know who they are! I definitely prefer a hug over one of those awkward British ‘should we, shouldn’t we?’ scenarios. My mum’s the worst with #15 – it’s more like 10 times a day! x

16. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love)
    October 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Lol, this is brilliant and all so very true! Auto-correct drives me mad when it tries to change something that I’ve spelled correctly! I’m also guilty of grumbling at restaurants and then saying “yes, fine thanks” when the waiter asks if everything is ok! 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…One day I will miss these momentsMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Lol, I am so bad for it! And then once the waiter’s left I think ‘why did I just say that?!’ I am more inclined to complain though if the meal’s expensive or it’s a special treat! It does annoy me when we spend a lot and the food/service is bad 🙂

17. Mila
    October 23, 2015 at 1:10 am

Number 6 and number 15 🙂
    It looks like I ‘ve got long way to go 😉
    Love the list!
    Mila recently posted…Idea Box-Thursday Link Party #33My Profile

October 25, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed the read! Thanks for stopping by x

18. Rebecca U
    October 23, 2015 at 10:35 am

haha yes to them all! Especially the one about someone sitting next to you on the train. What is worse is when they train gets emptier, do you move or wait for them to?! #thelist
    Rebecca U recently posted…The Best of Barcelona & Surrounding Areas | Guest PostMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Haha that is so true! There’s nothing more British than not wanting to offend a complete stranger by moving away from them – when you know that they’d prefer to be sat alone anyway! That should definitely have been number 16 x

19. Jade
    October 23, 2015 at 11:25 am

Ha!
    All true.
    I don’t even drive and if a driver doesn’t wind down their window to bestow upon me gratitude when I’ve allowed them to pass me on the narrow country lanes I go ape (in my head, never out loud…. that would be rude)
    Brilliant post.
    xx
    #CoolMumsClub
    Jade recently posted…From Bloody Marys to Hail MarysMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Exactly!! They can’t possibly be British 😉 xx

20. Baby Isabella
    October 23, 2015 at 11:30 am

What a fab post! Us British are definitely too proud to pipe up in certain situations! #TheList x
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Dark Days – Tough TimesMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thanks! I think ‘Stiff upper lip’ definitely still applies! x

21. Crummy Mummy
    October 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Yes to all of these! Too damn polite! #picknmix

22. Kim (sisterkin)
    October 23, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Haha so true – especially people not waving to say thank you when driving – that makes me so unexplainably mad! #picknmix
    Kim (sisterkin) recently posted…It’s a Twin Thing – Tandem TantrumsMy Profile

23. Rebecca
    October 23, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I love this, it made me laugh out loud, you’re so right with them all! Especially the emoticon / exclamation mark in an email 🙂 This is a blog comment so you’ve got both! x #TheList
    Rebecca recently posted…Frey at 8 monthsMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Haha – I think that’s why I like blogging so much – you don’t have to think so much about it! 🙂 x

24. Ness @ JibberJabberUK
    October 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Tick, tick, tick! My mum actually cooks barbecue meat in the oven first to make sure it is cooked through and then puts it on the barbecue before eating inside!
    Ness @ JibberJabberUK recently posted…Finance Fridays – Big Energy Saving WeekMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Haha, that is so so British – I love that! But of course we must have the ‘barbecue flavour’ if it’s summer – even if it is freezing cold and throwing it down! 🙂

25. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    October 24, 2015 at 3:28 am

This is so funny, for the first few I was wondering if I was British and my parents kidnapped me and brought me to America! LOL Then I realized that I have no idea what “tut” means, and I’m sure if I was British I would know that inherently, wouldn’t I? And then I realize that I brew a cup of tea in the microwave with the teabag in the cup as it’s cooking away. I’m sure a real Brit doesn’t cook their tea bags in the microwave, do they?
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Our Story-Click Here For Posts In OrderMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Haha, this really made me chuckle – yes you would definitely know what a ‘tut’ is if you’re British! What do that Americans call it?? I can’t think! Cooking a teabag in the microwave??? Yes, I can confirm you are definitely not a Brit! Hehe. I love the little quirks and nuances of different nationalities and cultures – it’s what makes this world so interesting! I’m definitely glad that the whole world isn’t British that’s for sure – we are far too polite for my liking – I annoy myself sometimes! 🙂 x

26. A Moment with Franca
    October 24, 2015 at 9:09 am

haha this is so funny!! I’m an outsider and I can agree that this list is true!!! LOL It is funny how it is so difficult for people to be more open or show too much their feelings! I’m completely different because I have a latin background. We are so open and we are more touchy. It was hard at the beginning to get use to that but now I know that when you know the people better they tend to be more open and less worried about what others will think. After being 11 years here I am so happy to be here and I love the people. Also I think people are changing more and more by the day! Thanks so much for joining me at #KCACOLS. I hope you can join me this weekend! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Bella’s 5 favourite songsMy Profile

October 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Hi Franca! I do agree that it is changing slightly – we even hug when we first meet people! I think we’re just always thinking too much about what others think of us or coming across as too forward – but that’s because we’re surrounded by other Brits! I’m all for people being more open. I’m glad you’ve grown to love our odd ways 😉 xx

27. This Mum's Life
    October 24, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Yes! All of them, but ESPECIALLY 10!!!! I cringe, and hate it, and feel totally ridiculous when I have to sample wine in front of the other people I’m with! Even the thought of having to do it makes me not want to visit restaurants! Great post!
    #coolmumsclub

October 25, 2015 at 7:18 pm

I know, I prefer to get asked if I want to sample it so that I can reply ‘no thanks, just pour it please’ – even if it means having a whole bottle that we won’t like! At the end of the day I’m no connoisseur so I wouldn’t know if it was bad or good anyway! Lol x

28. NewMummyBlog
    October 25, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hahaha yes yes yes, you’ve hit the nail on the head! Fab post and so so true #coolmumclub
    NewMummyBlog recently posted…Nappy changes with my crawling away 10 month oldMy Profile

29. #WAYWOW 22 - So Happy It's Wednesday!!! - View From In Here
    October 28, 2015 at 2:24 am

[…] 15 Signs you’re a true Brit from Natalie at Mum in Brum. […]

30. A Cornish Mum
    October 28, 2015 at 6:27 am

I actually hate how I automatically apologise when someone walks in to me, especially when they don’t say sorry back grr I always assume they must be a tourist 😉 I consider myself Cornish above any other label but apparently I’m very British!!
    Thanks for linking up to #Picknmix
    Stevie x
    A Cornish Mum recently posted…Christmas with Lily Charmed JewelleryMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Haha, it must be funny to assume everyone’s a tourist – I might start telling myself that too when someone annoys me! x 🙂

31. Pili
    October 28, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Ha ha, you made me laugh! I am not British definitely! Can’t be more Latin! I just do everything opposite to you… especially 2 and 14. I love hugging people, and train trips can be so boring. My fav ones are old ladies!
    Hugs (well, shaking hands in your case) 😉

Pili

November 5, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Haha, admittedly we are a bit of a strange bunch aren’t we?? We must seem pretty socially awkward to you latin lot! I’m all for a hug – just no stroking my arm!! 😉

1. Pili
        November 6, 2015 at 12:43 am

Well, all my British friends living here in Mallorca don’t seem socially awkward since they behave more like latin… I don’t know if that’s why they are living here, or living here makes them behave like that
        Pili recently posted…Treat Jar for Our DoggieMy Profile

32. Mummyandmonkeys
    October 29, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Yes to all of these! The queuing ones in particular. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    Mummyandmonkeys recently posted…Delicious Dairy Free Apple CrumbleMy Profile

33. […] of you who follow this blog will know that I’m a fan of all things British. So when the hubby suggested last year that we buy a sailing boat and learn to sail it, I was […]