A winter wedding theme

A winter wedding theme

I can’t believe it’s almost two years now since we got married. Last year on our first anniversary we celebrated having Taylor who was ten days old, so it really has been a roller coaster couple of years for us.

We knew that we wanted a winter wedding from the very beginning. I’m a bit of a control freak and couldn’t quite bring myself to plan an outdoorsy summer event (as much as I would’ve loved one) and rely on the British weather. Plus we were quite keen on having our honeymoon in South Africa, so once we found out that January was the best time to go, we started to plan our winter wedding for 28th December.

winter wedding flowersFrom the outset I found it quite difficult to find inspiration. The magazines and Pinterest boards were full of amazing colour schemes and ideas for the perfect summer wedding, but winter wedding theme inspration was not so easy to come by.  I knew that I wanted an ivory and silver ‘winter wonderland’ theme with rustic woodland touches. Wedding planners that I met with were keen to persuade me to choose a distinct accent colour, but I knew that keeping the theme neutral would work once all of the elements came together.

So I thought I would share some of our ideas with you – just in case you’re looking for inspiration for your own winter wedding theme!

winter wedding theme ideas

RUSTIC TOUCHES

Taking inspiration from nature (and various Pinterest boards!) I wanted to incorporate some ‘rustic’ elements in amongst the glitz and glamour of the day. We’re also quite outdoorsy, so it was fitting for us to try and incorporate this into our theme. We collected hundreds of pine cones on our dog walks and sprayed them with silver glitter spray to create personal name places. We also had a number of twig centre pieces to continue the woodland theme, and all of our tables were named after local walks and outdoor places that hold special memories for us.

Pine cone place names for winter weddingwishing treewinter wedding bouquet

Cosy favours

I’d read about summer weddings where the guests were given flip flops once the dancing commenced and had the idea of providing slippers. I bought these fluffy cream ones in bulk (from Primark of course!) alongside some silver pashminas that I bought online to make sure that our guests stayed cosy throughout the evening. The slippers were a hit with the ladies who were more than pleased to take off their heels for the dance floor (including myself!)

slippers for winter wedding theme

Magical metallics

Along with silver bridesmaid dresses and matching ties for the groomsmen, we added in plenty of metallics to create a glamorous, wintry feel. The venue was dressed with silver twigs and snowflake lights and we worked silver into our table settings with silver charger plates, tea light holders, candelabras, and menus.

winter wedding table setting ideaseating plan for winter wedding

Festive decorations

Finding finishing touches for our winter wedding theme was super easy since we were able to take advantage of budget-friendly festive buys on the high street. As well as mistletoe hanging from the ceiling, I loved this reindeer on the cake stand and I also used some festive wrapping paper to decorate our initials. We collected jars in the run up to the wedding which I wrapped in lace and used for tea lights to create a romantic feel once it got dark in the afternoon.

winter wedding cakewinter wedding theme ideas131228 082

WARMING TIPPLES

As well as champagne to celebrate after the ceremony, guests could also choose to have Winter Pimms – which went down a treat! It really was a nice touch and was great to have something a little different. I for one couldn’t get enough of it!

winter wedding drinkRedhouse Barn Bromsgrove weddingwedding at Redhouse Barn Bromsgrove

Would you consider a winter wedding?

All photography by Darren Gair. Our wedding was held at Redhouse Barn in Bromsgrove.

Theme ideas for a modern winter wedding

You Baby Me Mummy

Mummascribbles

Super Busy Mum

thumbnailsize

Robyn
    October 31, 2015 at 12:16 am

Great pics! I had a winter wedding too, I also didn’t want to be weather dependent and realised the best way to have an indoor wedding without regretting a gorgeous day outside was to have it in winter. It was extra lovely with all the tealights and fairy lights in our venue because it got dark out so early. The venue had a massive open fire and served mulled wine instead of champagne for the first round of drinks. Plus we got our choice of vendors because we weren’t competing with any other events. I was really happy with it. Love your fluffy slippers for guests.
    Robyn recently posted…PIKELETS – WEEKEND BAKING RECIPEMy Profile

2. Reply
    The Speed Bump
    November 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Beautiful pictures and some great inspiration! We’re hoping to have a winter wedding, and we’d already said we’ll have blankets etc for guests but I love the idea of slippers too, that will go down a treat with our family and friends! We’ll be doing mulled wine or hot chocolate for people alongside the usual champers, and a Christmas dinner as the meal! There’s so many benefits to having a winter wedding, I can’t understand why it’s not more popular!

#KCACOLS
    The Speed Bump recently posted…Officially A Graduate!My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Aw you will love your wedding, your plans sound great! I agree that there are so many benefits to having a winter wedding – as ours was on 28th too everyone was still in the Christmas spirit and there was no going back to work the next day which was great. You should definitely go for slippers – they were a winner! x

3. Reply
    A Moment with Franca
    November 1, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I love this post!! A winter wedding is so magical!! Your decoration is beautiful and you look gorgeous!! I love all the little details that you have chosen!! What a coincidence that we both posted photos of our wedding this week!! 😉 Thanks so much for joining me this week at #KCACOLS. I hope to you join me again on Sunday! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Happy Halloween!My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Thanks lovely, it made me very nostalgic writing this post – I just want to do it all again! But obviously to the same man 😉 xx

4. Reply
    Lucy at occupation:(m)other
    November 1, 2015 at 8:50 pm

These are great ideas! I love the neutrality with the touch of sparkle, really pretty. And you look gorgeous! Fab dress too. The pine cones are sweet – I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and they had collected big autumn leaves and sprayed them goldy bronze then written the names on them for place settings, I thought that was a cracking autumn wedding idea. But back to winter…lovely post! #KCACOLS

November 5, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Thanks Lucy! I love seasonal inspired weddings – there’s so much you can do! I’ve yet to go to an autumn themed one but those place names sound very cool. I need some more friends to get married so that I can plan another! x

5. Reply
    Nadia - ScandiMummy
    November 2, 2015 at 11:33 am

Wow! Everything looks gorgeous – and you look stunning in your dress. Very clever with the pine cones, too! You really made everything come together beautifully. Great for anyone looking for inspiration. #KCACOLS

Nadia – ScandiMummy x
    Nadia – ScandiMummy recently posted…LATCH BOTTLE BY MUNCHKIN – REVIEWMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Thanks so much Nadia x

6. Reply
    @alex_keno
    November 3, 2015 at 7:49 am

Your winter wedding looks amazing. I bet your guests loved stepping in to your winter wonderland. Love the pashmina & slippers idea too!
    Hope you have a fab anniversary this year!
    #TwinklyTuesday

November 5, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Thanks so much! Hopefully the anniversary will be a different affair this year with a baby that actually lets us sleep and gives us a spare minute to go out and buy cards for one another!

7. Reply
    Kat @ Eat.Love.Live
    November 3, 2015 at 9:02 am

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. Your wedding styling is absolutely beautiful. I love your winter theme X #twinklytuesday
    Kat @ Eat.Love.Live recently posted…Sunday Mini Styles #27My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Thanks so much, wish we could do it all again! x

8. Reply
    Chloe
    November 3, 2015 at 9:41 am

Ohhh wow what an absolutely stunning wedding. I’m really loving the idea of a winter wedding more and more now. We’re planning on getting married in the not too distant future but I am such a perfectionist I think I would spend so long planning it. I love everything above, it’s so beautiful. You look really stunning and I love the idea of the rustic winter theme. Mmmm winter pimms sounds amazing! xx #twinklytuesday
    Chloe recently posted…#MYSUNDAYPHOTOMy Profile

November 11, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Thanks Chloe! I would definitely get married in winter all over again – there’s something really magical about it. Plus when it gets dark in the afternoon everywhere feels so romantic with candles etc. I did get completely obsessed in the planning of it – Pinterest was my obsession! I felt a little lost when it was all over! xx

9. Reply
    Baby Isabella
    November 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Great round-up and inspiration 🙂 love the images! My folks had a winter wedding 10 years ago as well and loved the time of year! #TwinklyTuesday
    Baby Isabella recently posted…My spooktacular weekend!My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:32 pm

I really don’t think you can go wrong with a winter wedding – provided you prepare for the weather of course! As it turned out we were so lucky with the weather but it wouldn’t have mattered either way. x

10. Reply
    Lisa (mummascribbles)
    November 3, 2015 at 10:22 pm

What a beautiful wedding. Ii love the idea of a winter wedding. I was bridesmaid at one once, in January, it was freezing but so beautiful. The reception was in a castle and it even snowed! It was perfectly wintry! I would definitely consider my own winter wedding (if we ever get round to getting married!). Your photos are just stunning 🙂 Happy anniversary! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…Twinkly Tuesday {3/11/15}My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Thank you! That wedding sounds amazing – we would’ve loved snow, but then not too much I suppose! I would definitely recommend a winter wedding – it was so nice to get married around Christmas time too as everyone was in the party spirit. Hopefully you’ll get around to marriage soon – at least you still have it all to look forward to! 🙂

11. Reply
    NewMummyBlog
    November 3, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Your wedding looks amazing, so magical. I love the pine cones, silver theme and slippers, and your dress was gorgeous. I agree with your thoughts on winter being more controllable, we had a September wedding for the same reason (with family scattered over the country we couldn’t risk snow delaying guests!) #thelist
    NewMummyBlog recently posted…October Review, November AimsMy Profile

12. Reply
    Let kids be kids
    November 4, 2015 at 9:59 am

We had a winter wedding for similar reasons and loved it. Ours was christmas themed (as we love xmas). Winter pimms is a lovely idea, we had mulled wine which everyone loved. Your wedding looks gorgeous.
    #MMWBH
    Let kids be kids recently posted…Fireworks science & art activitiesMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Your wedding sounds fab! There’s something very magical about getting married at Christmas time isn’t there? I also loved having the Christmas holidays to get everything planned beforehand. And going on honeymoon in January and escaping the British weather was perfect!

13. Reply
    Sarah James
    November 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm

What a beautiful wedding Natalie, the photos are stunning. I love all the details, from the pine cones to the fluffy slippers & pashminas, a wonderful touch. Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Sarah James recently posted…Spicy Pumpkin & Cranberry ChutneyMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Thanks so much Sarah x

14. Reply
    Mary-the boondocks blog
    November 4, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Natalie, you were such a beautiful bride. I had a Fall wedding so I guess it would not bother me when it was, as long as you are marrying your soul mate that is all that matters. It was a beautiful wedding, and i just love all of those rustic touches. Congratulations and many more.
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…The Chivalrous Trunk  – Το Ιπποτικό ΜπαούλοMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Thanks so much! You are so right – at the end of the day when all of the guests have left all that matters is that you’ve married your best friend and soul mate. But it was soooo much fun!! I’m yet to go to a fall wedding but I’ve seen some great theme ideas.

15. Reply
    Michelle Reeves (The Essex Barn)
    November 5, 2015 at 6:53 am

Wow Natalie you did an incredible job – your wedding looks stunning! Love all the accessories you chose and the slippers and pashminas was an inspired touch. And can I just say how STUNNING you look too! x

P.S. I run a happy post linky called #ShareTheJoy over at my other site – TheJoyChaser.com – and I’d love you to link up this lovely post over there on Monday if you’d like to!
    Michelle Reeves (The Essex Barn) recently posted…How to create a JOY lightMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Michelle! Glad you like it, it was so much fun to plan – I really missed it once it was all over! But now I have my lovely hubby of course. I will definitely check out your linky it sounds great, thanks for letting me know x

16. Reply
    Catie: An imperfect mum
    November 5, 2015 at 10:01 am

Congratulations on your anniversary. Your wedding looked magical. Very classy! I loved the metallics and your cake toppers were inspired! A very stylish affair. #brilliantblogposts
    Catie: An imperfect mum recently posted…Autism & Us: Positive Ways of Working on self confidenceMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Thanks! Last year’s anniversary came and went with a 10 day old newborn, so I’m hoping that we’ll be ab;e to celebrate it a little more this year! Thanks for commenting x

17. Reply
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    November 9, 2015 at 5:43 am

You my friend do not only make an absolutely stunning bride, you are an incredible event planner and decorator. So talented. I had a summer wedding, it just worked that way. But I love how stunning your winter wedding was. The rustic, silver, “snow”, white! Love it. I’m glad you did not give in to the wishes of others and choose a main color. I love it just the way it is. Striking! The crystals and glass! Love it. And the stairway with the pine garland and your pictures, really cool and unique. Perhaps you should help other brides? You are very talented!!!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Changed, if we are lucky enough, we become better.My Profile

November 11, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Nikki! So glad you like the theme, it really did all come together just as I imagined it would on the day. I would love to be a wedding planner – I’ve looked into it a couple of times actually. Who knows? Maybe one day! 🙂

18. Reply
    Honest mum
    November 9, 2015 at 11:37 pm

So stunning, you, the wedding, simply magical! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts
    Honest mum recently posted…Carluccio’s Pappardelle ai Funghi (Pappardelle With Mushrooms) & Win A Christmas Hamper Box Worth £25.95My Profile

November 11, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Thanks so much! I want to do it all again! x

19. Reply
    The Speed Bump
    November 14, 2015 at 10:34 am

I know I’ve commented on this previously but #JustAnotherLinky brought me back! The more I see these pictures, the more I love it and know we’ve made the right decision to go for winter! Just beautiful!
    The Speed Bump recently posted…A Toddler’s Personal StatementMy Profile

November 15, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much! You’re going to have such an amazing day, I wouldn’t have changed anything about ours it was just perfect in winter x

20. Reply
    Something Crunchy Mummy
    November 18, 2015 at 4:19 pm

What a beautiful wedding you planned! I rushed our wedding as I started planning when Finley was 3 months old but it was still my perfect day. Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…Wicked Wednesdays #41My Profile

November 23, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Thanks so much! It was nice to have ample time to plan it – but sometimes I think you can have too much time and can get a little obsessed! I cannot imagine planning a wedding with a 3 month old – you did well to get down the aisle! xx

21. Reply
    Rebecca U
    November 19, 2015 at 10:52 am

it looks so gorgeous! we had a winter wedding too (2nd Jan) and although cold, it was clear blue sky – more sun than I’ve seen at summer weddings I’ve been to #coolmumclub
    Rebecca U recently posted…Thoughts LatelyMy Profile

November 23, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Thanks so much – we were exactly the same with the weather, so lucky. On the photos you would actually think it was a summer’s day (apart from the coats!)

22. Reply
    Talya
    November 19, 2015 at 11:15 am

What a gorgeous Winter wedding! Absolutely perfect in every day and a beautiful bride to boot. Thanks so much for linking up to #coolmumclub and happy anniversary xx
    Talya recently posted…Welcome to the #coolmumclub linky…week 6!My Profile

23. Reply
    November 19, 2015 at 11:25 am

Wow so beautiful… I love the idea of a winter wonderland theme. Obviously (?!) hopefully I won’t be getting married again lol, but this is a fab read for anyone planning a wedding xx #coolmumclub
    Mummuddlingthrough recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 7My Profile

24. Reply
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller
    November 19, 2015 at 6:33 pm

What a beautiful wedding. I love the slippers – I could have done with those at my wedding! We got married in August and had a Navy theme – not very original as Mr TB is in the Royak Navy. There was so much uniform everywhere that it seemed right to bring in other nautical details #coolmunclub
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…Travel Timehop #41: Paris, 2006My Profile

25. Reply
    Life as Mum
    November 20, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Oh WOW. Such beautiful photos and a gorgeous stunning wedding! The theme is perfect and you look gorgeous!
    Thanks for linking up with #justanotherlinky
    Life as Mum recently posted…Decorate A Family-Friendly HomeMy Profile

November 26, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Ah thanks so much! x

26. Reply
    Kayla
    November 21, 2015 at 12:53 am

You had a beautiful wedding! I actually had my wedding in early December so I understand the struggles. We only had 3 months to plan and an exceptionally tight budget so we ended up relying on a lot of items from my mother-in-law’s storage and donations from friends and the church. It turned out quite beautiful, all things considered. Your ideas were gorgeous, though! If I could do it again, I would take some tips from you.

November 26, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Thanks so much, your wedding sounds like it all came together beautifully. I don’t think you can go wrong with adding plenty of personal touches 🙂