Newly refurbished Beefeater – The Plough, Solihull

The plough, beefeater Solihull

This week we were invited along to our local Beefeater restaurant – The Plough in Shirley (Solihull), following a significant refurbishment earlier this year. We used to visit The Plough every once in a while before we had Taylor to enjoy a leisurely evening in the beer garden (oh, the days!), but we haven’t been for quite some time so I was looking forward to seeing the changes since the refurbishment.

Review of The Plough, ShirleyAnd we weren’t disappointed! The investment that has been put into The Plough is evident from the moment you walk through the door. The new-look Beefeaters have a feel much more akin to a modern country pub, rather than that of a large restaurant chain. The style is contemporary with warm neutral tones complimented by oak-effect feature walls, open fire places and natural planters giving it a rustic edge. There’s also several nods to the Beefeater speciality (steak in case you missed it) with fun cow artwork and quirky feature pieces dotted around the restaurant.

new look at The Plough, SolihullThe Plough, SolihullThe Plough ShirleyMy favourite part of the refurbishment was the open kitchen where you can see the chefs cooking your meal – something you don’t usually tend to see in large restaurant chains and another feature which I think makes it feel somehow more wholesome. Perhaps it’s just me, but I definitely trust the food and its preparation more if the restaurant’s happy for me to see it being prepared!

Chefs at The Plough Solihull, Beefeater

If I’m honest, I probably haven’t eaten at a Beefeater for years – not for any reason in particular, it’s just not somewhere I would usually make a special effort to visit and we don’t have one on our doorstep. But I have to say that I was extremely impressed by both the food and the service that we received.

It was so lovely for us to get out as a family and have someone else do the cooking for a change! There are lots of options to choose from on the menu, so whether you’re wanting a feast or you prefer a lighter healthy option there’s something to suit every appetite. Personally I was starving and didn’t hesitate in ordering some beef koftas and garlic king prawns to start. We also had a flat bread to share which was huge! But at least it took my hanger away (according to Mr M I get a little angry when hungry!!)

lamb kofters BeefeaterGarlic Prawns at The Plough Solihull

We’ve just recently started to order Taylor food from the children’s menu when we eat out (as opposed to me pulling out squashed Dairylea sarnies and soggy carrot sticks), so I’m always keen to see what Taylor thinks of these new experiences. We asked for Taylor’s food to be served asap and the waitress made sure that it was brought out first. We ordered her the cod fingers, chips and peas which kept her thoroughly happy throughout the duration of our meal – she’s only 11 months but she ate every last bit! I find giving her peas to chase around her tray is THE BEST for buying us time to eat our own dinner…

20151116_123139On to the mains and I ordered the sticky bourbon BBQ ribs, whilst Dave opted for a medium-rare sirloin steak. Both were super tasty and Dave’s steak was cooked to perfection.bbq beef ribssteak

Before we left, Taylor was given one of the Beefeater balloons which was quite literally the best toy she’s ever had! She’s still playing with it now almost one week later – despite the fact that it no longer rises and has deflated to the size of a tennis ball. So thank you for that also Beefeater.

On the whole we had a fantastic meal and the renovation really has been worth every penny, completely transforming The Plough. The restaurant is a lovely place to be in and there’s certainly none of the complacency that often comes with the larger restaurant chains (in my opinion!) with the staff being super friendly and accommodating. I would definitely not think twice about eating in a Beefeater restaurant the next time we pass one.

menu at The Plough

Disclosure: The Plough provided us with our meal in return for an honest review

Run Jump Scrap!
Super Busy Mum

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
thumbnailsize

1. Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap)
    November 25, 2015 at 1:41 pm

This is just down the road from me as I live in Solihull and I have passed it many times on my way to Tesco! It looks fab inside. I like the way you can see the chefs too. The food looks delicious and very well cooked and even better your daughter ate every mouthful. I may have to take a trip as has been a while for me too! Thanks for linking with #bestandworst and see you soon xx
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…Best and Worst Week #28My Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Haha I had no idea you were so close! You should definitely give The Plough a try with your family, we were really impressed with the service and the staff were really lovely. xx

2. Rachel
    November 25, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Oh I used to go there all the time too! The refurb is lovely! Looks like a lovely meal too! ‘bestandworst xx

November 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm

It really was! They’ve done a great job of the refurb x

3. Life as Mum
    November 25, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I’ve never been there before. Looks and sounds fab! Food look delicious. x

November 28, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I would highly recommend it, the food was scrummy! x

4. Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby
    November 26, 2015 at 8:29 am

Me and my family is a great fan and lover of Beefeater Restaurant as we have one nearby. Compared to other restaurants, they’re the best. Their food is of top quality. Customer service is excellent. We really can’t fault the restaurant, that’s why when there’s a special occasion we always choose to go there to dine in. #brillblogposts
    Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby recently posted…Yearning for my mama – My Captured MomentMy Profile

November 28, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Hi Cheryl, I hadn’t been to a Beefeater in years before this but I really was impressed. A great choice for families with little ones and the service really was fab. x

5. Talya
    November 26, 2015 at 9:37 am

Wow now that is not Beefeater as I remember it…it looks pretty slick and now I’m thinking I need to seek one out close by to us! Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub lovely x
    Talya recently posted…Welcome to the #coolmumclub linky…week 8!My Profile

November 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Yes, it’s certainly different from what I remember! The menu wasn’t too shabby either! Definitely worth a try one rainy day if you have one nearby xx

6. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    November 27, 2015 at 8:31 pm

This looks like a great place! I love the rustic decor and the cow art! Really cool. I love rustic up against sleek and new. Kinda like your kitchen decor! And the food looks yummy. It’s so hard to find someplace for the entire family to dine, I think you found it! It’s rare and it seems like a great night out!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Are You In Control of Your Comment Section?My Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:34 pm

It really was a great meal out and they have done such a good job with the makeover. Perhaps I liked it so much because it reminded me of my own kitchen decor!? Hehe

7. Jessica Powell
    November 29, 2015 at 3:11 pm

It looks great! I love that cow cuts board in the first pic, fab for teaching kids about where their dinner’s coming from. I have to admit I’m the opposite about the open kitchens though – it just reminds me too much of working in one! I prefer it to be out of sight and mind, lol. 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Jessica Powell recently posted…Age of DeceptionMy Profile

8. Something Crunchy Mummy
    November 29, 2015 at 5:21 pm

It looks great and that food looks so yummy! #bestandworst xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…Just Another Linky #31My Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:35 pm

They’ve done a great job xx

9. tracey bowden
    December 3, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I haven’t been to a Beefeater for years but this one looks lovely especially the food! Will have to look and see if I have one local to me #KCACOLS
    tracey bowden recently posted…Christmas Stocking Fillers from SnapfishMy Profile

December 5, 2015 at 10:02 am

I would definitely recommend it Tracey! x

10. Something Crunchy Mummy
    December 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Popping back from #justanotherlinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…Gro-to-Bed ~ ReviewMy Profile

11. A Moment with Franca
    December 5, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Oh wow Natalie!!! Your photos are amazing!! Look that food!! You are making me really hungry now!!! I love Beefeater. Their food is really good and this newly refurbished one looks even better than ever!! They are always a good option to eat!! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. As you already know I love having you here and after being my guest co-host a couple of weeks ago you are now a very important part of this linky!! 😉 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…London Ethnic at the Houses of ParliamentMy Profile