Braving the cold at Baddesley Clinton

Baddesley Clinton manor house

A couple of weeks back on a murky Sunday I persuaded Mr M that we should take a drive out to the motored manor house that is Baddesley Clinton. Mr M was much more enthusiastic about ‘getting things done around our house’ (the same things we do every Sunday that seem to need doing again by Monday), but I was keen to get out and enjoy our one day of the week that we get to spend together.

Baddesley Clinton manor houseNaturally, I won, and so we threw on our wellies and raincoats and drove the twenty minutes to The Forest of Arden. We took out National Trust membership earlier this year but I forgot our membership cards (duh). Luckily the nice man at reception believed us and let us through.Baddesley Clinton welcome sign

Baddesley Clinton is a medieval moated house with a fascinating history. Home to the Ferrers family for 500 years, the house served as a refuge for Catholic priests facing persecution in Tudor times. Being a bit of a history boff myself (I like to think), I loved hearing from the tour guides the stories and seeing for myself the ‘priest hides’ down the toilet shaft. Mr M was just happy to get warm I think, and Taylor just wanted to eat all of the herbs that are out on display in the ‘Tudor kitchen’…

The Great Hall is dominated by a magnificent stone chimney place and there are various records and relics to discover. From here we visited all the other rooms including the drawing room, the chapel, library and Henry Ferrers’ bedroom, and tour guides were on hand to give us an overview of the history and answer ourΒ questions. The house was personally my favourite out of the National Trust properties we’ve visited so far – I liked how intimate it feels and you can really imagine how it used to be as a family home.Baddesley Clinton Barn Restaurant

After our house tour, we headed over to the Barn Restaurant, where they had a range of warming hearty meals on offer. I opted for the lasagna, which was delicious. Dave had already eaten but couldn’t resist the chocolate brownie – Taylor also had a couple of nibbles! The canteen is lovely and bright and the chefs use as many ingredients as possible from the Baddesley Clinton vegetable garden.

There’s an idyllic courtyard at the front of the restaurant which I imagine would be perfect to sit in during the summer – not surprisingly it wasn’t ‘sitting out’ weather in November! In the courtyard there’s also a Plant Centre where you can purchase garden accessories and furniture, as well as quality plants and herbs.

Baddesley Clinton Plant Centre

Unfortunately we didn’t get to see the gardens as it was so cold and wet, plus Taylor was getting pretty grumpy so we decided to call it a day. But we will definitely be returning in the summer months to take a walk through the woodland nature trail and around the lake. There’s also aΒ formal walled garden with flower borders and fruit trees and various vegetable gardens to explore.

All in all we had a lovely afternoon, but as is often the case with England – it would be better in the summer!

A day out at Baddesley Clinton

What’s your favorite National Trust place to visit?

thumbnailsize

Life Unexpected

1. veronica lee
    November 27, 2015 at 1:50 am

I have a fascination for all thing medieval and I would love, love, love to visit BADDESLEY CLINTON! Great pictures and lovely story, BTW!

#KCACOLS
    veronica lee recently posted…NutcrackerMy Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm

It really is a great place to visit if you love medieval – it really takes you back in time!

2. Arthurwears
    November 29, 2015 at 10:26 am

Sounds lovely – I can’t wait until Arthur is big enough to appreciate visiting place like this. We also have a bit of an obsession with having a ‘getting things done’ day which never seems to be ‘done’ by the end of it! #KCACOLS
    Arthurwears recently posted…Car safety – our cargo is too precious to forget these important points!My Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I am the same as you – it will be lovely when Taylor’s a little older and wander aorund on her own when we visit these places – but I mustn’t wish these cute months away!

3. Jessica Powell
    November 29, 2015 at 3:07 pm

It looks lovely! I’ve been around most of the local (south wales) historical sites but farther afield is a totally different story – still I hope to change that when Marianna’s a little older. She will have no choice but to be into history, I think! πŸ™‚ #KCACOLS
    Jessica Powell recently posted…This Week #11My Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Ha, I’m hoping Taylor will be the same! Her Dad on the other hand is a different story – I’ve tried and failed! But at least he likes the outdoors and a good lunch πŸ™‚

4. Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme)
    December 1, 2015 at 10:21 pm

What a lovely looking Manor House. I really should start exploring National Trust sites, i bet there is so much i am missing out on! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday
    Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme) recently posted…Fitness as a beginnerMy Profile

December 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I would highly recommend the National Trust – it really gets you out and about and there really is so much to see!

5. Claire at Tin Box Traveller
    December 2, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I love a bit of history and this NT properly sounds like it’s packed full of it. We’re hoping to go to Mottifont Abbey in Hampshire this weekend. Fingers crossed the weather will be OK and we won’t get caught up in too many of those pesky jobs at home! #KCACOLS
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…10 reasons to visit Southampton a part from cruisingMy Profile

December 5, 2015 at 9:52 am

Good luck with visiting Mottifont Abbey – hope you don’t get blown away!! The weather is pretty lively this morning πŸ™‚

6. Talya
    December 3, 2015 at 11:45 am

Ah love days out like these just not enough sunshine days to enjoy them in eh? Thanks so much for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xx
    Talya recently posted…Welcome to the #coolmumclub linky….week 9!My Profile

7. Something Crunchy Mummy
    December 3, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Looks great and a lovely family day out. Thanks for linking up with #justanotherlinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…Gro-to-Bed ~ ReviewMy Profile

8. Tracey Abrahams
    December 3, 2015 at 8:35 pm

This looks like just my type of place to visit. Living where I do right on the wales England boarder we have a fair few medieval castles near by like chepstow, Rhaglan and Caerphilly, but none that are not in ruins. #Coolmumclub
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…Living With Panic AttacksMy Profile

December 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Ah, there are some great castles in Wales – I remember visiting Conway once on a school trip! I secretly quite like the ruins – so much more authentic when they haven’t been renovated πŸ™‚

9. Holly
    December 4, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Stumbled across your website after NT retweeted your blog post about Baddesley Clinton – I’m a SUCKER for Baddesley. My husband is a NT volunteer and works his digital magic for them on their website, and we had our wedding day photographs taken there earlier this year!

So glad I’ve found your blog, as I’m a soon-to-be Mum-near-Brum and will be looking through your old posts for tips and hints and keeping an eye out for more fun days out with little ones!

December 12, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting Holly! Baddesley really is a lovely place – what a great location for your wedding photos! We really do need to visit again once it gets warmer so that we can enjoy the gardens. So glad you found my blog – hope you found some other relevant posts. And all the best for the rest of your pregnancy and with your little one, such exciting times ahead for you! πŸ™‚

10. Jenny
    December 5, 2015 at 2:20 pm

It looks like a lovely house to visit! Baddesley Clinton definitely seems like an interesting house and I love that it has a moat too! Must have been useful for defending the property. We live in Scotland so no National Trust properties to visit, but there are lots of castles owned by Historic Scotland, which we love to visit.
    Thanks so much for linking up to #Whatevertheweather πŸ™‚ x
    Jenny recently posted…Bucket List Calendar and Competition with SnapfishMy Profile

December 5, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Ah Scotland has some amazing castles, I’ve only visited a couple of times but I loved it! Would love to visit again soon – so beautiful and so much to see xx

11. Chloe
    December 6, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I love, love. love the National Trust and I love everything medieval so this would be right up my street. I’m glad yon won and got to visit! πŸ˜€ It sounds like the perfect day out and definitely worth a revisit in summer to take advantage of the gardens. The Barn sounds so yummy too! Thank you so much for linking to #whatevertherweather. xx
    Chloe recently posted…#MYSUNDAYPHOTOMy Profile

December 12, 2015 at 3:00 pm

It was a fab day out Chloe! We definitely do need to revisit in the summer – it’s so lovely to have NT properties nearby to visit and enjoy isn’t it? xx