Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree

Christmas tree decisions

On Saturday evening we went to buy our Christmas tree.

Every year since becoming an adult I’ve always opted for a real Christmas tree – my parents had a fake one when I was growing up and I admit, I felt a little bit cheated (sorry mum). A real tree has always seemed novel to me and I also love going to choose our tree (we always affectionately name him Trevor), which has become somewhat of a tradition for Mr M and I since the first year we moved in together. Each year we go to the same farm and it marks the beginning of us getting all giddy for the festive season.

Christmas tree decisions

So I was excited. We left the house just after Taylor had her dinner around 5.30. The plan was to go get the tree, return home to bath and put Taylor to bed, before we would crack open a bottle of red and decorate the Christmas tree together to our ‘Now That’s What I Call Christmas’ CD.

But in reality, it was a little different…

We decided that we didn’t really have enough time to drive to the tree farm after all and instead decided to check out the trees that we’d seen outside the Morrisons store just down the road from us. After deliberating for less that five minutes minutes we decided on a 6ft Christmas tree that was £45 – a little steep we thought, but oh well, we’re here now. And then we realised that they couldn’t put a plank of wood on the bottom like we normally have and we would have to buy a base for £22….

So back in the car we got and drove to our beloved tree farm. “Why didn’t we just come here in the first place? Look how much choice there is!” We said. “And so much more festive!” We said. But we had forgotten the problems that come with having a choice.

We just couldn’t find Trevor. Some were just not right (the same width all the way up?!), others were just slightly imperfect – too bushy at the bottom or sparse at the top, others were just not symmetrical enough or unmistakably lopsided. And what of the different Christmas tree types? “That one’s quite prickly…Isn’t that the same as we had that year when all the needles dropped off?” After holding up and spinning around over 10 different trees for me, Mr M was getting a little narked off…”Let’s go and have a look in the potted section!” I said.

But still we couldn’t find Trevor. They were just a little too short, or too tall. And then there was that moment where somebody else came along and showed an interest in a tree that I’d just dismissed. Suddenly it looked like the perfect tree. “Why is he still looking at it? Move away! Oh no, he’s going to take it!! Quick he’s looked away – let’s go grab it!”

And so we found Trevor and have given him a loving home….needless to say it was pretty late by the time we got Taylor bathed and in bed. We carried the tree in, collapsed on the sofa and ordered a Chinese. The tree decorating would have to wait until tomorrow.

I think next year we will get a fake one…

Run Jump Scrap!

1. Robyn
    December 9, 2015 at 2:07 am

What a great tale of your quest to find the best Christmas tree. We always had real ones growing up but this year we’ve bought a fake one and I’m surprisingly happy with it (and relieved I won’t have to dispose of it after the season). I hope the decorating went well once you got to it.
    Robyn recently posted…CHRISTMAS – SUMMER V. WINTERMy Profile

December 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Yep, disposing of it afterwards is always a lot more difficult than you think – plus I always feel a little cruel, just using it, dressing it and making it feel special just to throw it away afterwards! 🙂

2. helen gandy
    December 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Ahhh I’m pleased you found Trevor 🙂 For a moment I though that you might not have found one….ahh but you did, yey! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst and hope to see you again 🙂 x
    helen gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #30My Profile

December 9, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Haha, I don’t think the hubby would’ve let me leave without one after all that time looking! x

3. Chellie
    December 10, 2015 at 12:17 am

Isn’t it funny, all the thought we put into certain things? So, when I was growing up, we had 2 fake trees, indoors, and 1 real tree outdoors on our screened in porch. So kind of inside, but we had snow, so not like you’re sitting out there. We never went and picked out the real tree as a family, it just kind of showed up. I guess my dad just picked one up. Fast forward. After being married to a guy that always had a real tree, from a tree farm , that you cut down yourself, we went that route. It was lovely, it smelled nice, we were making memories. Fast forward again, and now we have a baby. Carrying a carseat around in the snow with a crying kid was not fun. We went to the store and bought a fake one. 4 kids later, we are still using it! ha! But I was just thinking this year, that the kids are probably old enough to trek out and cut down a tree. Maybe next year. The only problem from here on out with a real tree, is someone has to water it. I have no live plants in my house… need I say more? 🙂

December 12, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Haha, I guess it is a nice experience going to pick the tree now that your kids are old enough to enjoy it! I’m also terrible at forgetting to water my plants – we always have a wooden block put on the bottom of the tree – which actually feels a little cruel!! x

4. Katie
    December 10, 2015 at 9:05 am

We compromised and have one of each. One in the lounge and one on the landing. we use the real one for the lounge and present and the landing for the kids (I include my self in this) to decorate!!

5. Rebecca U
    December 10, 2015 at 1:04 pm

We always had a real tree going up and I have such fond memories of going to choose a tree. We’ve had real since we’ve been together but they’ve been getting smaller and smaller with the kids. Until they will stop grabbing everything, I think it will have to remain on the table ha x
    Rebecca U recently posted…Win a TWISTSHAKE Baby Bottle!My Profile

December 12, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Very wise! Mine is looking more and more dishevelled each day! x

6. Talya
    December 10, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Haha love it, getting a real tree is a bit of a mission but that’s part of the fun – errr, or is it? We lived in Asia for four years with a fake tree and so we are still running on the high of being able to get new ones…second year in…wonder how long that will last then? Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub chicky xx
    Talya recently posted…Welcome to the #coolmumclub…week 10!My Profile

December 12, 2015 at 2:34 pm

As much as I moan I do think it is all part of the fun. Although the needles are already starting to drop!! 🙂 xx

7. absolutely prabulous
    December 12, 2015 at 12:59 am

I just can’t bear the expense each year and the disposal and the needles. Shall I go on? Ha ha. But I do think it’s nice not knowing what your tree is going to look like each year. We don’t have any surprises. It’s the same each year. There again, that’s where innovative decorating comes in (not that I do that either!). I do love trees though. Magical. Merry Christmas! #CoolMumClub
    absolutely prabulous recently posted…7 Christmas Traditions That Stress Me Out!My Profile

December 12, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Haha, real trees do seem to be getting more expensive every year and to be hinest, ours has already started dropping needles – which I have to stop Taylor from eating! I’m not even going to think about the disposal of it yet! It does look pretty though 🙂

8. Elizabeth
    December 12, 2015 at 6:37 am

I’ve always had a fake tree except for one Christmas. I much prefer the false trees, and not just because it reduces the cutting of trees when we need as many as we can get!
    Elizabeth recently posted…Holiday Gift Guide for Kids – Vegan EditionMy Profile

December 12, 2015 at 3:01 pm

There are some brilliant fakes now aren’t they? I definitely think next year we may go fake!

9. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    December 14, 2015 at 12:04 am

Natalie, I love this, I thought about you as I was putting up our tree, we have an artificial tree, usually we put it up the day after Thanksgiving and keep it up through mid-January, too long for a fresh tree. But, I hate fluffing out the tree each and every year, it’s such a tedious job, and I was thinking that maybe I ought to just bite the bullet and get a fresh tree next year. Hopefully I will remember how much I hate doing that and remember how much I love the smell of the pine in the house! LOL I hope that you have a great Christmas season, I’m sure that Taylor will have a blast! Is this her first Christmas? I know you’ll love it!!!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Dried Fruit and Honey Cheese-ball.My Profile

December 14, 2015 at 10:11 pm

There are definitely pros and cons to each aren’t they! But you’re right – the smell of pine in the house is great and makes all of the hassle of picking up a real one worth the effort. Taylor was one week old last Christmas so it was all rather hectic and tiring visiting family – it wasn’t exactly restful! So this year I’m really looking forward to it being more chilled out. Taylor is sleeping through too so I’ll have a lot more energy for eating and drinking! Hope you have a lovely one with the family x