To Taylor on your 1st birthday

to my daughter on her 1st birthday

As I sit here writing this you are sat up in your cot crying. You are knackered and well overdue your morning nap, but you don’t want to go to sleep (you were having more fun picking the baubles off the Christmas tree and trying to eat them). You will celebrate your 1st birthday tomorrow and you already think you know better than me. I’m sure this will continue for the rest of my life, so you are being kind by getting me used to it now.

Last year at this time I was nine months pregnant, redecorating our kitchen (yes, I don’t listen to people either) singing Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is you” to the bump that was you. I desperately wanted you to come before Christmas day and we managed it together one week before.To my daughter on her 1st birthday

From the first day we met you, you’ve rocked our world. You won’t understand the love you have for a child until you have one yourself, but it’s completely unconditional and infinite. Your Dad and I will admit that we were a little overwhelmed during your first few months on earth and found it difficult to adjust to the reality of constant demands and sleepless nights. We lived a fairly peaceful and self-indulgent life before you. I don’t think you liked being so dependent on us either and being a newborn didn’t really suit your determined and independent personality.

It didn’t take you long to figure out that you are your own person and you haven’t stopped pushing the boundaries and exploring your world ever since. I’ve loved watching you grow and develop over your first year and I’ve cherished every minute over the last 365 days that I’ve spent with you.

I admit that I was never really that maternal before I got pregnant with you, but motherhood has changed me in so many ways. I’m more compassionate, less selfish and more grateful for every day. I cherish the present as opposed to always looking forward to the next holiday, the next pay rise, the next big night out. I savour the little things in life and appreciate family and friends more than ever before. I’m a little softer around the edges – and I’m not just talking about my hips.

Every month just gets better and as you approach your 1st birthday you really are a giggle. You’ve got such a cheeky little personality and you make us laugh every day. The books say that you understand the word ‘no’ by now, but you choose not to listen to it. Instead you look at me, give me your cheekiest grin and crawl at the speed of light to whichever ‘out of bounds’ place you were heading to (usually the shower, the dog bowl or the fire). Other times you wag your finger at me and mimic my ‘ah ah ah’ sounds – which make me stifle a grin as I look away. And you know it. The other day you were standing up at the TV,  hammering the palm of your hand on the screen. I came over to tell you ‘no’ and you literally full-on belly laughed at me. I’d love to box up your giggle and take it with me everywhere I go.

Your dad is the most amazing father. He utterly adores you and would move mountains for you if you asked. He’s definitely your ‘fun time’ and is still totally your favourite person. ‘Dadda’ is the word of the moment and as soon as you hear his car pull up on the driveway each evening you start squealing his name as you bomb over to the door. Max trying to fight you for his attention. It’s so cute. As soon as he comes through the door he’s so excited to see you. He always tries to be home early enough so that he can give you your dinner and bath you before you go to bed. You really are lucky to have such a wonderful dad.

You’ve fallen asleep now, I told you Mum always knows best.

As you approach your 1st birthday

Your 1st birthday milestones

physical
  • You aren’t walking independently yet and I think it will be a while, you’re still pretty unsteady on your feet – probably because they’re still so tiny!
  • You’ve just mastered how to use your walker, but you still pull it back on top of yourself sometimes! In your defense, I don’t think our wooden floors help.
  • You’ve now sussed how to get back down from a standing position so you are climbing up onto everything at the moment and give yourself a big clap each time you get down without falling.
SOCIAL
  • You are babbling all of the time. My favourite time of day is at the dinner table. You don’t appreciate Mum and Dad leaving you out of the conversation so you literally give us everything you’ve got – all of the sounds, facial expressions, shrieks, laughs, raspberries and animated hand and head movements. It gets our full attention, much to your delight.
  • You still aren’t really much of a cuddler, but you had a cold recently so we took full advantage of all of the hugs you wanted. You now even lean in for a kiss (when it suits you) which gets both of us a little too giddy. Thank God nobody else can see us.
  • You still flirt with everyone you meet and your favourite outing is to the supermarket where (in between pulling items out of the trolley) you spend the duration smiling and waving at everyone who passes you. If they don’t coo over you, you look seriously offended.
  • You are just starting to find the TV interesting and will watch it for all of two minutes before you move onto something else (which is one minute more than before).
How you look
  • Super cute! I am biased of course, but you seem to get cuter to me with each month.
  • Your hair is really growing every week now and you have a couple of curls at the bottom. It’s still a dark blonde colour.
  • You have nine teeth which I’m told is a lot for your age. One of your molars came through a couple of weeks ago which you seemed to handle like a trooper. You hate me brushing them and push the toothbrush out with your tongue.
  • You are still quite petite for your age, but we had your 12 month check-up yesterday and your weight is perfectly proportionate to your height. On your 1st birthday you weigh just under 20lbs.Taylor 1st birthday
Temperament
  • You are as cheeky as ever and know exactly what you want.
  • You smile and giggle a lot and love playing games. Your current favourite is throwing the ball for Max which has you in hysterics. You also like building towers (at least trying to) and hiding behind the curtains waiting for Mum to find you. You also like opening and closing draws and trying to climb inside the fridge/dishwasher. As well as unraveling/eating toilet paper whilst Mum tries to get it off you.
  • You’ve started to throw proper tantrums over the past couple of months and will arch your back and wriggle free if I try and move you away from something you want to get at. Luckily distraction still works a treat.
eating
  • You still love your food and there’s nothing that a cheese puff won’t solve.
  • Your favourite foods are cheesy pasta and shepherd’s pie. You also have a new-found love for cucumber and have decided that you like banana again. You’ve totally gone off scrambled egg which immediately gets thrown on the floor and you also seem to get very offended by tomatoes.
  • You are finally drinking cow’s milk – woohooo! I can’t tell you how happy we are to be ditching the powder. You are down to just two bottles each day now.
  • You are also loving your breakfast at the moment and can easily put away two Weetabix!
sleeping
  • You continue to sleep through the night which Mum and Dad are ever thankful for. You still go out when we put you down at 7pm and you wake up 6-7am.
  • You’re still having two daytime naps at 9.30 and 1.30. You can take a while to fall to sleep, but you always get there in the end.

We have a little party planned for your 1st birthday. Your Nanna’s making the cake and your dad even picked you out a party dress especially for the occasion. I’m so excited to have my little one year old for Christmas – I know we had you for Christmas day last year, but we will be so much more relaxed (and refreshed!) this year.

Happy 1st birthday my little munchkin, here’s to many more years of creating happy memories.

Mum X

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Cornish Mum
Marvellous Mondays badge by Hello Archie

1. Louise
    December 17, 2015 at 7:12 am

Lovely xx

2. Louise
    December 17, 2015 at 7:13 am

Lovely post Nat. Happy Birthday Taylor x

December 21, 2015 at 10:58 am

Thanks lovely, it’s gone so fast! One is such a lovely age x

3. Robyn
    December 17, 2015 at 8:22 am

Oh I loved reading this. I especially like what you say about being a little softer around the edges, it made me realise that I feel exactly the same way. My baby is also far too busy and opinionated for cuddles from Mum & Dad, so I can relate to that as well! #coolmumclub
    Robyn recently posted…ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMASMy Profile

December 21, 2015 at 11:00 am

Glad you enjoyed it! It’s funny how motherhood changes you isn’t it. I’m not sure when we will ever get cuddles – she’s such a wriggler and can’t stay still – but at least they’re good fun 😉

4. Agent Spitback
    December 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

What a beautiful letter! Happy Birthday to your gorgeous girl! I can so relate to what you have said. When I had my first child, there was a realisation of how much my own mother loves me! #brilliantblogposts
    Agent Spitback recently posted…A bit of Everything Week 10My Profile

December 21, 2015 at 11:01 am

Yep, I definitely had that! And a realisation of how much they had to put up with in those first few months! Gives you so much more respect for them! 🙂

5. NewMummyBlog
    December 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Awww Happy 1st Birthday little Taylor!! You sound just gorgeous and full of mischief. Natalie, this is such a lovely letter and the perfect record. I hope you all enjoy her birthday and have a really fun day X
    NewMummyBlog recently posted…15 things every parent says during weaningMy Profile

December 21, 2015 at 11:02 am

Thanks Lynne! We had a great party for her yesterday which she really loved. It really does go so fast doesn’t it! But I have to say, I do love having a one year old – they are just so much fun aren’t they!? 🙂 xx

6. MMT
    December 17, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Ah, how gorgeous is this post. Happy Birthday Taylor – and congrats to surviving a whole Year Natalie! I’m pretty sure it gets easier from here…until you have another that is! She is so beautiful…THOSE EYES!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub, have a fab Christmas x

December 22, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Thanks Sarah! Yep, I think we have just found our stride so I’m pretty sure we’ll soon forget those early months and decide it will be easier second time around – we’ll see!! You have a fab Christmas too xx

7. Helen
    December 18, 2015 at 11:04 am

Aww Happy 1st Birthday Taylor!! Taking photo’s each month makes such a lovely montage – it’s crazy how much they change isn’t it?! My daughter is quickly approaching 9 months old and I can’t believe how much she’s changed, especially recently. #PicknMix

Helen x

December 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Helen! Yep, I do think from around 8 months she suddenly started to change so much and they become so independent all of a sudden. So much fun! The changes in the first year really are incredible. Have a lovely Christmas with your little one x

8. Rhyming with wine
    December 18, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Happy birthday to your gorgeous little one! Love the photo month by month montage. I’m sure that this post will be a precious keepsake in years to come.

Ps. What is it with one year olds trying to climb in dishwashers? Mine too. Drives me potty! 🙂
    Rhyming with wine recently posted…Merry Christmas xMy Profile

December 22, 2015 at 10:10 pm

It is great that she will (hopefully) be able to read these posts in years to come. I’m not sure what the dishwasher thing is all about – I’m literally afraid to open it and then have to stack it at lightening speed before she appears!! Have a great Christmas X

9. This Mum's Life
    December 19, 2015 at 7:34 am

Happy birthday gorgeous little one!! My eldest has had his birthday this week too, so this has been a reflective time for me also! Like you, I was desperate for him to come before Christmas Day! I was so glad he did! This is such a beautiful tribute to your first year as a mum, and a wonderful piece for your daughter to look back on and see exactly what she was up to at a year old!
    #coolmumclub

December 22, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Thanks so much – it’s lovely to be able to reflect on how they’ve changed isn’t it? I just wouldn’t do this if I didn’t blog. Happy birthday to your eldest too! x

10. Mack and Bobal
    December 19, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Happy birthday little one, what a lovely post. Great post to look back on when their older.

11. Helen
    December 20, 2015 at 10:21 am

Lovely post! What a sweet idea. You have one cute little 1 year old. x #kcacols

12. Becky (@EducatingR)
    December 20, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Gorgeous post. Happy Birthday taylor. My little boy was 18mo yesterday and I cannot believe how much he’s developed since his first birthday. That personality that is shining through in Taylor while grow and grow! He’s my favourite person to hang out with! lol. Merry Christmas #KCACOLS
    Becky (@EducatingR) recently posted…Christmas on Cloud 9My Profile

December 22, 2015 at 10:14 pm

I have to admit, the older she gets the more fun I have! They just get more fun with every month as they discover more and become more independent. I’m really looking forward to the next year with her. Have a great Christmas with your little fella x

13. Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    December 21, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I love your collage I so wish I had done something like this for mine, my first has a whole video tape to himself (yes they were the latest thing then) and my youngest barely have a photo till I began blogging when they were 7 years old. Merry Christmas to you and a Happy birthday to your beautiful 1 year old young lady.

December 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Thanks Fiona – it is great how blogs give you a record – and the online world in general I guess. I think I’ve seen two baby photos of me in my life! Pretty good that you have a video tape of your eldest – I don’t think you can beat a bit of retro footage to be honest! 🙂 Wishing you and the family a great Christmas x

14. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    December 21, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Aaah Nat — she’s such a beaut!! Amazing how quickly that first year goes isn’t it? I was a sobbing wreck on the boys first birthday — reminiscing about the year before and what we were doing at such-and-such a time!! Lovely post — and lovely pics too 🙂 #MarvMondays
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Colour Your World | #16 Pantone® Lavender HerbMy Profile

December 22, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Thanks Caro! She is a little gem, and so happy now at one. The first year really does fly by, but at the same time it seems so long ago since she was a little newborn and I can’t imagine our lives without her now. It’s funny how children do that isn’t it. x

15. A Cornish Mum
    December 24, 2015 at 11:23 am

Beautiful post and photos 🙂 This really is the best age when they’re so full of cheeky mischief and snuggly cuddles…note to self do not get broody 😉

Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix have a brilliant Christmas

Stevie x

January 18, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Haha, thanks Stevie. It really is such a cute age. Even though it seems impossible to discipline her at the moment, I do love the mischief! 🙂

16. mummyandmonkeys
    December 31, 2015 at 11:21 am

Aww Happy First Birthday, Ava is 14 months now and changing all the time, I’m sure she gets cuter every day! I love all the photos such a gorgeous girlie! Thanks for linking to #PickNMix, hope you had a lovely Christmas x
    mummyandmonkeys recently posted…New Years Eve My Recurring NightmareMy Profile

January 18, 2016 at 7:59 pm

It’s crazy how much they change at this age isn’t it? Taylor still isn’t walking but it’s so much fun watching her try! I love how they seem to get more cheeky and fun with each day. Hope you had a great Christmas too x

17. A Moment with Franca
    January 4, 2016 at 10:25 am

Aww this post is lovely!! Time really flies and now Taylor is 1 year old! Happy Birthday gorgeous baby girl!! Your mummy is very proud of you!! Your photos are super cute but the last one is the cutest!! 😉 Thanks for sharing this at #KCACOLS. Hope to see you again next weekend for the first link up of the year!! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…My UK Travel Bucket List for 2016My Profile

January 18, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I know, I can’t believe how fast it’s gone so far! Although saying that, you can’t ever remember a time without them can you?? She is a little cutie, but I’m biased of course 😉 x

18. Charlotte
    January 6, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Aww how cute! what a fab age! I wish I had take pictures every month because that collage is great and it’s so cool to see them growing side by side – you can really see all of the steps they are taking (sometimes literally :p) Thanks for linking up with #KCACOLS hope to see you linking up this year 🙂 x
    Charlotte recently posted…The 12 Days Of Fitmas – Day 12My Profile

19. […] the end of December we threw a party for Taylor’s first birthday. We originally weren’t going to bother with it being so close to Christmas (afterall, how […]