A pink and grey 1st birthday party theme

pink and grey 1st birthday party theme

At the end of December we threw a party for Taylor’s first birthday. We originally weren’t going to bother with it being so close to Christmas (afterall, how would a one year old know?) but we decided we would start as we mean to go on and not fall into the habit of merging Taylor’s birthday with Christmas…or we just came to our senses and realised that we would be foolish to pass up on the opportunity to throw a good old shin dig.

pink and grey 1st birthday partySo I set about ordering some party supplies and my mum kindly offered her cake making talents for the occasion. I decided on a pink and grey 1st birthday party theme and ordered most of the supplies online from Party Pieces. Being a bit of a last minute person, I was quite late ordering so opted for express delivery and was pleased when the supplies were delivered the following day. Unfortunately some of the items were wrong, but they were very helpful over the phone and sent out the correct items for delivery the following day.

I also bought some letters spelling ‘ONE’ from Hobbycraft, which I covered in silver wrapping paper to create a feature piece for the table (this took me far longer than I anticipated, but was worth it in the end!). To carry the ‘birthday theme’ through to the lounge, we had 12 photos of Taylor from each month of her first year on display around the mantel piece, along with some more silver and grey balloons.

We made the mistake of blowing up the balloons the evening before the party (we ordered a helium canister) and woke up to find that they had all deflated the morning of the party! Luckily, I found a random knitting needle (knew it would come in handy one day) which I used to untie all of the balloons and we had just about enough helium to fill them all up again! #Mumfail.

pink and grey first birthday party buntingpink and grey 1st birthday party supplies

For the food we made a range of sandwiches and dips and I bought a selection of hot food – apparently I was too busy having fun to take many photos, but I’d highly recommend the party food from Sainsburys. We had some of their mini chorizo burgers with salsa and cheese – a little faffy to assemble, but they looked and tasted fab! We bought the cheeses and cold meats from Aldi which were equally as good.

My mum’s 1st birthday cake was amazing and was definitely the star of the table. Incapable of making just one cake, she also made a double chocolate chip brownie cake which literally went down and treat, and some iced buns topped with pink marshmallows.

Taylor loved being the centre of attention for the day. She’s never been a clingy baby and was in her element spending time with lots of different people and being her usual cheeky self. She refused to nap for the whole day and had more sugar in one day than she’s eaten throughout the entire year! It was brilliant to see her have such fun and enjoy all of her new toys.

1st birthday party

1st birthday

The party was the perfect excuse to get family and friends together for one last time before we all went our separate ways for the holidays. I think we will definitely be making it an annual event on our family calendar!

Pink and grey 1st birthday party supplies

• Happy Birthday chevron Bunting £9.99
  • Chevron cake topper £7.69
  • Pink 1st birthday balloons £2.29
  • Snowflake confetti – £1.49
  • Pink chevron paper cups – £2.79
  • Pink and grey honeycomb balls – £1.69 each

All items from Party Pieces.

pink and grey 1st birthday balloons

Good cup balancing!

A pink and grey 1st birthday party. Theme ideas and decor pinterest

Run Jump Scrap!

1. mama, my kid doesnt poop rainbows
    January 13, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Looks very sophisticated and pretty. And not at all last minute. Well done 😊
    #bestandworst

January 18, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Thanks so much! I think I got it right when I asked my mum to make the cake! 🙂 x

2. jeremy@thirstydaddy
    January 13, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Looks like a pretty nice spread. I’m sure as she gets older she will appreciate the effort that goes into these parties at a time of year when things are already hectic

January 18, 2016 at 8:15 pm

It will probably take 18 years, but I’m sure she’ll appreciate them one day! 😉

3. Nicky
    January 13, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Dreamy birthday decorations, love them! Hope she had a fab time. We have a December baby who has just turned one too! 🙂

January 24, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Nicky! Yey for December babies and to a lifetime of trying to convince our children that it’s fun having a birthday so close to Christmas! 🙂 xx

4. Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap)
    January 13, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Wow what an effort you made – it looks really stylish! The supplies really made it. You made me laugh about the helium’ I will bear that in mind for any future parties. Glad your gorgeous girl had fun too – she looks so happy. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst xx
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…Best and Worst Week #33My Profile

5. Kat @ Eat.Love.Live
    January 14, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Happy birthday Taylor! I love your colour theme. The decorations go nicely together and your mum is a very talented cake maker xx#coolmumclub
    Kat @ Eat.Love.Live recently posted…What We Ate In MelbourneMy Profile

January 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Kat! It is a good job my mum came up with the goods because my cake making is pretty useless! Ha xx

6. Life as Mum
    January 14, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Such lovely colours for a party theme. and looks like she had a wonderful birthday! First birthdays are great to remember 🙂 Lovely photos
    Life as Mum recently posted…Budget Yourself This ValentinesMy Profile

January 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Thanks so much, it was a lovely day 🙂

7. MMT
    January 14, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Ha ha – love the cup balancing too 😉 It looks a very classy affair, and I love the subtle addition of the red wine on the kids party table – hope Taylor didn’t go too wild! We have 4 years of birthdays under our belt now, and we have concluded that even if you don’t hold a party, the party comes to you in the way of numerous visitors popping by…so may as well throw a few balloons and sausage rolls in the mix and roll with it! Thanks for sharing your party gorgeousness with #coolmumclub Nat x
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 12My Profile

January 18, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Haha, it was pretty funny when we did the food (drinks) shop and came back with pretty much everything for an adult’s party! Got to make the most of these opportunities hey? xx

8. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    January 16, 2016 at 2:39 am

Did Taylor love digging into the cake? I love it on 1st birthdays when the babe has cake and frosting all over their face and in their hair! She is so adorable!I love the decorations, your Mom did a great job on the cake, that fondant is smooth! I would have freaked out over the helium balloons! You calmly find a stray knitting needle and pry them back open! LOL Love that. Almost as much as I love your husbands cup balancing act! That is pretty hilarious. Love the last picture of your little family, I’d say even the pup had a great time!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…#WAYWOW Social Media Blast #3My Profile

January 18, 2016 at 8:27 pm

We did consider letting Taylor go wild on the cake, but decided that the rest of us quite wanted to eat it too! So decided against it hehe! I think the dog definitely had a good time too considering all of the sausage rolls he managed to sneak from people LOL! x

9. To Taylor on your 1st birthday - Mum in Brum
    February 29, 2016 at 1:41 pm

[…] were having more fun picking the baubles off the Christmas tree and trying to eat them). You will celebrate your 1st birthday tomorrow and you already think you know better than me. I’m sure this will continue for the […]