To Taylor – Your 14 month update

14 month old update

We are a little late for your 14 month update – you are actually 14 and a half months now as your mum forgot that she was writing bi-monthly updates all about you. Forgive me.

And what a difference a couple of months have made! You are really developing so fast now, I’m not sure where my cute little baby went but she suddenly morphed into a cheeky little toddler. That’s right you are toddling around on your feet now – although you still prefer to crawl as you’re much quicker on your knees. You also seem to have taken up bum shuffling which is pretty weird at this age – you sit on one foot whilst pulling yourself along with the other. You stand up when I say ‘up’ and have a go at walking but you’re still pretty wobbly – I counted 16 steps the other day though so perhaps you’re just being lazy.

14 month old update for toddler

You are into absolutely everything – the more forbidden it is the better. Yesterday I walked past the living room and peered through the door to see you sat in the middle of the coffee table watching TV. I had to sneak over to you so that you didn’t see me and start to escape, which would’ve resulted in a painful fall. Unfortunately today I wasn’t so subtle and as I ran over (honestly you climbed that thing quicker than I could put down the washing basket) you panicked and fell backwards. You’re often getting yourself ‘into the wars’ (as Nanna would say), but you definitely don’t understand cause and consequence just yet (you climbed straight back up onto the coffee table the minute I put you back on the floor).

You’re still a little chatter box and will have whole hours where you literally just shout demands at me and point at things. I talk back to you and pretend we are having a proper conversation, which you love.

You love playing with Play-doh and I have to actually hide the tub in case you catch sight of it which results in a major strop (pointing and throwing your head back wailing) if I don’t get it out. The last couple of times though you’ve started to eat it, despite my constant ‘no’s’ so it’s not coming out for a while I’m afraid. I did wonder why the specified age on the tub was 3+ and now I know…

We need to have a word about your misbehaving. You still find it hilarious when I tell you no and you seem to think we are playing some kind of game if I remove you away from something you should’t be doing (which is all the time). I’ve been reading up on this and I’m starting to wonder if you’re actually doing it to get my attention. Like when you crawl over to the TV, stand up, LOOK OVER AT ME, before you proceed to bang on the screen. Or you make a dash into the shower to splash in the water, or over to Max’s bowl to plunge your hand into his food. Whenever you open my kitchen cupboards you seem to find the only bowl that’s breakable. I’m literally terrified of opening my fridge freezer for fear of finding a baby lunging for the salad dressing. You really are so flipping quick, I honestly don’t know where you appear from a lot of the time.

Toddler 14 month update

Apparently I need to be reinforcing positive behaviour, but I promise, I do that too. Seriously, nothing makes me happier than when you’re being good and ‘playing nice’ – I literally clapped like a seal when you figured out how to build a tower on your own, and when I caught you putting your triangular shapes into the triangular hole on your Fisherprice shape sorter. And you always get my attention just for being cute. Like when you hide behind the curtains and wait for me to ask ‘Where’s Taylor?’ before I come and find you and you can hardly contain yourself with glee.Β Hiding and peekaboo is hands down still your favourite game and Dad makes a little den for you every morning by hanging the bed throw off the curtain pole in the window – you sit behind there and chat to yourself for at least ten minutes – which really is a record for sitting still in Taylor time.

You really are such a smiley and happy baby, so I can overlook all of your diva demands (and to be honest I do find them a little endearing). You still love our weekly trips to Aldi where you get to sit in the trolley and smile and wave at people until they’re inclined to look your way. You also do this whenever we take you out to eat – you’ll literally go on the charm offensive until someone waves back at you and starts to talk about how cheeky you are – which you’re always fully aware of.

Peekaboo - 14 month update

You’ve also started to dish out the cuddles and kisses now – finally! I feel that you are starting to love your Mum a little more these days and I’m not just a sideline to the Taylor/Dad show. You have to be in the mood though, if I lean in for a kiss on an ‘off day’ I can get a swipe around the face instead! When you get tired you do get a little aggressive and it’s not uncommon for me to turn around to see your mouth wide open, going in for my nose. And you have a lot of teeth – your molars came through this month!

Your hair is also growing super fast. I keep trying to put a cute clip in the front, but you’re having none of it! You pull out the clip pretty much instantly and proceed to chew on it and end up with glitter all around your mouth.

Size-wise though you’re still pretty dinky and still only wearing 9-12 month baby grows – and even they’re too big!

You still love your food, although you change your mind on a daily basis about which foods you like or don’t like (you feed the ones you don’t like that day to Max). Cheesy pasta is still a trusted favourite, and pear is definitely fruit of the month. We gave you dippy eggs and soldiers this week which you absolutely loved – it was so cute watching you dunk your toast into your eggs and you were so chuffed with this new way of eating.

We’ve enrolled you in nursery from next month for two days a week. I can’t imagine leaving you for a whole day, but I know that you’ll love it and I think you’ll really enjoy being around other kids. In fact we went to the nursery recently and I left you in the baby room whilst I had a show-around. I came back after twenty minutes and I’m pretty sure you didn’t even notice I was gone! So I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Love you millions,

Mum X

Let's Talk Mommy

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Cornish Mum

1. Sarah mayers
    March 2, 2016 at 7:19 am

Great article. She is a cheeky monkey but sooo adorable and i swear she gets cuter. X

2. Jodie Allen at Makeup to Motherhood
    March 2, 2016 at 4:29 pm

There are so many similarities between taylor and Lexie its unreal. She is a month younger and we too have issues with bad behaviour sometimes and she is always smiling like she thinks it’s a game. It’s how they learn though I guess. Sounds like your doing all the right things though. They really do get into everything don’t they! #Sharewithme
    Jodie Allen at Makeup to Motherhood recently posted…High End Beauty Products I Cannot Live WithoutMy Profile

March 9, 2016 at 11:49 am

Haha, let me know if you discover any great discipline tricks! I think we are going to have our work cut out! πŸ™‚

3. Silly Mummy
    March 4, 2016 at 12:33 am

Lovely update! Mine sit in the middle of the coffee table too! #sharewithme
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Cardboard Panda: The Ten Funniest Things The Toddler Said Last WeekMy Profile

March 9, 2016 at 11:35 am

Haha they are such crazy little beings aren’t they??

4. mummyandmonkeys
    March 5, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Aww what a lovely updat I’ve been so bad at doing Ava’s and this has given me a kick up the bum. There are a lot of similarities. Ava loves to climb anything and also loves playdoh, you can make edible stuff πŸ™‚ I can’t belive how many teeth she has Ava still just has 4 and is 16 months now. She is also still in 9-12 month clothes and wont keep anyhthing in her hair which is very annoying after splashing out on skinny headbands and clips. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix Eilidh x
    mummyandmonkeys recently posted…Pick ‘N’ Mix blog linky 4/3/2016My Profile

March 9, 2016 at 11:24 am

It can be so hard to keep up with them – I gave up on monthly ones so just do them bi-monthly now! I really do keep meaning to be a good parent and make some of the edible stuff…it is crazy how many teeth she has, she had eight at 10 months! Sounds like Ava is doing so well x

5. Beauty Baby and Me
    March 6, 2016 at 11:21 am

This is such a lovely post chick – I love your updates!! I can’t wait to watch Josh go through all these phases. xx #KCACOLS

March 9, 2016 at 11:19 am

Thanks so much hun! I love Taylor at this age – they do just seem to get better and better with each month, so lovely to have so much to look forward to xx

6. Educating Roversi
    March 6, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Such a lovely idea. I started to enjoy my son so much more from about 1 year onwards when he could move more and communicate more. Not that I didn’t enjoy him before but he has so much more personality now and is a little cheeky monkey. #KCACOLS

March 9, 2016 at 11:15 am

I’m so with you – newborns are cute but let’s be honest, they cry a lot and don’t really do a fat lot else!! I’m having much more ‘fun’ with my little toddler now, they are so cheeky at this age x

7. Claire at Tin Box Traveller
    March 7, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Aww, what a lovely update – so much has happened. Good luck with the transition to nursery. It sounds like Taylor is going to be just fine! Thanks so much for sharing this on #KCACOLS and I hope you can pop along next week x
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…#TravelTimehop series edition #7 with Little Hearts Big LoveMy Profile

March 9, 2016 at 11:13 am

Thanks Claire – I’m sure she will be fine at nursery – think it will probably be me who it upsets more! πŸ™‚ x

8. Kathy @ Hopes, Dreams and Chocolate
    March 8, 2016 at 12:41 am

Ah this is such a lovely update. Doing posts like this will be so nice for her to look back on when she is older. I have two Daddy’s girls here too!! Kathy x #PicknMix

March 9, 2016 at 11:11 am

ha, I was hoping that if I have it second we may be able to have one each – but perhaps not! They are lovely to look back on, hoping Taylor will enjoy them one day too! πŸ™‚ x

1. Kathy @ Hopes, Dreams and Chocolate
        March 9, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Ah don’t worry, my eldest is becoming more of a Mummy’s girl as she gets older so is definitely balancing out more πŸ™‚ Your post is next to mine on #KCACOLS as well! πŸ™‚

9. Life as Mum
    March 8, 2016 at 5:07 pm

These updates are lovely. Something nice to look back on! I can’t wait to do monthly updates of my third baby when hes born. Such beautiful photos
    Life as Mum recently posted…5 Ways To Spend Your Time Before Baby ArrivesMy Profile

March 9, 2016 at 11:05 am

Thanks lovely – I really enjoy writing them on and they’re so nice to look back on – even if nobody else really reads them at least I hope Taylor will one day! x

10. Jenny
    March 9, 2016 at 2:24 pm

OH I love this so cute. These updates are great and be good to look back on when she is older. I miss doing mine they change so much in the early days. She is just adorable! Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. Sorry to be late commenting we have my mother visiting from America. πŸ™‚ Thanks for joining in. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Family Weekend Getaway to BlackpoolMy Profile