A monochrome dining room

A monochrome dining room theme

When we had our new kitchen fitted last year we knocked down two walls to get rid of what was being used by the previous owners as a study to make a large kitchen dining area. As seems to be the case whenever we have a huge ‘push’ on the house, we had an intense couple of months decorating like crazy after the refit and scouring the home stores for items that would finish off our look, only to hit a slump a couple of months down the line and leave the job half finished.

We never really got around to the dining room. We painted it white, plonked a table in the middle of the room and never actually completed it. Over the next couple of months I’m planning to finish the job and create a modern, monochrome dining room to complement the kitchen.

modern dining room colour scheme

Image source

For our kitchen we chose traditional shaker units in grey and charcoal with modern furnishings. When we first bought the house we did intend to go ultra modern with the refurbishment – the bungalow is a 70s build with no real features to boot, so we thought a modern finish would make it more distinct.

But as we started to look at designs, we realised that ultra modern is just not really ‘us’. I do love the modern look but find I’m naturally drawn to more traditional country style finishes. So throughout our refurb we’ve tended to mix the two – we have an overall modern style but with traditional touches.light grey and charcoal kitchen units

We’d like to continue this look in the dining room, adding some chic, modern pieces to go alongside a traditional oak effect table.

We’ve decided on a monochrome colour scheme with white and silver to tie it in with the kitchen area. I also love the safari theme which seems to be everywhere at the moment and is really fitting for our house since the hubby and I spent our honeymoon on safari!

So I’ve been looking for inspiration online and have created the following mood board of my ideas so far.

Accessories for a monochrome dining room

The dining set and dresser are both from Fishpools – a large quality furniture store in the South East. They have some really unique dining sets to choose from and I love how classic and comfortable this set looks. The dresser would look equally at home in a bedroom, but I love how it would lend itself to the dining room as a sideboard for displaying some personal items and storing crockery, as well as being a statement feature in its own right.

I love the tripod lights and have been wanting one for years but never had the right space to put one. This one is from Dwell and I think it would really help to add a modern edge to the space. Adding a couple of hurricane vases alongside it would soften the look and provide a more romantic setting for all of those candlelit meals me and the hubby have these days (ha!)…this one is from M&S.

I’ve included some safari themed pieces – the elephant print is from Next and the fun giraffe coasters are from H&M.

Shop the look – monochrome dining room

Venetian chest/ sideboard – Fishpools £739

Elephant print – Next £80

Metal lantern – M&S £25

Metallic wire bowl – Debenhams £25

Tripod light – Dwell £299

Lexington dining set – Fishpools £1899

Potted plant – Ikea £69

Wooden line photo frame – Debenhams £30

Giraffe coasters – H&M £1.99

What do you think of my ideas for a monochrome dining room? Are you redecorating this year?

Disclosure: In collaboration with Fishpools

A Cornish Mum
Let's Talk Mommy
Home Etc
Run Jump Scrap!

1. Pamela | Life With Munchers
    March 17, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Love your picks…That’s going to look fantastic! x
    Pamela | Life With Munchers recently posted…Renovations…House UpdateMy Profile

2. Abi
    March 18, 2016 at 8:47 am

Oh this looks fab! We are hoping to move next year so I’m gathering ideas all thw yime for potential themes for decorating! Thanks for sharing #PicknMix

March 20, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Thanks Abi, good luck with your move! x

3. Lee-Ann
    March 19, 2016 at 11:55 am

Love your design, it’s going to look fantastic, a real mixture of old and new all brought together, it will be amazing when it’s finished, enjoy the lovely space you are creating!! #PicknMix

March 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Lee-Ann glad you like it!

4. Amanda
    March 20, 2016 at 10:48 am

Have fun with your decorating. Its a good idea to have a mood board to keep your inspiration. I think its going to look lovely.
    Amanda. #kcacols

5. Emma
    March 20, 2016 at 11:37 am

I LOVE the monochrome look. It’s so stylish and light and bright. I love your picks too especially the light 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Emma recently posted…The Tots100 MAD awards nominationsMy Profile

6. Pickinguptoys
    March 20, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Gah,I’m just going to sit here and stare dismally at my crayon marked walls for a bit….it looks gorgeous.We moved about a year ago and when I first saw the state of the place I full on sobbed my heart out.The living room was burnt orange.All over.I really like the elephant print,there’s something calming about it x #kcacols

March 20, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Ha! I hope you managed to get rid of the burnt orange! Glad you like the picks xx

7. Sarah
    March 21, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I LOVE your kitchen! That’s beautiful. We rent at the moment but are so hoping to buy this year – I may have to copy that style! I don’t generally like animal print stuff though, I’m not sure why, but it does look good in grey! #kcacols
    Sarah recently posted…The Parent HangoverMy Profile

8. Catie: An Imperfect Mum
    March 23, 2016 at 8:58 am

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I love the styling on the house to home image that side table is divine. I also like the metal light, although we have a tripod lamp and the boys have knocked it over twice so I am not sure about tripod stands with young kids.

9. Babylists - babylists.co.uk
    March 23, 2016 at 9:01 am

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I absolutely love monochrome – please post a follow up blog when your dining room is complete X #bestandworst

10. Charlene
    March 23, 2016 at 10:23 am

Wait! This is your kitchen?! THIS IS YOUR KITCHEN!! I would sleep in there #sharewithme

March 28, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Haha it is ace isn’t it! We had it done last year and we do love it – haven’t slept in there yet though! X

11. Kara
    March 23, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Wow what an amazing space, I love your kitchen cupboards xx

March 28, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Thanks so much xx

12. Becky at PinksCharming
    March 23, 2016 at 3:12 pm

OOOh I LOVE your gorgeous kitchen! Beautiful. I like all of the accessories you’ve chosen, but the giraffe coasters are my favourites. Becky x #HomeEtc
    Becky at PinksCharming recently posted…REVIEW: Dome8, the iPhone Case that Holds HeadphonesMy Profile

13. mummyandmonkeys
    March 23, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I love the monochrome look and wish I could pull it off but with renting it’s so difficult when you inherit magnolia walls and a wood coloured surround fireplace. Good luck with it all, the Tripod light is my fave. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    mummyandmonkeys recently posted…DaniPro Nail Polish review in Coral perfect for SpringMy Profile

March 28, 2016 at 1:08 pm

It can be so hard to make a place your own when you gave to work with someone else’s tastes! I do love that tripod light x

14. Lins @ Boo & Maddie
    March 23, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Ah it’s refreshing to hear I’m not the only one who doesn’t always complete a project. I love your moodboard, it will look amazing when it’s done (and I have all the radiator envy from your kitchen, that’s amazing!!) X #HomeEtc

March 28, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Ha I do love that radiator! We got it online. X

15. Nancy
    March 24, 2016 at 1:56 pm

You can never go wrong with a monochromatic scheme! I really love the look of those grey velvety chairs in the first image. Your kitchen looks lovely too, I love the island colour.

#HomeEtc

March 28, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Nancy. I agree – monochrome is a safe bet and I love how classic it looks! X

16. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    March 28, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I’m just the same!! I’d love a modern sleek, minimalistic interior in our house but it’s just not really me at all. We definitely have a more eclectic midx of vintage and modern — I think it works so well too! Love your mood board — and have kitchen envy too!! 😉 Thanks so much for linking up with us — great to have you 🙂 #HomeEtc
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…We’re going on an Egg Hunt (we’re going to catch a big one)My Profile

17. mummyofboygirltwins
    March 28, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Love, love this! Totally my style and I love this trend. I am trying to make my home the same. Thanks for sharing & linking up again lovely, good to have you! #HomeEtc

Jess xx
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…Relaxing in the Spring time sunshineMy Profile

18. Jenny
    March 29, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I absolutely love monochrome look. I always think someday i will have a whole house of it when I don’t have small children to ruin the white part of it. lol This look is amazing put together. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again tomorrow for another great round. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Spring Salad & Chicken Soup with Bearfaced GroceriesMy Profile

19. Maria
    March 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I love the look Natalie – and I especially love the tripod light too. We are also planning on decorating (bit by bit) this year. The boys went into bunk beds last weekend so we will be re-decorating their bedroom first.

Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on sunday x
    Maria recently posted…A Baking Masterclass with Paul Hollywood #HollywoodBakesMy Profile

20. Lindi
    April 1, 2016 at 9:54 am

You have spoken to my deam dinning room unfortunately i have a 2 year old who is at that stage of writing on everything so I have to wait a while for this look. thank you for the inspiration I have pinned it so I can find it later
    #WAYWOW

21. A Moment with Franca
    April 1, 2016 at 12:59 pm

I love this!! Great ideas!! Monochrome is super cool and very stylish. I would love to do something like this one day when my girls are older and have learned how to behave, lol. Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I would love to see you again on Sunday! 🙂 x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Wishlist – Maxi Dresses from House of FraserMy Profile

22. Nikki
    April 4, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I really love your kitchen, it’s just my style and taking it into the diningroom will be gorgeous! Classy but relaxing at the same time. Your choices are lovely, I can’t wait to see what you come up with, you have great taste and style! The tripod lights are the coolest! Love it!
    Nikki recently posted…Social Media Blast – Let’s Stumble!My Profile