#UsAfterYou – Featuring Suburban Mum

How having children affected their relationship

Welcome back to another #UsAfterYou guest post – the series where fellow bloggers divulge how having children affected their relationship. This week we have the lovely Maria from Suburban Mum. Over on her blog, Maria shares her life as a working mum bringing up her two boys. As well as a whole host of parenting tips and tricks that she’s learnt along the way, you’ll also find some really helpful reviews, great giveaways and lots of inspiration for keeping your little ones entertained.

Enough from me, over to Maria…

Suburban Mum blog

I met my husband Dave when we were both studying Graphic Design at Art College. We were both on the same course and hung around with the same group of friends. We had been together nine years when he proposed back in 2007 and we got married on Easter Monday in April 2009. We always knew we wanted to start a family and by September of the same year, I found out I was pregnant and we were going to become parents!

Suburban Mum tells how having children affected their relationship

When E arrived in May 2010 we were over the moon but nothing could have prepared us for those early days. We were in complete shock by how this tiny human being took everything out of us. Both my husband and I found the first few weeks so tough. The lack of sleep, the worry of every cry or sniffle – we were like zombies walking around!

Luckily, this of course passed as we gradually got to know our baby and settle into our new role as parents.

Before children, we both loved having long lazy lie-ins at the weekends. We’d meet up with friends for drinks and meals out, go to the cinema or even take drives on a whim to find somewhere new. I also liked to potter around the house and read whereas Dave enjoyed gaming.

Maria at Suburban Mum tells how having children affected their relationship

Needless to say a lot of these things went out of the window when our son came along because our focus changed. We didn’t have the time (or the energy!) to go out. Nights out became nights in, instead of going out for meals with friends we would invite them round and cook. Trips to the cinema became Netflix or Sky Movies. Going out together as a couple was rare because one of us needed to be at home.

We had our second child M, (another boy) in February 2013 and the focus shifted again. Oh the demands of a new born and a toddler!

the-boys-babies

Second time around we were wiser – we knew more of what to expect and I was a lot less precious about having to stick to a regimented routine and as a result we were both more relaxed as parents too.

Relationships evolve and change over time but I think it’s about how you tackle things together as a couple that help you stand the test of time. Understanding one another and being there to help each other no matter how tough a day we are having I think is essential.

It’s so easy to get caught up in who did or didn’t do what around the house and in the grand scheme of things these things are really not important. I regularly tell myself not to sweat the small stuff.

inspirational-quotes_15113-2

When you are expecting your first baby everyone tells you that life is never going to be the same again – and they are right. Having a child does change you and it changes your relationship dynamics too.

the-boys

It has changed us for the better. I know it sounds so cliché but having the boys has truly made our house a home. I remember when we first moved into our house ten years ago both Dave and I loved listening the sound of children playing outside and now we have our own two noisy boys to add to that sound. There is never a dull moment – they do like to keep us on our toes these boys but above all they make us smile and laugh every day and I wouldn’t want to trade that for anything else.

Suburban Mum tells how having children affected their relationship

You can follow Maria on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. If you’d like to submit a guest post for #UsAfterYou, please do drop me a line, it would be great to have you involved!

A Cornish Mum
Run Jump Scrap!

1. Silly Mummy
    March 20, 2016 at 12:46 am

This is lovely! & very wise words too. #picknmix
    Silly Mummy recently posted…How (Not) to Make an Easter Nest With ToddlersMy Profile

2. Amanda
    March 20, 2016 at 10:52 am

What a very beautiful family. It is difficult for me to read this as I cannot have children, so I am happy that you are counting your blessings and realising how lucky you are.
    Amanda. #kcacols
    Amanda recently posted…Book Review: Cover Girl by Nic TatanoMy Profile

March 20, 2016 at 10:23 pm

So sorry to hear that Amanda, and sorry it was a difficult read. Thanks for your lovely comment x

3. Emma
    March 20, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Awww another lovely family. I love what Maria says about having children made the house a home. Very true 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Emma recently posted…The Tots100 MAD awards nominationsMy Profile

March 21, 2016 at 4:16 pm

My child made my house a messy home – but definitely a home all the same! x

4. Sarah
    March 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I need to remember more that my boy makes me smile every day – because he really does! #kcacols

March 21, 2016 at 4:15 pm

It’s so easy to get caught up in the every day – sometimes we need to take a step back and look at all we have to be grateful for x

5. Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap)
    March 23, 2016 at 8:31 am

I love these posts and finding out more about relationships! Love the wedding shots too. I think the first child can be such a shock to the system. I’m hoping second time around all is more chilled out and less scary 🙂 Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…Best and Worst Week #43My Profile

6. Kathy @ Hopes, Dreams and Chocolate
    March 23, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Ah this is a lovely guest post, and even more lovely is that I am good friends with Maria; me and my hubby have watched their family grow and we have all had some lovely times together both before children and now with our families. It really is such a happy home 🙂 (and it was GREAT wedding..!) Kathy xx #picknmix

March 28, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Ah it must be so lovely to to have a close friend as a fellow blogger – so much to talk about!! X

7. mummyandmonkeys
    March 23, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Another lovely feature. Having children changes the dynamics so much. I miss lazy Sundays too although they were so long ago now I can hardly remember them. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix

March 28, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Oh to have just one lazy Sunday – wouldn’t that be nice!

8. Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb)
    March 29, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Oh such a lovely post! Children really do change everything, the care free times our own are gone but i wouldn’t change it for the world. Having a family to love is the best and yes, children definitely make a house a home 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.
    Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb) recently posted…Happiness and poniesMy Profile

9. helen gandy
    March 30, 2016 at 9:43 pm

It is funny how having kids just changes the dynamics completely!! Lovely post to read, thanks for linking it up to the #bestandworst
    helen gandy recently posted…Glossybox March 2016 – ReviewMy Profile

10. A Moment with Franca
    April 1, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Aww my lovely Maria!! Lots of beautiful photos! They are such a lovely couple and also very fun to be around. Her boys are adorable! Lots of wise advise as always! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I would love to see you again on Sunday! 🙂 x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Wishlist – Maxi Dresses from House of FraserMy Profile