Are you of the Ikea generation?

Are you of the Ikea generation?

Throughout my adult life I’ve moved house ten times. From student digs to rented apartments and finally owning my own home, both my taste and budget have evolved over the years. With every house move I’ve tended to throw out previous items of furniture, artwork and decorative items, in favour of an upgrade. Some I’ve held on to, but the majority simply went out of fashion or, more often, they just weren’t built to last and ended up falling to pieces the moment we tried to dismantle them.

Are you of the Ikea generation?

I simply don’t have ‘best’ and ‘everyday’ sets of crockery like my mother, and the only items that I really treasure are those that were bought for us as wedding gifts. Ikea has been my go-to home store whenever I’ve needed to replace our chipped dinner sets, brighten up a tired room or create a new home office on a whim. If the purchases don’t last past five years it doesn’t really matter – they won’t cost an arm and a leg to replace. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of Ikea stores – I really can’t imagine what my parents did without them!

But recently I came across an article in Ideal Home magazine which was all about investing in key basics for your home that will still work as time and tastes move on – well made, useful pieces form the backbone of a stylish home apparently. And it got me thinking that now I’m a fully fledged adult (apparently), I should really start to invest in quality home items that will last. So I’ve put together a bit of a wish list…

Invest in quality home items that will last for a stylish environment

Buxton Floor Lamp – Next £180

Traditional colander – John Lewis £16

Junction Table lamp – Heal’s £135

Wooden salad bowl – John Lewis £30

Oak desk/console – Heal’s £590

Salt and pepper mill – John Lewis £25

Jasper Conran set of three stainless steel pans – Debenhams £92

Painted sideboard – Next £850

Recycled magazine rack – Uncommon Goods £176.54

Giraffe family bookends – Uncommon Goods £47.83

I would love to update some of our current kitchenware which is in the main from Ikea. It has served us well for the last five years, but I would really like to invest in some more classic pieces such as the colander and salad bowl from John Lewis. We do already own the Cole & Mason salt and pepper mills (bought as a wedding gift) and I know that they’ll be a staple of our kitchen for years to come.

The magazine rack and giraffe bookends are from a US company called Uncommon Goods. The company endeavors to feature designer decor and handcrafted gifts created in harmony with the environment – 50% of their items are made by hand and one third of the collection uses recycled and/or upcycled materials. In an age where most items are mass produced, I love finding unique items like these. Most of their items are available for shipping to the UK – you should definitely check out their website here.

Next is always a favourite of mine for their homeware and I think this sideboard would go so well in our kitchen/diner. It’s classic shape and neutral colours would also mean that it could go with us to our next house – whatever style that may be. I also love the classic Buxton floor lamp featured here, which would be perfect for a lounge and also double up as a cool shelving area.

Do you invest in quality home items that will last or do you tend to just buy items when you need to? What’s your most treasured item that will stand the test of time?

Disclosure: In collaboration with Uncommon Goods. All opinions, as always, are 100% my own.

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Right Royal Mother
    April 2, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Evening! I’m afraid not … we embarked on two trips to IKEA last month and, looking around me right now, it’s clear where our brand loyalty lies! We do have some ‘inherited’ pieces which sounds lovely but in truth, some are horrid. I think I need to get my act together a bit more, thinking about it! Thanks for making me aware that there are actually other places I could look 🙂 #KCACOLS

2. Tori
    April 3, 2016 at 5:25 am

Oh man, I wish I lived near an IKEA. The closest one is 3.5 hours and I have to admit I have – gasp – never even entered one before. I have ordered blinds off their website, but was a little disappointed about the shipping costs.

But yes, I do find that we are still at the stage where we are trying to find the least expensive home decor options. I would love to have the disposable income to purchase quality items, but with a small family the money is just not there. My sister’s house appears so much more refined than ours, but she is six years older. Hopefully I get to that point someday!

Love your wishlist! The collander is quite inexpensive but I’m sure would get loads of use and last forever. I may just have to update ours.
    #KCACOLS
    Cheers!
    Tori

April 6, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Wow I can’t believe you’ve managed to escape the trip out that is Ikea. Right now I would say you’re missing out, but ask me after a recent visit and I would advise that you never go!! I’m exactly the same with my sister’s house – I do think it comes with age and having more disposable income. I really do need that colander – our current one is missing a handle! x

3. Jules Pondering Parenthood
    April 3, 2016 at 8:14 am

We’ve got a house full of IKEA too! In fact, we’re in the middle of putting together an IKEA chest of drawers for the nursery as we speak! Although I must admit our living room furniture is solid oak from Next and the sofas are from there too, but that’s more because I didn’t like the style of what was available in IKEA at the time (or I’d already owned it at some point and wanted something new!) x #KCACOLS

4. Kat
    April 3, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Great wishlist, I love the sideboard and the lamp! We are very much still in the second hand stage of furniture living at the moment. I am in need of a new sofa though and refusing to buy a new one until we can afford a corner sofa bed to save space and for guests, a must when in a flat I think! #kcacols
    Kat recently posted…March Favourites 2016My Profile

5. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    April 3, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Pretty much our entire house came as an Ikea flatpack!…I’d love to replace it all one day, but I feel it could be some time coming! I love those giraffe bookends too, they’re fab! x #KCACOLS
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…This Week #29My Profile

6. Alice Nipper and Tyke
    April 3, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Ikea generation here for sure! With clothing I definitely go for a more grown up investing approach, I do believe in quality and if you spend a bit more you do save in the long run; you get what you pay for. That said, sometimes you just can’t spend a lot, and in that case Ikea is a Godsend. We also have some truly disgusting family heirlooms/stopgaps, which I would dearly love to chuck in a skip, but we are grateful for them in the meantime. I would love some handmade furniture one day…
    x Alice
    #kcacols
    Alice Nipper and Tyke recently posted…Easter at the Hanbys’My Profile

7. Sarah
    April 3, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Now coveting both desk and sideboard. Hoping to be a homeowner in the next year or so, will deffo be investing in some key pieces! #KCACOLS
    Sarah recently posted…What is a Yummy Mummy?My Profile

April 6, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Ooh good luck with finding your home – it is an exciting time x

8. Becky @ Educating Roversi
    April 3, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Totally part of the IKEA generation! We’ve got an order coming this week for the new big boy bedroom. Lol. You’re probably right about investing but we don’t have the cash at the moment and I find it hard to spend so much on a piece of furniture! #KCACOLS
    Becky @ Educating Roversi recently posted…April’s Featured Blogger: Maggie from Maestro MummyMy Profile

9. Mommy's Little Princesses
    April 3, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Oh what a lovely collection I especially love the giraffes they are so adorable! Oh gosh i think I have only been to Ikea a grand total to two times and I don’t recall buying anything either time. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.xx
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Potteric CarrMy Profile

10. The Pramshed
    April 3, 2016 at 9:44 pm

We so are of the IKEA generation in our household especially when it comes to the bedroom furniture with MALM and HEMNES. But we do have some key pieces from John Lewis and made.com. I would love a posh cutlery set. Claire x #KCACOLS
    The Pramshed recently posted…Weaning: Our Journey so far….My Profile

11. Pamela | Life With Munchers
    April 4, 2016 at 8:44 am

When we got our first home we spent a lot on all our furniture. Splashed out on a designer sofa, curtains and solid wood furniture. All of it was modern at the time and quickly dated, but we regretted parting with them due to the investment. Now we hunt down the cheapest, so I can change things up without pouring money down the drain. I love your picks! (Would love to see you link up to #bloggershomes…shameless plug!) xx
    Pamela | Life With Munchers recently posted…A Day In Our Lives | April ’16My Profile

April 4, 2016 at 9:41 am

That is a good point – I think some items that change with the times are probably best not spending too much on. I think I’ll focus on the staples. I’ll definitely be over to link up! Xx

12. Beauty Baby and Me
    April 4, 2016 at 9:31 am

I love that sideboard – like you I love Nexts furniture although it is pricey! I remember though moving into our first flat and it was full on kitted out in Ikea! It served us well too 🙂 xx #KCACOLS

April 4, 2016 at 9:37 am

It is lovely isn’t it? But yes it is a little pricey in comparison to some other stores. I think IKEA is a must for first flats! Xx

13. NewMummyBlog
    April 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I really like those giraffe bookends. As you say, ikea is brilliant and I think most people our age have an ikea flat/house or have done I the past. We have been replacing our ikea stuff over the past 5 or so years, as we do love solid oak. I do love the next sideboard though, and would definitely pick that if hubby wasn’t so against painted wood! Oh well 😀
    NewMummyBlog recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 03.04.2016My Profile

14. mainy - myrealfairy
    April 5, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Great post and I’ve just looked at the link to uncommon goods which looks to have some really nice stuff. I haven’t invested in any really good pieces since having the children as I just couldn’t keep anything in a good state of repair and was just freaking out when they went wobbling towards anything too expensive! Now they are a little older I’m starting to shop again, whoop whoop:))

mainy – myrealfairy
    #KCACOLS
    mainy – myrealfairy recently posted…Tales of a Newbie Blogger #1My Profile

April 6, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Thanks! They really do have some lovely stuff don’t they? I know what you mean about investing with kids – most of our decorative items live on shelves and windowsills at the moment – I’m looking forward to having plant pots on the floor again! x

15. Someone's Mum
    April 5, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I love Next and John Lewis but they are always just too much money for our budget. So we do go for Ikea most of the time. There’s something oddly exciting about going?! It’s like a big wendy house 😉 Hopefully one day we’ll have the budget for some longer lasting quality things! #KCACOLS

16. kristiina
    April 6, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I’m a big fan of IKEA 🙂 And we just moved to Denver and the IKEA is 3 minutes away!! I think it’s great to invest in good quality, long-lasting pieces. But we have young kids and I NEVER want to be so stressed out that they might ruin something (life’s too short!), so we have a mix of kid-friendly (read: leather) and wood pieces. Luckily, my husband is a woodworker and has built us some amazing pieces that will last for generations. As for decor/frames/throw pillows? IKEA is the best…easy on the wallet and very stylish! –kristiina
    ps–we bought a bed frame and Hemnes dresser set and nightstand set 12 years ago and they’re still going strong..I stained one and painted one and changed out the knobs, but we’ve never had to fix them. xoxo

17. Silly Mummy
    April 7, 2016 at 1:24 am

I love ikea, but I do see the sense in this philosophy too. Though I think I would have to go very simple & classic with expensive pieces as I would be concerned that I would get sick of their style before they got worn out! #KCACOLS
    Silly Mummy recently posted…The Toddler Highway CodeMy Profile

18. Clare
    April 8, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Sorry, but I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when I saw a colander on your wishlist! Although it is a very nice colander. I like you have moved around so many times, and because funds are limited when I want to buy items for the whole house I’ve had no choice but to go with cheaper options, meaning they never last. I love Ikea, but luckily for the hubby our nearest one is an hour away at Lakeside. When we moved into this house though, I said I would buy a few key items that were a bit more expensive…having three children under 5? maybe I should have waited to splurge some pennies. Thank you so much for linking up to #KCACOLS Nat! Hope you come back again on Sunday xx
    Clare recently posted…Autism & SiblingsMy Profile

19. Nige
    April 9, 2016 at 8:48 pm

We love ikea and luckily have one in our city great wishlist list #thelist

20. Nikki
    April 12, 2016 at 12:25 am

Natalie, I am a bit older than you, and I must admit to a deep dark secret. I have never been to IKEA, nor do I have any Ikea items in my home. That’s a really dirty dark secret, isn’t it? I’m sure that I would, but we don’t have one within 3 hours of my home, so I’ve never even been to one. I know I felt like I’ve been missing out on something my entire life. LOL we don’t have a ton of anything, but I really love what we do have. Not to say that if I won the lottery I wouldn’t remodel my whole entire home. LOL I love the pieces you’ve chosen and UncommonGoods is a really cool store online. The painted sideboard above is really nice, it would really go with your home. And I absolutely love the giraffe family bookends. They are so cute.
    Nikki recently posted…Social Media Blast! Just Pin It!My Profile

21. Katy (What Katy Said)
    April 12, 2016 at 8:35 am

We have a few chest of drawers that are IKEA but other than that we have some gorgeous solid oak pieces that cost a fortune but will last us forever and I love them 🙂 x

April 12, 2016 at 9:05 am

I do love oak we have quite a bit of it in our living room. It really is timeless x

22. lizzie ( firstooth )
    April 13, 2016 at 7:43 am

I missed that edition! They are great pieces aren’t they and I can see ones that’ll suit most decor schemes. I’m definitely an Ikea addict but sometimes if things will last it’s definitely worth a splurge. I’m not sure I could afford their selections but I’m sure similar are easy to find… that maybe aren’t from ikea? Or are… x #thelist
    lizzie ( firstooth ) recently posted…Their First Trip On The RailwayMy Profile

April 13, 2016 at 7:46 pm

I think that’s the thing today – you don’t always have to spend a lot and can pick up some great quality items for half the price. I do struggle to splash out x

23. You Baby Me Mummy
    April 14, 2016 at 10:51 am

They are building an IKEA about 20 miles from us and I am so happy! think that answers your question!. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…’20 Questions’ – #VlogStars #12My Profile