Time to discover fashion again

The other day I almost left the house with a pair of knickers tying up my hair. No joke. It’s not uncommon for me to use knickers to tie up my hair when showering (in the absence of a hair band – where do they all go??). In my rush to walk Max early (so that I could get back in time for Taylor’s morning nap) I was at the bottom of our driveway before I realised…

And that was the moment when I decided it was time to start taking a little more pride in my appearance and get back some sense of style.

Time to discover fashion again

Image source

It’s been 16 months since I had Taylor. That’s 16 months of living in baggy jumpers and joggers. Okay –  baggy jumpers and skinny jeans if I happen to be leaving the house that day. And that’s not even counting the nine months I spent pregnant living in baggy jeans and leggings. So you would be forgiven for thinking I have a bit of a thing for baggy jumpers. Clearly I have.

Before being blessed with child I was never what you would call a trend setter, but I did like to keep up with the trends. I would shop regularly and invest in key staples. I read Look magazine. I could walk in heels. I owned different jackets for different occasions. I even had different bags for different occasions and alternated between more than two pairs of shoes.

That all seems like a very long time ago, and granted, I had the disposable income to spend on myself back then, that I just don’t have now.

But (as I was saying), I think it’s about time for a bit of a wardrobe update. Especially with summer just around the corner – baggy jumpers really aren’t going to work are they? So I’ve put together some of my top high street fashion 2016 picks for the season that I would like to invest in. I’ve stuck to key wardrobe staples that I think will last and won’t go out of style anytime soon, since I’m not planning to make a habit of this…

summer high street fashion 2016

The denim jacket

From the age of 15 – 21 a denim jacket was my key wardrobe staple. I’ve been waiting for them to come back in fashion for years! (I think they may have been before now – but like I say I’m no trend setter). I’ve tried a few on recently in the shops but they all seem to be pretty short and I not only look 15, but feel 15 again – I’m all for looking younger, but not getting ID’d for my Friday night bottle of red. I love this Levis one from M and M Direct – not only is it timeless, but it only costs 39.99! If you like saving money M and M Direct is definitely worth checking out – they have a whole range of big brand clothing and accessories – all with money off the original price.

The shirt

I’m a big fan of comfort and really don’t believe in the old mantra ‘pain is beauty’. I also have a tendency to bloat to a disproportionate size after a meal so tend to avoid figure hugging clothes! So I’m loving the shirt trend at the moment and there are so many materials and patterns to choose from – from checkered to plain, floral to denim. This soft cotton one is from Oasis costing £28.

The loafers

Apparently sandals are almost an acceptable footwear again…But if this week’s weather is anything to go by, it could be a while until I crack out my toes. So for now I’m sticking to loafters. I love these nude tassel loafers from Asos for £45 – they have a real leather upper and I can see this colour going with pretty much all of my outfits. They’re also easy to kick on and off – a must when trying to get a toddler out of the door!

The cami top

Throughout winter I’ve tended to live in dark colours, so I’m looking forward to injecting a little bit of colour into my wardrobe. I’ll definitely be swapping my baggy jumpers for tank tops this summer – this one from Primark for £6 is such a lovely colour and looks super comfy too.

The midi dress

I’ve tended to avoid the midi dress every other year, preferring to go for a full maxi, or an above the knee shift dress. But I love this blue pleated one from Warehouse. At £65 it’s more than I would usually spend on a dress but I think you could get so much wear out of it – dressing it up for a night out (who am I kidding?) or down (perhaps with my new denim jacket?). It would also be great for holidays. I’m determined to purchase one this year.

…Of course, I won’t be getting rid of my skinny jeans, my joggers or my leggings!

Do you find you’re stuck in a style rut since becoming a mum? What are your favourite picks from the high street for 2016?

Disclosure: In collaboration with M and M Direct

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Briony
    April 8, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Oh I really need to update my wardrobe as well! I currently live in jeggings and t-shirts! Although I’ve not yet left the house with knickers on my head, that did make me laugh. Love your picks, fab! #TheList

2. Cindy
    April 8, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I like the clothes and shoes you picked! I’m in a style rut too – I find myself always reaching for the same few outfits all the time so I’ve been looking for inspiration to update my wardrobe. Love checking out the latest spring collections, has me looking forward to summer holidays too!
    Cindy recently posted…March 2016 FavoritesMy Profile

3. Pamela | Life With Munchers
    April 8, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Love these picks lovely. I’m in that in between stage of being in leggings and pj’s all the live long day. Must get back on the style wagon xx
    Pamela | Life With Munchers recently posted…How To Update Your Kitchen On A BudgetMy Profile

4. Laura @dearbearandbeany
    April 8, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I live in skinny jeans and a top or jumper! I have actually forgotten that other types of clothes exist. I think this summer I need to get my style back or at least attempt too. Great choices, I love the denim jacket with a dress would be perfect. x
    Laura @dearbearandbeany recently posted…Ten things I won’t miss when my children grow up…My Profile

5. Sarah
    April 8, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Love the clothes you picked!
    I also love those Converse!
    xx

6. Ivan Jordon
    April 9, 2016 at 6:39 am

Ripped jeans are really the rave these days.. I gotta admit they’re comfy..
    Ivan Jordon recently posted…Local Lead MaximizerMy Profile

7. Amanda
    April 10, 2016 at 1:18 pm

You have chosen nice clothes there, which look like they will be comfortable but also flattering too. I chuckled when I read about knickers in your hair, I have to say I have never done that. However, I am always loosing hair bands, so you never know. I may be stealing your tip!! 😉
    Amanda. #kcacols
    Amanda recently posted…Guest Post. Ten Deserts Inspired by Books! by Andrea LochenMy Profile

8. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    April 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I love that dress, and the shoes are fab! I’ve definitely been stuck in a rut since Marianna came along. I keep telling myself I will lose the weight then get back into it all, but at the rate it’s going I may just have to get back into fashion and worry about the weight later!

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday x
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…This Week #30My Profile

9. A Mum Track Mind
    April 10, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Yes! Where exactly do all of the hairbands bloody well disappear to?! I love the pieces you have picked out here – it really can make you feel a million dollars to have a bit of a revamp cant it! I had a baby 13 weeks ago so I’m waiting until I lose that baby weight to go through my stuff but I cant wait to get out shopping! #KCACOLS

April 12, 2016 at 10:47 am

Glad it’s not just me!! Oh you must be far too tired to shop right now 😉 xx

10. Becky @ Educating Roversi
    April 11, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I’m stuck in skinny jeans or leggings. I’d like new stuff but I don’t have the time or energy to go shopping. I’m asking for vouchers/money for my birthday to get some new pretty things for my hols. I have a denim jacket – love it. #KCACOLS

April 13, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I did go shopping with taylor yesterday – and regretted it after 10 minutes! Think I need to go one day when dad can babysit x

11. Nicole @ The Professional Mom Project
    April 12, 2016 at 3:37 am

Great choices! I’m totally in a style rut since becoming a mom (and dealing with a serious illness). One day I’ll get my style back – when I no longer have to worry about getting my son’s snot all over everything every day 😉 #KCACOLS
    Nicole @ The Professional Mom Project recently posted…Baked Mac and CheeseMy Profile

April 12, 2016 at 9:06 am

I know – snot does make it all rather pointless!

12. Mrs Taylor
    April 14, 2016 at 10:31 am

lovely pieces, particularly like the shoes picked up a similar pair in tan from primark last week although not been brave enough to bare the ankles yet. thanks for sharing #coolmumclub

April 16, 2016 at 10:29 am

I love primark shoes! Need to check those out x

13. Talya
    April 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Ohhh I am dying to get back into dresses but I am scared I will freeze the proverbial off! Loving selection though and thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x
    Talya recently posted…KidzInMind: A safe digital playground filled with fun and educational appsMy Profile

14. Nicky Kentisbeer
    April 14, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Some lovely bits there. I loved that feeling of going for a grown up shop once I’d got over being a new mummy and shrunk a few sizes. Unfortunately sizes have started to go up again so a spree is long overdue. I so much prefer spring and summer clothes to winter and autumn. Happy shopping. #KCACOLS
    Nicky Kentisbeer recently posted…Keeping Calm and Going CampingMy Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thanks Nicky – I’m a lover of winter fashion myself, but I’m looking forward to getting back into pastels x

15. Lindsey
    April 14, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Great staples. My fashion sense has taken a back seat to my daughters, but I think it’s time to re-vamp it. I need to start wearing more than 2 types of shoes… tweeting this and pinning for when I find time to go shopping! ;p
    Lindsey recently posted…2 Biggest Business Flaws + What You Can Do About ThemMy Profile

16. MMT
    April 14, 2016 at 8:14 pm

This reminds me I need to write a new #hidethebags post (I had been so good for ages, and then, a new season…I just can’t help it!). Love the loafers…

Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 22My Profile

17. Mess and Merlot
    April 14, 2016 at 9:01 pm

It’s funny because although I feel like I should sort myself out in the style department I always end up thinking “Sod it, I love my skinnies, converse, tee’ combo 🙂 Ok sometimes I go mad with a denim skirt and tights (always) variation but that’s mainly where I’m happy to stay until the Summer forces me into a maxi-dress! So I’ll be keeping and eye on the Warehouse sale for that blue number! 🙂 #coolmumclub
    Mess and Merlot recently posted…Eek- I’ve gone PUBLIC!My Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:25 am

I’m so with you! I haven’t managed to get out for a shop yet so I’m still in the skinniest and converse! I’m with you on a denim skirt too – I even bought a cord one this year!! X

18. Sarah
    April 14, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Him Indoors bought me a leather jacket for my birthday this year which I LOVE but I still feel like I’m trying too hard to be cool when I wear it haha #KCACOLS
    Sarah recently posted…Day 14 – Favourite Movies #30daysbloggingchallengeMy Profile

19. Emma (@beachpebble)
    April 16, 2016 at 8:03 am

I’ve shamefully been stuck in a style rut for 7 years but had a recent session with a personal stylist in my local shopping centre (free service) and was amazing – she even did my colours which I didn’t think was a thing anymore!

Emma xx

April 16, 2016 at 10:07 am

Wow that sounds amazing – I don’t even know what ‘did my colours’ means

April 16, 2016 at 10:08 am

Wow that sounds amazing – I don’t even know what ‘did my colours’ means! Xx

20. Carol Cameleon
    April 16, 2016 at 11:07 am

Definitely not the most stylish mum on the ‘block’! You’ve given me the nudge I need to do some staple shopping too… Thanks 🙂
    Carol Cameleon recently posted…Win a bracelet from DeeBee jewellery ~ review and giveawayMy Profile

21. A Moment with Franca
    April 16, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I’m in so much need of a new spring wardrobe!! I just can’t cope with my clothes anymore. I’m completely bored of all of them!! LOL I love wearing a denim jacket at this time of the year or a light black leather jacket works fine too. I need some new pair of jeans too. I like that blue dress. I love wearing maxi dresses too!! That is it, tomorrow need to go shopping!! LOL Thank so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. It is always great to have you here. I hope to see you again tomorrow!! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…UK Coffee Week: 24 Coffee HacksMy Profile

22. Nikki
    April 18, 2016 at 10:12 pm

This is so fun, love the style, it would look great on you. I work in sweats, as I am home, I sleep in sweats, I run errands in sweats. Lately I’ve tried to put more thought into grabbing jeans and a jacket, my husband is sick of seeing me in his flannels too! LOL And my kids are 16 and 23!!!
    Nikki recently posted…Social Media Blast. Get your Tweet on!My Profile

23. Naomi
    April 18, 2016 at 10:14 pm

I really like those shoes, and that dress. I’ve not been as bad with this pregnancy/new mum phase as having some nice clothes makes me feel a million times better about myself – I think I’d rather have a pair of new shoes than a good night’s sleep sometimes! #coolmumclub