Creating a natural slate wet room

Creating a natural slate bathroom with slate tiles

When we first moved into our 1970s bungalow, the bedrooms and bathrooms were the first areas we wanted to renovate before tackling the kitchen and living areas. The bungalow has a bit of an odd layout in that there’s no main family bathroom, but each of the existing three bedrooms all had en-suites – all of which were extremely dated and tired, and in serious need of an update.

Creating a natural slate bathroom with slate tiles

We chose three very different styles for each bathroom which I’m planning to share with you over the next few months. For the bedroom en-suite that we chose as our own, we decided to create a natural slate wet room, covering the entire surface area, including the floor, with slate tiles. The idea to not have a shower tray came half-way through the project when we realised that continuing the slate throughout the shower area would give a more elegant overall finish.

waterfall tap in natural stone bathroomNatural slate bathroom

Natural slate tiles

At the time of the renovation we’d recently got back from our honeymoon in South Africa where we’d stayed in some amazing boutique hotels and took some inspiration from some of the places we stayed.

The tiles were all sourced from Topps Tiles. We chose a large format natural slate tile with a rustic uneven finish and rusty colours running through. I love how every tile is totally unique. We opted for a feature wall running up behind the sink which adds a real focal point and creates a feeling of height in the small room.

Once the tiles were fitted, we treated them with a clear sealant to protect them from water damage and give the natural slate wet room a more polished finish.

creating a natural slate wet room

Fixtures and fittings

For the suite we opted for straight lines with a square toilet and rectangular sink which I think sit really well alongside the rectangular tiles. We followed the style through to the fittings with a square shower head and rectangular waterfall feature tap.

One of the lessons we learnt when we renovated our previous home (and stole from one of the honeymoon suites we stayed in) was to place the control for the shower at the entrance to the shower rather than directly below it. Not only does this mean that we don’t have to stand under scolding hot/freezing cold water whilst trying to get the temperature right – but it also keeps it away from water marks until the next clean (which doesn’t happen as often as I’d like you to believe!)natural slate wet room with modern fixturesnatural slate wet room with modern fixtures

We chose minimalist fittings to create a modern feel – the shower hose is hidden behind the wall and we chose a simple chrome lever for the control. The floating sink basin also helps save floor space in the small room, and we opted for a vertical chrome towel heater which fits perfectly on the wall behind the door to the room.

Chrome radiator in slate wet room

What do you think of our natural slate wet room? Have you recently renovated a bathroom? Do you have any tips to share?

How we created our natural slate wet room

Home Etc
Life With Munchers

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Cornish Mum

1. Emma
    April 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

Oh my I have total bathroom envy *swoons* Can I just move in please. That is amazing. You have created such a sanctuary 🙂 #HomeEtc
    Emma recently posted…Is the government killing creativity?My Profile

2. Marienne
    April 13, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I absolutely love this! It’s so cozy. I can already imagine my bathroom like this.

April 13, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Thanks so much! X

3. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    April 13, 2016 at 2:56 pm

This is gorgeous – I love a wet room! It’s really contemporary, but not so trendy that it’ll date really quickly. I’m really jealous – I hate our current bathroom! It’s huge which is just annoying when two of our 3 bedrooms are tiny – who needs a big bathroom? – and it has lino on the floor. Thing is, it’s not bad enough to warrant replacing urgently, it’s just not to my taste, which means it’ll be ages before we end up doing it!
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…A Birthday Celebration with Baker DaysMy Profile

April 13, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Katie! I know that feeling – we were like that with our kitchen for ages as we could justify the cost of replacing it. Luckily our bathrooms were horrendous!! X

4. Brianna
    April 13, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This bathroom looks great. I have always wanted to have a slate wall like this, but I have always wondered how the uneven texture does with dust etc. is it hard to clean? Looks fabulous, so probably worth any extra effort.

5. Stephanie
    April 13, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Love the slate tiles above the sink – well, it’s all gorgeous actually. Looking forward to seeing more 🙂 #homeetc [PS what’s your instagram – the link in your header doesn’t seem to work?]
    Stephanie recently posted…Circles, spray paint and another plan for my gardenMy Profile

6. Mess and Merlot
    April 15, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Woo fancy! We moved a couple of years ago and like Katy from Hot Pink Wellingtons our bathroom is ok, quite modern actually but you know when it’s not something you would have chosen for yourself? Anyway, yours looks fab – you’ve definitely achieved that swanky boutique hotel look, enjoy!
    Mess and Merlot recently posted…Eek- I’ve gone PUBLIC!My Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:23 am

Thanks so much! It is so hard to invest money when a room’s actually okay – but so tempting!! X

7. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    April 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Aah Nat — it’s looks lovely!! Very hotel chic!! 🙂 I art directed a kitchen shoot once where we covered an entire wall with the slate stack tiles… I think they were a little more random in pattern than yours but really similar! It makes such a fab focal point doesn’t it? Love what you’ve done, it’s so stylish! x Thanks for linking up on #HomeEtc
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…162 weeks and 1 day | At the allotment {Siblings April}My Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:21 am

Thanks so much Caro! I do love those stack tiles – I always plan to create a feature wall with tiles elsewhere in the house but I’m not sure it will ever happen! Sounds like a fab idea for a kitchen xx

8. Crummy Mummy
    April 15, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I love slate and all its colours in different lights and when it’s wet. And it hides a multitude of sins! #picknmix
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…Would you let a stranger breastfeed your baby?My Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:18 am

You got me – that’s the main reason I love it so much!! So much more practical than high gloss! X

9. Pamela | Life With Munchers
    April 15, 2016 at 8:58 pm

This is spectacular N! I’m literally away to rip out my bathrooms and put exactly this in now….Oh wait, I only just finished them last year…DAMN! I just adore this look and have pinned many a similar pic, but we just couldn’t source the tiles. Thanks for linking up #bloggershomes xx
    Pamela | Life With Munchers recently posted…Bloggers’ Homes Link Up April ’16 | Featuring Coffee, Work, Sleep, RepeatMy Profile

April 16, 2016 at 10:14 am

Thanks hun – I will have to check out your bathrooms, I bet they’re fab! We’ve had many a tile from Topps Tiles they have a great selection Xx

10. Gemma
    April 16, 2016 at 12:10 am

Wow, what an incredible bathroom! This is honestly pretty much my dream en-suite! I love it 🙂

Gemma x
    The British Feather – Life, Travel & Home Decor

April 16, 2016 at 10:12 am

Thanks so much Gemma! X

11. Nikki
    April 18, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Natalie, I love your taste in decor and style. This is an absolutely gorgeous bathroom, love the slate with the silver finishes, it looks really polished. I think that I would stay in the shower all day, you’d have to pry me out of it!
    Nikki recently posted…Social Media Blast. Get your Tweet on!My Profile

12. mummyofboygirltwins
    April 19, 2016 at 8:19 am

WOW utterly stunning and very chic. My style exactly – so luxurious yet practical! Great job. Thanks for linking up – Jess xx

#HomeEtc
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…My Instagram obsession (continued)My Profile

13. mummyandmonkeys
    April 20, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I love natural slate in bathrooms. Also liking the choice of the suit, modern and fresh. Thanks for linking to #PicknMix
    mummyandmonkeys recently posted…toddler sleep help neededMy Profile

14. Oliver J.
    May 22, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Looks heaven for me! HA HA! very lovely looks like first class in a hotel good job! thanks for sharing!

15. Mummuddlingthrough
    October 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm

This is spookily similar to our bathroom! Topps tiles slate and all! Love it (obvs). Xx
    Mummuddlingthrough recently posted…Bertie & Jack wall art reviewMy Profile