How to add colour to your kitchen

How to add colour to your kitchen

When we had our dream kitchen fitted last year we chose grey and charcoal units and kept the walls an off-white. We opted for an aubergine glass splash back behind the hob to create a feature and add a little colour, but other than that we’ve kept it quite neutral and ‘played it safe’.

How to add colour to your kitchen

Add colourful accessories for an immediate update

However, now that the house renovation is complete I’m on the hunt for some colourful accessories that will brighten up the house and add a little more of our personality. So when bespoke kitchen designers, Harvey Jones, got in touch to offer their expert tips on how to add colour to your kitchen, I snapped their hand off! Here’s what they had to say (and some photos of their fitted kitchens for you to swoon over…)

How to add colour to your kitchen

What colour is your kitchen? Breaking away from the same-old shades of white and cream can be daunting but if you add colour to your kitchen it’s a great way of injecting life into your space — after all, it is the heart of the home. If you’re braving the brights, follow these top tips to ensure you get it right.

Start small

Want to experiment with colour but don’t want to start painting the walls just yet? You can easily inject colour into your space through a selection of brightly coloured accessories. For example, decide on one or two accent colours and incorporate them throughout your space.

If you have glass-doored cupboards or a display cabinet, use them to show off coloured cups, plates and glasses. You could also invest in a new toaster, kettle, canisters and tea towels to further tie together your colour scheme.

Harvey Jones bespoke fitted kitchens

How to inject colour into your kitchen

Add a colourful splashback to create an eye-catching backdrop for your hob

Strike the balance right

When using bright colours, you need to make sure you get the balance right. Try to be selective about where you use colour. For example, if you create a statement wall where your kitchen units are, keep the other walls muted to make them stand out.

Remember, you don’t have to go all out with bright colours to make an impact — something as simple as a brightly painted cupboard or island and a selection of complementing accessories can prove really effective.

Don’t stop at the walls

If you really want to make a statement in your space, why not choose a bold coloured kitchen? While many retailers will offer a limited range of designs, there are more options than the typical white or wooden kitchens. For example, at Harvey Jones we handcraft all of our bespoke kitchens to order, so each one is crafted to the unique needs of each individual client. We supply the units expertly primed with two coats of undercoat which, after installation, is then painted to the customer’s colour of choice by an experienced furniture painter.

From vibrant yellow to mellow blue, services like this help you find a kitchen to match both your home and personality.

How to add colour to your kitchen with painted units

Be brave and opt for colourful painted units

Disclosure: collaborative post

Do you experiment with colour in your home? Would you be brave enough to opt for bright units or do you tend to accessorise with colour? What have you done to add colour to your kitchen?

Home Etc

1. Natasha
    April 17, 2016 at 11:15 am

we are going to be decorating our kitchen later this year. we are doing the walls and floor gray and having the cupboards black and red with loads of red accessories #KCACOLS
    Natasha recently posted…March 2016 Degustabox Review and UnboxingMy Profile

April 18, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Ooh sounds lovely! 😊

2. Emma
    April 17, 2016 at 11:50 am

Oh I love this and some great ideas, especially introduing colour with the units. Love the yellow units in your picture #KCACOLS
    Emma recently posted…April’s Favourite OutfitMy Profile

3. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    April 17, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I love blues and whites in a kitchen – my pinterest Kitchen board seems to indicate that I hanker after a turquoise kitchen island – it features a lot! #KCACOLS
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…5 Happy Things #12My Profile

April 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Ha I love it when you don’t think you have a preference until you start a pinterest board and then it all becomes clear!! X

4. Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby
    April 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Lovely ideas! We have chosen neutral colors in our kitchen, white cupboards, black worktop and sliver units… But I have added a few colors to it by adding some plants in the window sill with colorful pots. I think I should have done more though. Thanks for sharing this very informative post. #KCACOLS
    Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby recently posted…Ruby is not anymore a baby!My Profile

April 18, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Cheryl – your kitchen sounds lovely! X

5. Pen
    April 17, 2016 at 10:20 pm

These are absolutely stunning kitchens. If only I had that much space and that much money. Any chance of some tips for small kitchens, starting from scratch on a very small budget? #KCACOLS
    Pen recently posted…Female masturbationMy Profile

April 18, 2016 at 3:57 pm

That would make a great post – I’ll definitely have a think about it x

6. Kayla
    April 18, 2016 at 8:40 am

My current kitchen is so horrible! I can’t wait to finally be able to have my dream kitchen!! #KCACOLS x

7. Jason
    April 18, 2016 at 9:57 am

That top kitchen makes me absolutely HATE our caravan-sized kitchen with its lifting laminate counter-tops. Such great ideas! Cant wait to own my own house so I can implement some of these myself. Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS
    Jason recently posted…Another day in my lifeMy Profile

8. RACHEL
    April 19, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I love bright colours in the Kitchen, Those yellow units aare right up my street! xx

#KCACOLS
    RACHEL recently posted…Taking a walk around the gardensMy Profile

9. Esther @ Inside Out & About
    April 20, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Oh! These are all absolutely gorgeous and your tips are brilliant. Colour really does cheer everything up doesn’t? and it makes it easy to chop and change things around #HomeEtc xx

10. Molly
    April 20, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Good tips from Harvey Jones – I’m quite conservative with colour, and could never see myself going as far as those yellow units, but I do like to have colourful jugs of flowers and wall art in the kitchen. Maybe I should be braver! #HomeEtc
    Molly recently posted…Make Yourself At Home – Part 1My Profile

11. The DADventurer (Dave)
    April 21, 2016 at 9:35 am

Wow, would love a kitchen like that with all of the space and light. We recently did our kitchen up a bit to give it a freshen – we went with dark grey walls, but have touches of red to make it that bit more vibrant.

12. Lins @ Boo & Maddie
    April 21, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Love all these kitchens for some great inspiration! I’m definitely a fan of colour anywhere and especially in the kitchen, although I did paint ours from a dark crimson which was what it was when we moved in, to white, because it’s very tiny and the red made it look so dark. But when we build a shiny new one, colour will be paramount! X #HomeEtc

13. Clare
    April 21, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I can’t wait to have the funds to do our kitchen! It is HORRID! I’m so tempted to get sage green units but I reckon I will chicken out when the time comes! I get bored easily so it could be an expensive mistake! #KCACOLS xx
    Clare recently posted…5 Reasons I rate water birthsMy Profile

14. Sarah Christie
    April 22, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I love the first and second images they both looks fab with lots of light, I have bits of blue and green, but really need to introduce a bit more colour x

15. Sabrina @ The Mummy Stylist
    April 22, 2016 at 10:09 pm

We recently added a pop of bright yellow to our kitchen on the wall between our countertop and wall cupboards and it really gives it a bit of personality. Bright chairs too, makes it really cheerful x

16. Sabrina @ The Mummy Stylist
    April 22, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Forgot to add the hashtag – sorry! #HomeEtc 😀
    Sabrina @ The Mummy Stylist recently posted…Monochrome Space-Saving Nursery IdeasMy Profile

17. A Moment with Franca
    April 23, 2016 at 10:44 am

I love these kitchens! They are stunning!!! I would love to have one day a big Kitchen. I don’t really cook but I love the look of a big and colourful kitchen! LOL My hubby does all the cooking at home and I know he would appreciate a big kitchen too!! I would love to have it all white with some things in red!! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I love having you here. I hope to see you again tomorrow! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Breakfast at Wyevale Garden Centre – Syon ParkMy Profile

18. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    April 24, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Ohmyword. Harvey Jones are one of my very favourite kitchen manufacturers — I used one of their designs for the inspiration for the kitchen we installed in our last house, funnily enough. We couldn’t afford their prices sadly, so did a fakeover!! They’ve got one of their showrooms down the road in Leamington and when we finally get round to re-doing our kitchen, later in the year, I’ll be hot-footing it down there, looking for more inspiration!! We’ve got a combination of cream and sage units at the mo — I love colour in the kitchen 🙂
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…On white sofas, being mindful and my love of bagging a bargainMy Profile

19. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    April 24, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Oops — back again!!! Thanks for linking up with #HomeEtc!! Got carried away with the kitchens and almost forgot!! 😉

20. mummyofboygirltwins
    April 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

I have gone for bright yellow accessories as my walls were white and units grey and it has made a big difference. I do like the monochrome look though and like simple shades. Jess xx #HomeEtc
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…Why Carrie had such an effect on meMy Profile