25 things guaranteed to happen during a British summer

Oh Britain, how I love thee. For all of your flaws, your contradictions, your whinging and your stiff upper lip…

And dare I say it, I even love you for your unpredictable weather and ability to sh** all over our plans whenever you feel like it. Afterall, if you were constant, what else would we talk about? Going on holiday to seek some sunshine is lovely, but give me sunshine in Britain any day – everybody just gets so flipping excited. It sends us a little bit giddy, and who can blame us?

25 things guaranteed to happen in a British Summer25 things guaranteed to happen during a British summer

1. At the first sniff of sun you’ll invite everyone to yours for a barbecue
  2. And then point and laugh from inside as Dad stands outside in the rain
  3. You’ll talk about ‘what a beautiful day it is’ to those people you have nothing better to say
  4. Certain men (who really shouldn’t) will decide it’s far to hot to keep their top on walking down the street – it’s at least 18 degrees afterall
  5. Your mum will tell you at least five times that there’s going to be a heatwave this week – she read it in the newspaper
  6. A glass of Pimms at lunch time will turn into an all day session (oh, wait – I have a child now…)
  7. You’ll shave your legs for the first time in six months. Okay, maybe second.
  8. And purchase five different shades of coral for your toenails
  9. You’ll buy lots of random nut and seed ingredients for exciting ‘super salads’
  10. You’ll throw away a lot of salad
  11. You’ll consider buying a last-minute flight to Ibiza (and then remember you have a child)
  12. On the hottest day of the year you’ll be sat in traffic on the motorway. Or in an office.
  13. You’ll be totally made up when you bag the best table outside the pub for lunch…
  14. And then be totally pissed off when you get attacked by an army of wasps and have to move inside
  15. You’ll start an elaborate landscaping project in your garden (that you’ll never complete)
  16. You’ll think it’s not that hot until you have a shower and realise you’re the colour of Mr Blobby
  17. And defend your stupidity by telling everyone that you ‘always go red before you tan’
  18. You’ll revisit that exercise regime you started last summer
  19. You’ll rush out to buy a paddling pool…
  20. Use it for a day and then watch it collect rainwater for the next month
  21. You’ll consider purchasing a gazebo and an outside patio heater
  22. You may find yourself secretly watching Big Brother
  23. You’ll get ridiculously excited in Primark picking up everything you need for your summer hols…
  24. Get to the till and wonder how the hell all those Β£5 items added up to Β£100
  25. You’ll find yourself browsing lastminute.com – you realise summer’s over and you need more sun!

What are your plans for the summer?!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Kim Carberry
    April 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm

hahaha! I love this! It is all so blimming true. lol
    Kim Carberry recently posted…All the faces. #wickedwednesdaysMy Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:36 am

Thanks lovely – if only it wasn’t ha! x

2. Mrs Tubbs
    April 21, 2016 at 9:52 am

Lovely! And all so true. Bring it on!

3. Emma Jones
    April 21, 2016 at 10:10 pm

I cannot wait to have our first BBQ, paint my nails coral & buy some new sunglasses, hang the washing on the line & find the paddling pool. At the moment some days I’m still in winter stuff. Hurry up warmer weather. #coolmumclub lifeinthemumslane
    Emma Jones recently posted…Motherhood is……My Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:25 am

I love how we all have the same rituals – I think it may actually be about to happen this week! Whoop!

4. MMT
    April 22, 2016 at 9:36 am

Brilliantly spot on! Oh, the days when paddling pools were solely purchased for the purpose of keeping beers cool πŸ˜‰

From one proud Brit to another, ROLL ON SUMMER!

x MMT
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub: Meet the members…A Mum track mindMy Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:26 am

Haha, oh those were the days! I’m not sure a photo of Taylor in the pool surrounded by beers would make my Instagram! x

5. Mackenzie Glanville
    April 22, 2016 at 10:57 am

love this, it is just so interesting for me as I am in Australia being crispy fried in the summertime with between 30 and 40 degrees! I do all I can to avoid the sun! It’s autumn now and much more pleasant. Enjoy your summertime xx Linekd after you #thelist

May 3, 2016 at 11:28 am

Oh I can’t imagine being crispy fried right now – it seems like it’s been so long! Enjoy your lovely Aussie weather! x

6. Lisa
    April 22, 2016 at 11:18 am

Great Post. I certainly couldn’t have came up with 25 reason to love a British summer lol!
    Lx
    #TheList

7. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    April 22, 2016 at 12:18 pm

This is brilliant – all so true! We have to jump on the first BBQ of the season though don’t we? Even though yes the bugs will be out & it will be baltic again at 6pm lol #coolmumclub x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…Galway Fashion Trail 2016My Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:29 am

I think we may actually be having our first of the year tonight – it’s looking pretty sunny right now! Ha x

8. Rosie @greenrosielife
    April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Possibly true of northern France too πŸ˜‰
    Rosie @greenrosielife recently posted…Weekly Green Tips #4 – 7 Vegetables everyone can growMy Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:36 am

Ha – I can imagine! x

9. Natasha
    April 24, 2016 at 12:03 am

haha! love 19 and 20 about the paddling pool, we actually did that last summer #KCACOLS
    Natasha recently posted…In The Night Garden All-in-one from Zippy Review & GiveawayMy Profile

10. Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    April 24, 2016 at 12:10 am

A great list, I’m off to do that Primark thing with my daughter tomorrow
    Coombe Mill – Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 23rd April 2016My Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:35 am

Thank you! Hope you didn’t spend too much!!

11. Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    April 24, 2016 at 12:11 am

forgot to say popping by from #KCACOLS

12. Tori
    April 24, 2016 at 3:51 am

This all sounds so great! Lot’s I can relate to here in Canada as well – our weather channel is never accurate. I think, in another life I would have made a great Brit πŸ˜‰ Seems lovely, especially all the bloggers coming that way!
    Thanks for linking up with #KCACOLS. Hope you will come back again next Sunday!
    Tori

May 3, 2016 at 11:30 am

That’s so funny as we have a real desire to come and live in Canada one day! At least we will be used to the weather! πŸ™‚ x

13. Baby Anon
    April 24, 2016 at 8:14 am

Ha ha ha. Today is meant to be spring – but it’s snowing! Mother has already rushed out to buy me a paddling pool, in panicked response to recent sunshine…I think it will be some time before we use it….#KCACOLS

May 3, 2016 at 11:31 am

I love that you have the paddling pool at the ready – we will have to dig ours out of the loft! Hopefully! x

14. justsayingmum
    April 24, 2016 at 7:22 pm

very very true – nodded away to all of them! Oh why are our summers so short and so unpredictable? The British should have been bred not to like the summer – then we’d cope with the rubbish of it all – very entertaining post #KCACOL
    justsayingmum recently posted…Please Leave my Husband Alone …My Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:32 am

So true – but then I guess we wouldn’t like summer if it was hot all of the time! We always want what we can’t have don’t we?? x

15. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    April 24, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Haha, so very very true! We start sorting the garden out every summer… then as soon as it starts raining again just leave it! x #KACACOLS
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…This Week #32My Profile

16. Life as Mum
    April 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm

haha brilliant. All of that is SO true!

17. Jenny | Jenny on a Plate
    April 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I love this list, all so true! This will be our first summer in our new house, so I’m hoping for lots of BBQs but in reality, we’ll probably manage two at best! #KCACOLS

18. Allyson Greene
    April 25, 2016 at 7:24 pm

So true, even for this American girl! I have put off the barbecuing though, with the promise to my hubby we can fire up the grill once the yard is in proper order! #KCACOLS ps we secretly watch Big Brother too
    Allyson Greene recently posted…Bacon Fontina Arugula Grilled CheeseMy Profile

May 3, 2016 at 11:34 am

We also need to get our garden in order – it’s in such a mess! But then I guess that will come once we get some warmer weather at last! x

19. Silly Mummy
    April 26, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Haha – throw away a lot of salad! Yes! I actually hate summer, so British summers & their tendency to be a bit rubbish is at least better than summer could be for me! #KCACOLS
    Silly Mummy recently posted…My Name Is Silly Mummy, and I Am a Rubbish Birth PlannerMy Profile

20. You Baby Me Mummy
    April 27, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Ha ha! Loved this! So very true πŸ™‚ Such a fab post huni. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…Week 24 #LittleFierceOnes Round-UpMy Profile