The nursery lurgy…and when to listen to Dad

Catching measles at nursery

We had obviously been forewarned about the germs that harbor within nursery walls – snotty children wiping their bogies on the toys, sneezing all over each other and stealing food from each other’s plates (food that’s likely been chewed up and spat out of a germ infested mouth)…There really is no wonder.

germs at nursery But nothing quite prepared me for the onslaught of illness that we would welcome into our home since Taylor’s very first day.

We seem to have been riddled with runny noses, chesty coughs and throat infections for the last two months now. Mr M seems to have come off quite well all things considering, whilst Taylor and I have been popping painkillers (gulping Calpol) and antibiotics like nobody’s business. But nothing seems to be shifting it.

Now, I’m not one to moan about illness – I avoid the doctors unless I’m certain I’m going to come out with medicine and I have a tendency to downplay ailments and illnesses. I can’t help it, I get it from my mother.

But obviously I’m a little different when it comes to my 16 month old daughter.

Just before the weekend Taylor came down with a fever so it was back to the doctors once more – this time we were told she had a throat and ear infection and we were sent home with antibiotics. And then four days later she woke up with a rash over her body – just like a heat rash.

So I thought it was a heat rash. She was the happiest I’d seen her in ages so surely it was nothing serious – we’d know if she was ill. Plus I’d looked at all of the rashes on Google images and it didn’t look like any of them. In my defense, we did have a heat wave this weekend and we’d spent a lot of time out in the sun…And then I took Taylor with me on my Aldi shop and even the check out lady said ‘ah has she got a bit of heat rash?” So that pretty much confirmed it for me.

I returned from Aldi and told the hubby that he could take her to the emergency doctor’s appointment he’d made. I was a little embarrassed – surely there are people feeling a lot more ill and need to see a doctor more urgently…

IMG_2003

So when he pulled up an hour later and told me she’d been diagnosed with measles I thought he was having me on: “But she’s had her MMR, how’s that possible??” I asked? Apparently it is – and if she hadn’t had the vaccine at twelve months, she’d be in a much worse state than she is now. There’s nothing they can do for her of course – just more Calpol and wait for it to pass. And thank our lucky stars that we got her vaccinated in the first place.

The good news is that apparently once the rash comes out, it means that the worst of it is over and Taylor seems to be returning back to her usual happy self. I’d almost be worried about taking her back to nursery again next week if it wasn’t for the wasted fees that are constantly tallying up inside my head…£££££££££££.

We don’t need to talk about me (no, I’m fine, honestly – thanks for asking).

So take heed people – always take your child to the doctors, always get your child vaccinated.

And listen to Dad.

At least sometimes.

Have you managed to overcome the germs at nursery? I’d love to hear any tips you have!

Run Jump Scrap!

1. Becky @ Educating Roversi
    May 14, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Oh yes, the dreaded lergies! We’ve been subject to them but luckily been illness free recently – fingers crossed it lasts! #KCACOLS

May 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm

We seem to be finally coming out the other side now – so fingers crossed for a better week this week! x

2. Dr Mummykins
    May 14, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Hear hear! (haha, but I’m of course terrible biased!) x x #KCACOLS

3. Fi - Beauty Baby and Me
    May 15, 2016 at 8:03 am

Gosh you must have got a bit of a fright!! I’m so glad little one is OK, and yes sometimes we have to listen to dad 😉 xx #KCACOLS

May 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Yes, it was a little scary, but so thankful we had the vaccine! It just shows you how important it is. I do hat Dad being right though 😉 xx

4. Davina
    May 15, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Eurgh. The GERMS! Weird thing happened to us last week. Both kids had diarrhoea with no other symptoms of illness. Come Friday, I was throwing my guts up after a night out with N. This went on for most of the night and the following day. Neither of the kids caught it, which led me to assume they’d already had it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m really glad they didn’t end up as sick as I was, but it’s unfair that I had to get the puking part! I hope you’re all better now! #KCACOLS

May 19, 2016 at 11:52 am

Ah poor you! I know I always seem to catch whatever Taylor has and the hubby gets of pretty well! Must be a mum thing. Much better now thanks x
      Mum in Brum recently posted…Instagram – lessons I’ve learned so farMy Profile

5. The Pramshed
    May 16, 2016 at 8:41 am

We have this all to come when our little one starts nursery at the end of June – well hopefully not measles. I’m so sorry that it was measles, but it just goes to show that we need to vaccinate our children, Taylor seems to have taken it in her stride which is fab! I hope you all start to feel better soon. Claire x #KCACOLS

May 19, 2016 at 11:54 am

Ah good luck with the start of nursery – we’re out the other side of it now so fingers crossed! x
      Mum in Brum recently posted…Instagram – lessons I’ve learned so farMy Profile

6. Savannah
    May 16, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Sounds like roseola-or baby measles! It’s pretty common, but I’m so glad she’s handling it so well <3 I'm so sorry to hear that she got sick on her FIRST DAY! What awful luck :/
    I hope you're all feeling back to tip-top shape in no time. <3 #KCACOLS
    Savannah recently posted…Deliciously Vegan Carrot DogsMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:36 am

She’s feeling so much better now! Luckily she had her vaccination so it wasn’t too bad bless her. I’m hoping our immune systems will get much stronger from now on x

7. Crummy Mummy
    May 18, 2016 at 5:16 pm

These pesky germs go round and round – and the bad news is it doesn’t get much better with school either. Still, at least that’s free… #bestandworst
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…Why there should be a 10th month of pregnancyMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:40 am

Haha – yep there is that! x

8. Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb)
    May 18, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Oh nursery germs i don’t miss them at all! My eldest (now 11) was running a temperature at nursery when she was about 17 months old, i was called to collect her as they couldn’t get the temperature down and she was full of cold. Within 30 minutes of being home i was calling an ambulance as she started fitting. She had a febrile convulsion. It lasted over 1 hour, not even the paramedics could stop it. She was put into an induced coma in resus to stop it. We were in hosptial for 4 nights while they monitored her. It was the scariest thing i have ever been through! Children do know how to keep us on our toes! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday x
    Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb) recently posted…My Blog on MOSI weekend in Manchester 2016My Profile

May 18, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Wow that sounds horrendous! Makes our little germs seem very insignificant – I can’t imagine how worrying this must’ve been for you. So glad she’s well now xx

9. Sarah
    May 18, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Oh wow bless her. Thank goodness she is getting better! yes get your kids vaccinated!! Don’t even talk to me about germs….we had hell when the gremlin just hit 6 months and I slowed down on the breastfeeding. Then she went to nursery and basically we were all iller than ever. SOoooo glad it is the summer now and fingers crossed a bit less. Get well soon all and thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x
    Sarah recently posted…Best and Worst Week #50My Profile

May 18, 2016 at 10:45 pm

It really does get a bit much doesn’t it?! We’ve been ill for around 8 weeks now and it just keeps hopping from one of us to the next! Hopefully the warmer weather will bring us better health x

10. helen gandy
    May 19, 2016 at 10:55 am

Oh no bless her, as Sarah says we had the same when we sent our 2 to nursery, I have never been so ill or had so many germs in the house, kids just seem to pick up everything don’t they. Popping over from #coolmumclub bu thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst too 🙂
    helen gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #50My Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:26 am

I’m hoping that once the initial bout is over we’ll have Trojan immune systems!! 🙂 x

11. Talya
    May 19, 2016 at 11:41 am

Oh man nurseries are an absolute hotbed! I am bad at taking my little to the docs as she is perpetually ill and we’d have to camp out, but I do ensure we vaccinate. Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub and hope your baby is on the mend now hon xx
    Talya recently posted…Expert Editions vol 11: 10 foods to avoid when weaning your babyMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:55 am

Ha – I’m starting to feel like camping out recently! But yep, all on the mend now thankfully! xx
      Mum in Brum recently posted…Instagram – lessons I’ve learned so farMy Profile

12. Petite Pudding
    May 19, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Oh the germs from nursery are never ending – my son brings everything home. He seems to be ok with most things, but these unfiltered toddler germs can wipe me and my husband out for a week! I honestly didn’t know little ones could get measles when they had the MMR vaccine, that surprised me but good to know for future reference. #kcacols
    Petite Pudding recently posted…Papa PuddingMy Profile

13. Bridie By The Sea
    May 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Oh you poor things! We haven’t started nursery yet but I keep hearing that she’ll bring home all sorts of things when she starts…hope the measles passed quickly and thank goodness for Calpol 🙂 Totally surprised me about the vaccine, I would have thought the same as you x #KCACOLS

14. Right Royal Mother
    May 20, 2016 at 4:44 am

Urgh – I am right in it at the moment. The slightest cough or temperature and NG’s nursery is very strict about her not going and I can’t think about the £££ either! So far we haven’t even had any ‘major’ illness but I am waiting for the day when one of the biggies strikes … still, I suppose it boosts their little systems to be surrounded by so many germs (there has to be a bright side, right!?)

May 20, 2016 at 11:40 am

That’s what I keep telling myself! I’m waiting for the day when she won’t have a runny nose – but I’m not sure it’s going to be any time soon! x

15. natalie
    June 8, 2016 at 9:55 pm

ah lovely I remember this well – I have 2 little girls and when one gets it the other one shortly follows and then of course I get it too – I generally have to cancel the whole month of January due to illness! I hope you are all feeling better x

16. […] great for spending relaxed, quality time together. With both of us feeling a bit crappy from various nursery illnesses we’ve fallen out of this habit recently, but  we really need to start making the effort […]