Creating a vegetable patch in the garden

Every year I talk about creating a vegetable patch, and every year the spring and summer months pass me by and I find myself looking out onto a garden with no such patch in sight.

So this year without the excuse of a hectic work schedule or a newborn baby, I was determined to pull my finger out and get to work growing some of the vegetables and herbs we consume the most.

creating-a-vegetable-patch

In March I purchased seeds for some tomato plants which I placed in small pots with compost on our windowsill, covered with clingfilm (I’d forgotten to pick up a propagator, but watched a YouTube Video which ensured me this would work). And it did! To my surprise, from 16 seeds, I soon had 16 saplings which rapidly grew to 8 inch tomato plants. Within no time it was time to transplant them into our garden…

growing tomatoes and creating a vegetable patch

Creating a vegetable patch

When we moved into our house two years ago we inherited a garden that had lacked any love and attention – aside from a few overgrown shrubs and a weed-riddled patio, not much time had been spent on it for some years. On the plus side it did have a couple of apple trees, which produces more than enough apples for an endless supply of apple crumbles throughout the winter, and there are also quite a few blackberry bushes alongside a damson tree. So it felt fitting to add to this garden of abundance.

Last year we had the patio uplifted and replaced it with new slate tiles and had new fencing fitted to make the garden more private. We didn’t get around to planting any flowers last year – or cutting any borders for that matter.

creating a vegetable patch and enjoying the gardencreating a vegetable patch

So with the warmer weather on our side last weekend we got busy in the garden and set about the task of digging weeds, cutting borders and creating a vegetable patch. Well, I say ‘we’…what actually happened was I started digging, found it far too much like hard work and Mr M gallantly came to my rescue whilst I fiddled around with my fork picking out anything that looked like a weed or debris…We then dug small wells about 18 inches apart and placed a small amount of compost around each sapling, using twigs for support.

And now I have my own little corner of our garden to call my own! Even Taylor was excited, helping me to water the new vegetable patch with her very own watering can.

growing our own veg and enjoying the garden

I also have 16 chili plants currently growing on my windowsill…and seeds for spring onions and peppers. I’m not sure where they’re going to go yet, but perhaps I’ll just have to use our entire garden!

Have you ever thought about creating a vegetable patch in your garden? Do you grow your own?

How to create a vegetable patch in your garden

Life Unexpected
Run Jump Scrap!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

1. Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos
    May 14, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Such a fun thing to do with children, I wish you much gardening success and some delicious veg to follow #KCACOLS
    Coombe Mill – Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 14th May 2016My Profile

May 15, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Thanks so much Fiona – fingers crossed it’s all worth the effort! x

2. Fi - Beauty Baby and Me
    May 15, 2016 at 7:51 am

This is adorable ! I look forward to us moving so we have a bigger garden and I can do this for Josh xx #KCACOLS

May 15, 2016 at 8:26 pm

It is fun to do – although Taylor seems intent on ripping them out at the moment so I keep having to distract her with the watering can (which means she ends up soaked through every time we go out!) xx

3. Crummy Mummy
    May 15, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Your garden looks huge! We have an allotment as we live in a flat and I’m about to plant out the pumpkins for Halloween! #KCACOLS

May 15, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Wow that is super organised!! It is pretty big, which is silly really as we don’t have green fingers at all so we find it hard to keep on top of it! We’ve already said we don’t want much of a garden when we move next – good for growing veg though x

4. To Arizona and beyond
    May 15, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Hope the tomatoes turn out well! We used to grow peas and strawberries as children. Eating peas fresh out their pods was such fun! #KCACOLS
    To Arizona and beyond recently posted…SAY WHAAAT??My Profile

May 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Thank you! No tomatoes yet but fingers crossed! Ooh pea pods sound fun – perhaps I should look at planting some of those too! #KCACOLS

5. Savannah
    May 15, 2016 at 9:05 pm

So much fun! I love growing our own veggies, and I use that time to talk about life and growing plants and caring for living things with my son. He’s only 13 months old, so he doesn’t quite grasp what we’re doing, but I think the exposure is important! I hope your tomatoes continue to grow well-they look great! Can’t wait to see where you add all the new veggies <3 #KCACOLS

May 19, 2016 at 11:48 am

I think it’s such a great activity to do with children! I’m not sure Taylor fully understands but she always goes over to water them now when I fill up her watering can. Fingers crossed we get some veg soon! x
      Mum in Brum recently posted…Instagram – lessons I’ve learned so farMy Profile

6. Sara Skillington
    May 16, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Such a great post! It is such a rewarding thing to do and involving children is so important in my view. Even toddlers can have fun watering and digging! We grow our own herbs and various other edible things. I bet Taylor will love it when she can see things sprouting 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Sara Skillington recently posted…Miniature Peter Rabbit Garden – Kids in the Garden Blog HopMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:39 am

Taylor absolutely loves her watering can – although she’s constantly asking me to fill it up “more!”…very cute and so much more fun doing it with kids than on your own x

7. Claire at Tin Box Traveller
    May 16, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I’m terrible with plants but would love a vegetable patch. Everything tastes so much better when it’s fresh. I’m still not sure I’d have the patience though. Your seedling tomatoe plants are seriously impressive. Good luck with the project! #KCACOLS
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…#TravelTimehop series edition #15 – Jo Jacks TravelMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:38 am

Thanks Claire, fingers crossed we start to get some tomatoes soon – it will be an awful lot of effort if not!Ha! x

8. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    May 16, 2016 at 7:36 pm

This is lovely! Best of luck for all your plants. I set up a raised bed this year and I was growing onions and leeks, but unfortunately we’ve just had a flood so I’m having to rethink everything! We’re changing tack and going for beetroot now (I’m going to have to look out loads of beetroot recipes or we’ll be so sick of it!) #KCACOLS
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…The Fear of TwoMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:35 am

Agh how annoying about the flood! I’d be gutted after all of that work! I love beetroot, I’m sure you’ll discover loads of new recipes you would’ve never tried. Hopefully I’ll have to get a few more tomato recipes! Fingers crossed x

9. Kim (sisterkin)
    May 18, 2016 at 8:31 am

What lovely photos. We also have a vegetable patch but this is the first year that I have attempted to grow from seed. As a result we have about 12,000 sunflowers! Oh well. #bestandworst
    Kim (sisterkin) recently posted…5 Things No-one Tells You When Your Baby is PrematureMy Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:30 am

Haha! I’m thinking that we will have way more tomatoes than we can eat – we’ve none as yet but I live in hope! At least your sunflowers will be cheery! x

10. Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb)
    May 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Oh i love this idea! I just wish my garden was big enough to be able to create a vegetable patch! I also don’t trust my puppy not to eat all the plants as they are trying to grow! Taylor looks like she is really enjoying herself too! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday x
    Rachel (Lifeathomewithmrsb) recently posted…My Blog on MOSI weekend in Manchester 2016My Profile

May 19, 2016 at 11:49 am

To be fair, it’s proving pretty difficult keeping our dog Max away from the patch – especially when he has a ball he wants to bury! Perhaps window boxes would’ve been a better idea! x
      Mum in Brum recently posted…Instagram – lessons I’ve learned so farMy Profile

11. Training Mummy
    May 19, 2016 at 3:48 pm

We started out own veg patch in one of those cheap greenhouse things and they were growing so well until the wind blew the greenhouse down and they were destroyed. Gutted. Looks like yours is coming on well and with such a great helper! #Whatevertheweather

12. Elaine @ Entertaining Elliot
    May 19, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I’m really bad at keeping plants alive but we have tentatively grown some sunflowers this year! I need to put them outside soon but slightly concerned they might get eaten by slugs!! #bestandworse

13. Erin Vincent
    May 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Isn’t garden fun! We have a large garden and the children helped us plant 160 tomato plants last week! Boy, were we tired. Love that pictures, especially of that big grinning smile. 😍

14. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)
    May 20, 2016 at 10:36 am

Aww wow you have a garden haha! I dont have any space for one thats why I am always jealous of people who has got one. Taylor looks so happy to be able to water the plants and shes got the cutest watering can ever! #whatevertheweather
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…A Learning ProcessMy Profile

May 20, 2016 at 11:39 am

Haha, I have such a love/hate relationship with our garden – most of the time it’s such a mess as we never get much time to dedicate to it! We have said that when we move next we only want a small garden, but it is nice to have a bit of green x

15. Sarah
    May 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm

My hubby is fab at it and trying to get my daughter involved. Before she was born he grew tonnes but yes harder to maintain when you are busy!! Can’t wait to see the outcome and your pics are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x
    Sarah recently posted…DistractedMy Profile

16. Hannah G, The 'Ordinary' Mum
    May 21, 2016 at 8:11 am

This looks so good!! I wish we had a garden big enough for a veggie patch but instead we’ve created our own little herb garden in a pot- if they grow. Really hope all your veggies grow beautifully and you have some yummy home grown fruit and veggie to eat over the coming months #whatevertheweather x
    Hannah G, The ‘Ordinary’ Mum recently posted…52 Week Challenge- Week 10My Profile

May 22, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Thanks lovely, fingers crossed – no sign of tomatoes as yet! Good luck with your herbs x

17. Chloe Ciliberto
    May 22, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I am so rubbish at planting, I’m definitely going to be taking your advice from this post and trying to plant again. Taylor looks so happy with her little watering can. What a great way to have some messy muddy garden fun! I hope your vegetable patch is successful! Thank you so much for sharing with #whatevertheweather x

May 23, 2016 at 8:16 am

Thanks chloe it was really good fun – good luck with trying it again! X

18. Laura
    May 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm

You’re doing a lot better than I ever had. The first year we planted loads and all got eaten by slugs, since then I’ve never bothered lol! Enjoy the fruits of your labour 🙂 #bestandworst
    Laura recently posted…Book Review: Maverick Early ReadersMy Profile

May 25, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Ah no! I did see something had been nibbling at ours last week – agh!!

19. […] recently created a mini vegetable patch in a corner of our garden where we’ve so far planted 16 tomato plants. Whilst I was digging […]

20. Laura @Dancing dandelions
    May 24, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Taylors little cheeky face is Oh so adorable! We love planting here too. Good luck with it! #whatevertheweather

May 25, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Thanks so much – hoping we see the fruits of our labour soon!

21. Nikki
    May 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm

We do plant a garden, and we love it! There’s nothing better than shopping for produce in your own back yard! You have a ton of tomatoes, you’ll be able to stock up on tomato sauce for the entire winter!

What type of compost did you use on your seeds? They grew so big and healthy! And 16 plants out of 16 seeds? Amazing. That never happens for me! This year we did plant some seeds to grow in our window, and I would love to do that every year, but time seems to get away from me.

I can’t wait to see how your garden progresses! And what you do with the produce. It’s awesome to have Taylor involved in the process, she will grow up knowing the value of producing her own food. And how to plant a garden of her own. BTW, that pic of her with her watering can is awesome! Obviously she loves helping. And her shirt “feeling fabulous” is the best, I need one in my size!
    Nikki recently posted…Behind The Scenes-Make Lemonade ShopMy Profile

May 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm

It is so lovely to grow our own – I’m not seeing any tomatoes yet so fingers crossed! In fact they look a little worse for wear since we moved them outside so I’m hoping they’ll improve soon! I can’t remember what the compost was to be honest but it definitely did its job! Hopefully I’ll be able to update you when we get an abundance of tomatoes x

22. Jenny Eaves
    May 27, 2016 at 10:55 pm

The garden looks great and how happy does Taylor look, she’s going to be a great help in the garden, watering all the plants. I’m sure you’ll get a good crop of veggies this year. Thanks so much for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x