6 ways I suck at being a mum

6 ways I suck at being a mum

6 ways I suck at being a mum1. messy play makes me anxious

I would love to be cool with messy play and seriously, I’ve tried. I can’t even tell you that I have OCD tendencies and hate mess – the husband would call me out in an instant. But there’s just something about messy play that just puts me on edge. I’ve tried to let loose, making shakers with rice, filling containers with glitter and water…do you know how many months I was still finding rice and glitter in my living room?? And don’t even get me started on the baby group I once went to when they were rolling around in cooked spaghetti and jelly. Just ew. At least with summer upon us, I can take the messy play outside.

2. i despise soft play

I know that most parents have an aversion to soft play, but I seriously would rather stick hot rods in my eyes. Okay, not quite but it’s up there for me with smear tests. Perhaps when Taylor’s a little older and I can wave from the parameter with a cuppa in my hand, it won’t be so bad. But jeez, it’s hard work chasing a toddler around those places and making sure that she (and me) doesn’t get trampled on by the excited older kids. And please, why can’t I just walk up the slide with her so that she can go back down again? Do I really have to go all the way to the top again? In my defense I did once get stuck in a ball pit that I couldn’t get out of when I was younger…

3. I’m always late

In truth, I’ve been late my whole life – I was always the one to arrive at school just as the bell was ringing, the one to walk into lectures at uni and slip into the back row, the one who was never ever early, but just on time for the office. I’m not okay with being late, I just can’t seem to help itΒ (for anyone else who is always late you need to read this very amusing article on the subject)…Luckily nursery is a little more relaxed so I take her anywhere between 8-8.30 – if only I had a 30 minute grace with all appointments. I realise that I cannot be that mother who makes her child late for school every day or leaves her hanging around at the school gates looking out for my car. God help me.

6 ways I suck at being a mum

Image source

4. I’m a feeder

I discovered pretty early on that sometimes the only way to avert a toddler tantrum is to give her a bread stick, or a biscuit, or a packet of raisins – whatever’s closest to grab to be honest. Anything will do. And yes, sometimes it might be food of the unhealthy variety. Just yesterday I was in HomeSense and they actually have lollies at the check out. I know right? The lovely check out lady noticed Taylor was getting grizzly and told me to take a few. When she started to kick-off in Boots next door out came the lolly and whola! I gave a knowing smile to the lady with the newborn in front of me. She didn’t smile back. Back off lady, you wait and see.

5. I don’t ‘do’ ironing

Growing up my drawers were always full of starched clean clothes that were perfectly ironed and folded by my dear mother. I’m pretty sure even my pants and socks were ironed. I loved her for it then and I admire her for it now. How the hell did she find the time? Since I left home I’ve very rarely felt the need to iron – much to the hubby’s dismay. In fact, I purposely avoid buying clothes that crease easily so that I don’t have to iron them. So Mr M has to iron his own shirts and I only get out the iron if something desperately needs it. I feel that now I’m a mother I should probably start to take ironing a little more seriously. Baby grows and romper suits haven’t required it so far though – hopefully I can get away with it until school??

6. I can’t wait for 7pm

I love my daughter with all of my heart, really I do. But I also love being able to sit down without being trampled across, and enjoy a meal without pesky hands taking a swipe at my chicken kiev. The truth is that come 7pm I’m spent and just want to sit on my arse for a few hours. And yes, there has been a few times where Taylor seems to have eaten her dinner quicker than usual, we’ve given her a bath and then looked at the clock and both said, “How the hell is it only 6.15?” Iggle Piggle (and Taylor) cannot get into bed soon enough some days.

Can you relate to any of this? What are your ‘parenting pitfalls?’

Cuddle Fairy
You Baby Me Mummy

1. Lucy
    May 25, 2016 at 9:06 am

Ah, I am with you on the ironing. It’s the one household chore I have always refused to do! Kids are going to crumple the clothes playing anyway right……
    Also, my parents iron pants and socks too, what’s with that?!
    #BloggerClubUK

May 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I think mothers were made of different stuff back then – they didn’t have important things like blogs to run I guess! πŸ˜‚

2. Briony
    May 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I have a standing rule in this house, if it needs ironing don’t buy it, I live by this rule. As for the husb’s work shirts, they are his, so the ironing is his, I shall stick to this rule when L starts school and I need to start making sure he looks presentable.
    Soft play is awful, I might like it more when I don’t have to participate, I’m always worried my fat bum will get wedged somewhere, which just adds an extra level of hatred. #BloggerClubUK

May 25, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Haha I think it’s a great rule to have! As for soft play – it’s such an effort getting through those tunnels, I’ll definitely be more up for it when I don’t have to participate!

3. Laura - dear bear and beany
    May 25, 2016 at 3:45 pm

nodded along to all of this! Messy play, no thank you! My mum was the same with ironing, I have no clue how she managed it. X #bloggerclubuk
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Holly…Twenty One MonthsMy Profile

May 25, 2016 at 6:46 pm

It really is beyond me – I only just manage to keep on top of washing the clothes let alone ironing them! X

4. Sammie
    May 25, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I can relate to every single one of these bullet points. It is nice to know I am not the only one!!
    I HATE being late, but I always am. It drives me insane. I don’t iron anything either. I have seen adverts for non iron school uniforms – praying they are still available in 2 years when my daughter starts.

5. Midge
    May 25, 2016 at 8:40 pm

YES! totally with you on each and every one of these – I definitely DO NOT iron and the only thing I hate more than ironing is enduring the torture that is soft play! #BloggerClubUk

6. Fran Back With A Bump
    May 26, 2016 at 11:24 am

I agree with all good those! I count down the time from school pick up to bedtime, I watch the clock wishing it was 10pm so I can do the dream feed and get to bed. I only iron if I have to as life’s too short and in too ocd about other things to find the time! #coolmumclub

7. justsayingmum
    May 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Ha ha brilliant! I too have so many ‘attributes’ (as I call them – I try to look at the positive!) that are not conducive to being a Mummy – I hated role play and being bossed around by the toddlers on how to play the game, or what to say, and I couldn’t say this but had to day that – my absolute pet hate! I try to focus on what I was good at – talking – good at talking and giving them time so we are big chatters in our house – they were as toddlers and even now I pull them away from studies or netflix and say come downstairs and let’s chat!! Loved reading this though – go find those things you’re good at now! #BloggerClubUK
    justsayingmum recently posted…The Teenage Chronologues: Part Two β€˜Addicted’My Profile

8. Talya
    May 26, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Lol I am so there with you on numbers 1, 2, 5 and 7 that is me all over! But hey, perfection is dull! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x
    Talya recently posted…Expert editions vol 12: Mum guilt & how to stop feeling guilty as a mumMy Profile

9. MMT
    May 26, 2016 at 8:36 pm

This is spot on Nat. Tigs has just started wanting to stay up a little later these days. Hard times πŸ˜‰
    x MMT
    Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 28My Profile

10. Chloe
    May 27, 2016 at 7:57 am

Haha I could have written this myself. I am all of these. The one thing I try and embrace is messy play but it’s cordoned to one area and we are basically in boiler suits to not ruin clothes haha xx

11. Mrs Morgan Plus 3
    May 27, 2016 at 11:19 am

Oh my I could have written this post myself! Popping over from #coolmumclub xx

12. Tall Mum in Manchester
    May 27, 2016 at 11:42 am

I’m all about no ironing. My hubby has sooo many shirts that pile up until he demolishes the pile in one long session in front of a box set. I’m more of an iron if I have to kinda gal – and more often than not leave the house hoping the creases will drop out, then feeling embarrassed when they haven’t. All this and Pea’s not even here yet, I doubt there’s any hope I’ll improve! #thelist

13. Mary Smith
    May 27, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Hahaha I must suck too at being a mum because I can agree with you on the majority of this! I check out at 7pm and just hope they stay in Bed… I am ALWAYS late too, which is so so hard now I have school runs to do – my son may have been the last boy on more than one occasion! And oh yes Ironing is a “as and when” situation. Most weeks the laundry doesn’t even get put away and we scrat through the basket of clean stuff, no way I can iron as well haha. x

14. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    May 30, 2016 at 11:12 am

Yes I can relate but I don’t consider them to be fails! lol I’m pretty sure this is just parenting! I always had in case of emergency lollies in the nappy bag. They were the chupa chump ones & inevitably the wrappers would NOT come off in an emergency situation! I’d be there trying to bite it off with a screaming child. So yes I think we can all relate – and the mom with the newborn will know soon enough. And no I don’t iron either! So chin up – you are doing awesome at parenting. Thanks so much for linking up with us at #BloggerClubUK x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…Rainy Day ActivitiesMy Profile

15. Clare
    May 30, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Yes, Yes and Yes! I am this mum too! So we can suck at motherhood together! 7pm is the best time of the day in my book! Although opening the wine a little early helps that last hour πŸ˜‰ #bloggerclubuk
    Clare recently posted…Spectrum Sunday #25My Profile

16. […] 6 Ways I Suck At Being A Mum by Mum in Brum […]

17. Lauren
    June 1, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Ah! I am all of these things – I totally suck at being a mum! I especially hate Soft Play! Messy play is usually more non messy play in my house, as soon as he goes crazy with it it’s time to pack up – is that bad? I can’t help it! I totally suck at being a mum ha!

18. Sarah
    June 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Oh yes – I can relate! We always swore we would not let any of our children eat in the car. Until a 6 hour journey to Wales made it inevitable. Now I always have emergency snacks in my handbag and there’s usually enough dropped raisins on the floor to keep them going for a while πŸ˜‰ I also have a laundry mountain – sometimes I have to sniff the piles to see which are clean and which are dirty!
    #BloggerClubUK

19. Coral
    June 3, 2016 at 12:01 pm

This is brilliant. I am ALWAYS late but, to make it worse, I usually use Archie as an excuse – when in reality he’s been ready to go for half an hour, but I’ve been sat in my pjs looking through Twitter!! Terrible.

20. Claire
    July 21, 2016 at 9:15 am

This made me laugh. I can relate to a lot this and my baby is only 6 months! I often ask myself how my mum had time for ironing, and how her house was always spotless! I’m living in mess 99% of the time.

21. Claire
    July 21, 2016 at 9:18 am

Our mums must have been magicians. My mums house was always spotless too!

22. Nay
    July 21, 2016 at 10:11 am

Totally relate to the 7pm point! Love my girls but I really like being able to sit on my sofa knowing I haven’t got to pretend to eat dinner, to find the puzzle piece or dress the dolly for the umpteenth time that afternoon.