A very British bank holiday weekend

I hope you all had a lovely bank holiday weekend with friends and family. I always love getting an extra day at the weekend when the hubby doesn’t have to go to work and everyone wants to make the most of their time away from the office. And for once, the weather was also on our side! Hooray for sunshine! Okay, it perhaps was a little cloudier than we would’ve liked, but at least it was warm and we didn’t have to eat the barbecue food indoors…

IMG_2388On the Saturday we had some friends around ours for a good old British barbie. I got all of our food from Aldi in the morning and set about making the pork kebabs and throwing together the salad before the hubby got home from work at 1pm.

Our friends also have a toddler so it was great for Taylor to have a pal for the day. To keep them entertained in the garden I made a sandpit using an under the bed storage container which I filled up with sand and bought a set with spades and buckets etc. Our friends also brought over an amazing mini bouncing castle which blew up in seconds – so the girls had an absolute blast!

DIY sandpit using under the bed storage containerIMG_2399IMG_2437

At least for the most part – Taylor is going through a biting stage at the moment…She never does it to us but she’s done it on three occasions to other toddlers now, which is obviously a bit of a worry. Unfortunately she did it a few times on Saturday – luckily her pal was super forgiving, but it meant that we had to watch her like we would a wild animal! Hopefully it’s a phase that she’ll grow out of soon! But for the majority of the day they got on so well and it was so cute to watch them exploring in the garden together and chatting to each other in toddler speak.

IMG_2401IMG_2406

On the Sunday we took ourselves off to our local for a roast dinner. I absolutely love going out for a Sunday roast and they do the most amazing lamb there so we were in our element. We didn’t get chance to have a pudding as Taylor started to kick off, but we had some cheeky chocolate puddings in our fridge anyway, so it was back home to eat those! I do think that this age (17 months) seems to be the most difficult for eating out with Taylor so far – she’s too restless to sit still and is just not into watching videos on the phone at the moment. I’m looking forward to when a little bit of Peppa Pig at the table will keep her entertained!

On Monday we were invited by friends to another barbecue in the afternoon. They’ve just moved into a new house so it was lovely to see their new pad and enjoy great food and company. We took our dog Max with us who managed to keep the kids entertained for a little while. When the espresso martinis came out later on it was our cue to leave so that we could get Taylor bathed and to bed…who says parents are dull?!

What did you get up to over the bank holiday weekend?

Run Jump Scrap!

1. Kim Carberry
    May 31, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Ahh! It looks like you have had a lovely weekend…
    We had family visiting which was nice…
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Taking back the kitchen! #LittleKitchenMy Profile

June 14, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I really don’t think you can beat a weekend spent with family x
      Mum in Brum recently posted…How to have a relaxing holiday abroad with young childrenMy Profile

2. Sarah
    June 1, 2016 at 7:44 am

OOh a weekend that is full of food sounds like one I would like too! The weather was pretty good wasn’t it? We managed a BBQ too but my girlie isn’t into the food too much so she ended having 1.5 boiled eggs!!! Lovely photos and hope was as good as it looked! xx Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst xx
    Sarah recently posted…Happy Birthday Best and Worst Week and a **GIVEAWAY**My Profile

June 14, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Boiled eggs are always a winner in our house too! They’re the go-to if the meal I planned isn’t well received ha xx

3. Mrs Tubbs
    June 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm

You had sun! We had pouring rain, the like of which I’ve not seen for ages … Glad you had a wonderful weekend 🙂

4. Lizzie firstooth
    June 1, 2016 at 9:37 pm

What a lovely weekend. W have indoor BBQs too when the weather is awful. Such sweet pictures, our daughter went through a biting phase a few months back, she’s still very little so I put it down to teething. I’m sure the phase will pass, but it’s always handy having an understanding and forgiving firned, bless her! #bestandworst

June 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I’m hoping it’s a phase – she does seem to be getting a little better with the biting but has started scratching now! Hopefully she’ll grow out of it soon! x

5. Emma
    June 5, 2016 at 9:41 am

Oh it sounds and looks like you had a lovely bank holiday weekend. That bouncy castle looks fab. We have just had the biting stage with youngest and whilst it is worrying they do grow out of it. Like you say you just have to watch them like a hark until then :- ) Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday
    Emma recently posted…Green People Sun Lotion ReviewMy Profile

6. Fran @ Whinge Whinge Wine
    June 5, 2016 at 10:05 am

This looks a LOT better than our BH weekend (linked in the comment luv bit… you couldn’t make it up!). Wish I could make up for it this weekend but we are still catching up on sleep and the weather is iffy!

My kids would LOVE a bouncy castle! #KCACOLS
    Fran @ Whinge Whinge Wine recently posted…It never rains but it sure does pourMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:34 pm

oh no, I need to read your post! Hope the weather was good for you this weekend in the end x

7. justsayingmum
    June 5, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Oh I love typical British bank Holiday weekends! BBQ and friends. Gorgeous photos and I love the idea of the super quick blow up bouncy castle! You made me giggle about the martini espressos – you’ll be partaking in the future I’m sure – just not with toddlers! #KCACOLS
    justsayingmum recently posted…Darling, It’s Your Time NowMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I’m sure hoping so! I admit, I did have one and the hubby had to remind me that we still had a toddler to get to bed – bah! x

8. Sarah
    June 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Lovely weekend 🙂 biting is the worst – it’s usually more embarrassing for parents than anything else! #KCACOLS
    Sarah recently posted…Easy Peasy Pancake RecipeMy Profile

9. Mary Smith
    June 5, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Awww I love the pics of Taylor with her buddy. Its so cute to see them making relationships at such a young age isn’t it? Looks like a great BH weekend…we spent time with family and had a day out on the saturday to a local National trust spot!

Id like to say eating out with kids does get easier but they seem to get louder and faster at running around all crazy ahhhhh x #bestandworst
    Mary Smith recently posted…The Ordinary Moments 2016 #22 – Camping & Coastal AdventuresMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:24 pm

It was so cute. Your weekend sounds great – I love a National Trust day out! I can imagine re.eating out – Taylor’s already started to stand up in high chairs aggghhh! x

10. Mommy's Little Princesses
    June 9, 2016 at 10:01 pm

It sounds like you all had a really lovely bank holiday weekend. The pictures of Taylor and her friend are just so adorable! We went to East Park on Saturday, swimming with the girls on Sunday morning and Monday afternoon watched Ella at her swimming lessons.xx #KCACOLS

11. Sarah@teammomlife
    June 10, 2016 at 2:06 am

This sounds like such a wonderful long weekend. We also had good weather and were able to set up a little play pool outside while we planted some things in out garden. Having people over for a BBQ sounds like so much fun. We opted out of hosing one this year because everyone was out of town. I’m sorry about the biting. I’ve heard some many stories of toddlers going through that phase. I’m sure it will get better soon. #KCACOLS
    Sarah@teammomlife recently posted…Top Ten Father’s Day GiftsMy Profile

12. Bridie By The Sea
    June 10, 2016 at 9:29 am

Sounds like such a wonderful weekend, I love your pictures. My little girl has bitten me a couple of times this week too, so maybe she’s entering that phase too – hope they both get out of that phase quickly! We had great weather here too and it’s lovely to be able to enjoy lots of time in the garden together x #KCACOLS
    Bridie By The Sea recently posted…Time For Your Own Room NowMy Profile

13. Sara Skillington
    June 10, 2016 at 10:46 am

What lovely photos! We actually had two sunny days so managed to have a bbq on the Monday. Great to be in the garden! Great that you managed to have a lovely weekend 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Sara Skillington recently posted…5 Great Benefits of Herbs and Spices for KidsMy Profile

14. Emma
    June 10, 2016 at 1:56 pm

urgh the biting stage. never fun! lovely pics and sounds like a fab weekend! #KCACOLS

15. Educating Roversi
    June 10, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Sounds like you had a lovely time! Great make shift sand pit! We travelled three hours to north london on the sunday morning for a friends little girls christening and Mini R had his first night in a hotel. The weather was lovely and we had a great time. #KCACOLS

16. Bread
    June 10, 2016 at 10:52 pm

May bank holidays are the best. We had a bbq with our neighbours that weekend too, though we didn’t get to go to the beach like I wanted because of my ankle. #kcacols
    Bread recently posted…Wordless Wednesday – Birds In The ParkMy Profile

17. Becky at PinksCharming
    June 10, 2016 at 11:45 pm

That sandpit is brilliant, what a great idea! Ours is years old and really skanky so I’m wondering if this would be a good replacement. Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing on #KCACOLS x
    Becky at PinksCharming recently posted…The Finishing Touches to my Home Office ShelfMy Profile

18. Clare
    June 11, 2016 at 11:26 am

Sounds like the perfect bank holiday weekend, although I would have totally stuck around for the cocktails 😉 #KCACOLS xx
    Clare recently posted…Last Minute Fathers Day GiftsMy Profile

19. […] days or the evenings spent on the sofa. You’ll remember the one garden party you went to, the awesome barbecue you threw and the one week you had out your paddling […]