10 products you must try from Aldi

Back when I worked full time I was a loyal customer of Tesco’s home delivery service. I didn’t have time to spend traipsing through the aisles of a supermarket and the convenience was ideal. But when I went on maternity leave I started to dabble in the odd trip to our local Aldi store. It started with the odd top-up shop and soon I was a fully-fledged Aldi shopper. To say that I’m a fan is an understatement. I absolutely love their products and value for money – so much so that I wrote a whole post about my transition to Aldi once before, and now I’m going to share with you some of my top Aldi products. Seriously, if you haven’t yet shopped in Aldi, these products are most definitely worth the visit.

Top-Aldi-products. 10 products you must try from Aldi

10 products you must try from Aldi

1. Rump steak

Apparently the steak in general is good, but my go-to is their rump which costs just £3.29 each. I tried it once and it’s now a regular on the menu for our Friday night date night (which realistically we get around to once a month!) A butcher once told my hubby the best way to cook a steak is to fry it off and then put it in the oven for 10 minutes and we find that cooking it this way makes it really tender. If you’re looking for a good quality steak that won’t drastically up the shopping bill, then you should definitely give this one a try.

2. nappies and baby wipes

Okay, that’s actually two products but I didn’t want to make this post all about my favourite Aldi baby products (Mamia rice cakes, sweet vine raisins, infant paracetamol, Harvest Morn porridge…) but if you are still buying Pampers nappies, WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? Sorry Pampers, you are good, but just not as good.

I know that all you loyal Pampers mums out there are still in doubt, but trust me, you have to give Aldi’s Mamia nappies a try. You can pick up a pack of 48 nappies for £3.39 – and get even better deals if you buy the jumbo box of 84. We used Pampers for the first six months of Taylor’s life and then made the swap to Aldi nappies – they are very similar in quality, but just so much better value.

Similar story on the baby wipes – I used to use Huggies which now seem so flimsy in comparison to the Aldi Mamia baby wipes. The Mamia wipes are bigger, stronger and also come in a pack with a plastic clip seal – no faffing about with that silly sticker. Plus you can pick up a box of 12 wipes for 5.99 – that’s less that 50 pence per pack! Just trust me on this one.

Aldi baby products

3. specially selected Extra virgin olive oil

Okay, I’m not an expert on olive oil to be honest, but this one looks posh in my kitchen and it costs just £3. Plus it was featured in the Independent’s 12 best olive oils. According to a top Italian chef (whose name I don’t recognise) this outclasses oils five times its price – and who are we to argue with a top Italian chef?

4. magnum premium washing up liquid

I know, I know, I once said I would never use anything other than Fairy. Well I did and it looks remarkably like Fairy actually, it’s just got ‘Magnum’ written on the front instead.

In all honesty it is very slightly thinner than Fairy, but you really do only need a very tiny amount for a big bowl of bubbly water – so it lasts almost as long as Fairy. Put it this way, it wipes the floor against any other own brand washing up liquid and costs just 69p – meaning that it actually washes 3x more plates than Fairy for every £1. It’s also been ranked top by both Which Best Buy and the Good House Keeping Institute. If it’s value for money you’re after, this one’s for you.

5. cambalala SA pinotAGE

Let me be honest here and admit that I’m not a wine snob, nor an expert on what makes a good wine. I’ve always tended to pick up the bottle that’s from the mid price range (or even better – on offer), preferring to avoid paint stripper but too tight to invest in anything over £7. So I picked up this bottle on one of my first trips to Aldi simply on the basis that it’s from South Africa and we did some wine tasting in SA on our honeymoon (I was probably trying to set the scene for date night!).

It’s so smooth to drink, not at all acidy and full of flavour…if you want the expert’s opinion apparently it’s fruity and perfect with roasts and creamy cheeses.

But in our experience it’s perfect on its own after a long day with a screaming toddler, sat on the sofa watching Made in Chelsea. And it costs just £3.99! If you need any more convincing, I’ve even converted my parents – who are far more refined than me. Definitely earned its place as one of my top Aldi products.

Top Aldi products. 10 products you must try from Aldi

6. CORALE BAKED BEANS

If you’d told me a year ago that I would no longer be eating Heinz baked beans I wouldn’t have believed you. I’ve been a Heinz lover my whole life but thought I’d give these a go, just on the off chance that they could be good. And they really are. In fact they taste just like Heinz but better – more rich and tasty. Unfair? Perhaps, but come on, they also cost just £1.15 for four cans – that’s £29p per can. Definitely worth a try.

7. APPLEBYS ROAST BRITISH whole CHICKEN

Like so many of the products in Aldi, it took me a while to hunt this one out. I had no idea they did cooked chickens until I found them one day next to the packets of salami and cooked ham – it comes cold so don’t expect to find them smelling delicious in a heated counter.  I love having a cooked chicken in the fridge each week for a quick sandwich filler, salad staple or to throw in my bowl of noodles at dinner. I can’t remember how much these cost but I know it’s less than £4 and they are medium in size and really succulent. Plus the use-by date always seems to be quite generous so I can usually take a week to get through it.

8. SPECIALLY SELECTED SUPER NUTTY GRANOLA

The cereal aisle in Aldi is not one to be missed – full of exciting mueslis, granolas and  replicas of all your familiar favourites (you have to try the own brand Wheatabix and Ready-brek for the kids)…I’ve fallen in love with this super nutty granola from their Specially Selected range which has a combination of Brazil nuts, flaked almonds, macadamias, cashews, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Phew! Breakfast is so much more exciting since I’ve had this in my life. I’m not really one for label checking, so it may not be the healthiest, but there are plenty of super healthy options worth trying too – again, all at great value.

Top Aldi products. 10 products you must try from Aldi

10 products you must try from Aldi

9. Saxon softest 3-ply quilted toilet tissue

Or just the toilet rolls in general – they’re all worth checking out. This one is such good value at £2.99 for 9 rolls and it really is great quality – not at all flimsy. There’s really not much more I can say about toilet roll, just try it.

10. specially selected melt in the middle chocolate puddings

You’ll find these in a pack of two in the refrigerated section next to the yogurts and they really are to die for! I take no responsibility for calorie intake yardy yardy yar, but they taste amazing with a spot of double cream if you’re after a little bit of indulgence. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture as we ate our last night and I can’t remember what they cost, but I’m guessing they’re pretty good value. And even if they aren’t, they’re worth it.

So there you have it, my top Aldi products. I realise that this list is looking rather indulgent – believe me when I say I do buy lots of healthy fruit and veg too (honest!), but I can’t compare an apple with an apple now can I? Other than it will be cheaper of course.

You’re welcome.

Do you shop at Aldi? What are your top Aldi products?

10 Products to buy from Aldi

You Baby Me Mummy
A Cornish Mum
Run Jump Scrap!

1. Laura - dear bear and beany
    June 3, 2016 at 9:42 am

We haven’t had an Aldi in our town for long and I keep meaning to take a trip to see what they have to offer. Reading this it looks like I’ve been missing out. X #TheList
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Tips for Eating out with Kids…My Profile

2. Baby Isabella
    June 3, 2016 at 1:43 pm

We’re massive fans of the nappies and baby wipes from Aldi and we’ve also heard that their meat and veg is great value for money! We just have to travel a little while to get to our local shop. #TheList
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Feeling fine at Funk the Family FestivalMy Profile

3. Emma
    June 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

love Aldi – we have that nutty granola too 🙂 and I love the balsamic and olive oil dressing. def rcmd 🙂 nappies good too! #PicknMix

June 6, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Yes we have the balsamic too, it’s lovely isn’t it. I’m such a fan! 🙂

4. Lizzie firstooth
    June 3, 2016 at 10:33 pm

I do love an Aldi post, I’m a huge fan. The only thing I haven’t tried on your list is the wine, should I?? I have tried their fizz over the christmas period, which was delicious, but I haven’t branched out much from that. Their baby wipes and nappies are brilliant aren’t they, I could kick myself for not using them sooner, the savings alone are fab x #thelist
    Lizzie firstooth recently posted…Flawless Friday June 3rd – A Holiday at HomeMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:44 pm

You should most definitely try the wine! It really is good! We have one of the white ones from there too which is equally as good – and such a bargain! x

5. Laura
    June 4, 2016 at 9:27 am

We love Aldi and use some of these already but will definitely be checking out the rest X #thelist
    Laura recently posted…Six Reasons To Love Working Part TimeMy Profile

6. Becky at PinksCharming
    June 4, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Brilliant list, thanks so much for linking up with #KCACOLS – I keep meaning to go there again, I had a bad experience a few years ago which put me off but I do need to try again! xx
    Becky at PinksCharming recently posted…BOOK REVIEW: ABC of Animals in LondonMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Yeah I think I had a few bad experiences quite a few years ago, but once I started to go regularly I’ve got used to which products I like and also having my shopping literally thrown at me at the checkout – I’m so quick at packing now! 🙂 xx

7. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    June 4, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I love Aldi, I do all our shopping there. The Mamia range is awesome, and their face creams won me over and are saving me a small fortune! x #KCACOLS
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…Win – Tattoo by Landan England + What I Read In MayMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I only recently heard about their face creams and I’m waiting for my current one to run out before I give it a try – it looks great!

8. Amanda
    June 5, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I tend to go between Aldi and Lidl. I do like the Aldi baby wipes, chicken and chocolate! I haven’t tried the chocolate puddings, I will look out for those next time I am in. Thank you.
    Amanda. #kcacols

June 6, 2016 at 5:30 pm

We don’t have a Lidl near to us so I haven’t tried that one yet – I’m sure I’d be a fan!

9. Sarah
    June 5, 2016 at 4:17 pm

SURELY they can’t be as good as Heinz?? I’m not sure I can believe that…I may have to track down an aldi for that alone! #KCACOLS

10. Rebecca | AAUBlog
    June 5, 2016 at 6:16 pm

We don’t have an Aldi super close by, but I do try to get there as much as I can. i think the nappies and wipes are fab and such good value #KCACOLS x
    Rebecca | AAUBlog recently posted…Planning a Trip to Bluestone National Park Resort? My Tips & AdviceMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:31 pm

They really are great aren’t they – at least you can stock up! x

11. Mrs T
    June 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm

keep meaning to pop into aldi especially when they have Thursday deals on thanks for the reminder! #kcacols

12. mainy - myrealfairy
    June 5, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Oh yeah, we are huge fans of aldi, my other half being german wont have it any other way. I’m a bit more inconsistent and sway between there and having a splurge at M&S and waitrose when I want to think I’m treating myself..oh yeah and the kids!;)

mainy
    #kcacols
    mainy – myrealfairy recently posted…The Dimpled Monster Has Struck!My Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I do love M&S food but always find myself gawping when I get the till because I’m so used to Aldi prices now! 🙂

13. Ali Duke
    June 5, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I have never actually been to Aldi, but this list has made me want to go and have a look. Thank you for this.
    #KCACOLS
    Ali Duke recently posted…Bournemouth Wheels Festival 2016My Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:22 pm

You should definitely check it out if you have one nearby x

14. Yummyblogger
    June 6, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Handy post… I’m still in the Tesco home delivery zone! But I do pop to Aldi’s on their baby/toddler event days to stock up on bargains… Next time I go I will try and remember to try the steak 🙂 thanks for sharing! Xx #KCACOLS
    Yummyblogger recently posted…Hospital bags for labour are packed: checklist and tips My Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I think I always miss the baby/toddler events, I need to definitely look out for those! The steak is a must x

15. becca farrelly
    June 6, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Great items! We very occasionally shop at aldi as there is one not too far away but Tesco is nearer so that’s our main shop. I have had the nappies and olive oil both of which were great but haven’t tried the wipes or wine so will have to look out for those! We had a bad experience with mince once from there so it put me off a bit but I would go again 🙂

#KCACOLS
    becca farrelly recently posted…Weight Loss Post #9My Profile

June 6, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Oh no a bad mince experience doesn’t sound good! We have the 5% fat mince from there now and that’s really good too now. You should definitely try the wet wipes, they really are good! 🙂 x

16. Rebecca
    June 6, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I was SOOOOO excited to read this post!!! I am a MASSIVE Aldi fan!! I think I really bore people with it but it is SO good and such good value. Great post! I haven’t tried their rump steak yet so off to try this this week! 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Rebecca recently posted…Families are…My Profile

17. Azaria
    June 6, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I have tried the muesli and a few other bits like the nappies- although we have gone back to Tesco ones. We have a bottle of fig balsamic vinegar and it is amazing! Will need to check out the other things you mention.

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

Azaria- Being Mrs Lynch
    Azaria recently posted…Fitness Friday: Tone It Up Bikini Series Week 6My Profile

18. Sarah
    June 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I have always been hesitant to try the Aldi’s near our house but I will have to try these things out. Especially the baby stuff. Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS

19. Cal at Family Makes
    June 6, 2016 at 10:52 pm

It’s good to have some recommendations when the brands are less familiar. I really like the fruit and veg at Aldi, it’s always very fresh and a great price too. #KCACOLS

20. MouseMooMeToo
    June 8, 2016 at 7:10 am

I think we’ve tried all of these except the chocolate puds, which I’ll be actively seeking out! Love the wipes and the washing up liquid. And the beans. Still love waitrose a bit too much though *sad face*.
    MouseMooMeToo recently posted…#7: Twitter Special – #My5FavesMy Profile

21. Sarah
    June 8, 2016 at 7:49 am

We get nappies and wipes, cereals, tins, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and my fave…an oyster bay rip off. I think Marlborough Bay sauv blanc (when I’m not pregnant!) We don’t go as often as we did but still love the essentials. Great post and thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x
    Sarah recently posted…Best and Worst Week #53My Profile

22. Mary Smith
    June 8, 2016 at 11:35 am

We flit between Aldi and Lidl and rarely the “big supermarkets” now. I love them both for different reasons, but agree Aldi is sooo bargainous and had lovely stuff. Nappies and wipes are GREAT as is all the food you mention. And where else can you do a weekly shop with fresh flowers and 2 birthday cakes for £50??? I go nuts everytime they tell me how much my shopping is because I feel like I have spent a bomb but never do haha x #bestandworst
    Mary Smith recently posted…Megan Turns 4My Profile

June 9, 2016 at 10:54 pm

We don’t have a Lidl near us but I’m sure I would be checking that one out too if we did! I admit that I did get to the till once and spent over £100 and almost fainted! ha x

23. Allyson Greene
    June 9, 2016 at 7:34 am

We have Aldis here in the US too, in fact I was there today. I love their weekly random specials on non-foods. And we always buy our olive oil there, as well as our specialty cheeses because they are so much cheaper. I like to check the freezer case for specials too, last week we got hams for 10 cents a pound! #KCACOLS
    Allyson Greene recently posted…Bacon Apple Cheddar Grilled CheeseMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Ooh it sounds just as good over there! We also have the random specials and you can pick up some great finds x

24. Crummy Mummy
    June 9, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Pleased to see there’s wine in there! #KCACOLS
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…How to survive the first six months of motherhoodMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Haha of course! 🙂

25. mummy and monkeys
    June 9, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I love Aldi, the annoying thing is now that we have moved the nearest one is almost half an hour away! I still make the trip sometimes though. next time I will grab that wine. Thanks for linking to #PicknMix

June 9, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I think I would get withdrawal symptoms if I didn’t go every week! I think it will definitely be a prerequisite when we eventually move house! ha x

26. Bridie By The Sea
    June 9, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Ooh so many things to try! I am a MASSIVE fan of Aldi and pretty much shop there exclusively now, after years of flitting between Asda and Sainsbury’s. It’s just better quality all round in my opinion – the meat in particular is much better. And nappies/wipes, wow you are so right – I always got mine from Aldi and never tried Pampers really, but can’t imagine spending that much when you don’t need to. Can’t wait to try some of these soon (right behind you with the Magnum washing up liquid – it’s brilliant!) #KCACOLS
    Bridie By The Sea recently posted…Time For Your Own Room NowMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 10:43 pm

You sound like your (almost) as big a fan as me! Ha! The nappies really are fab aren’t they – I go there for a ‘trip out’ far too often! x

27. tracey bowden
    June 9, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Huge Aldi fan and I agree with half of your list, washing up liquid especially as I haven’t tried the rest myself but my sisters swear by the nappies too. #kcacols
    tracey bowden recently posted…Fiction: The LightMy Profile

28. A Cornish Mum
    June 9, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I like Aldi, I just wish our local one was a lot bigger as it gets so busy you can hardly move in there a lot of the time! You’ve so made me hungry now 😉

Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix, hopefully see you there again tomorrow.

Stevie x
    A Cornish Mum recently posted…Father’s Day Gift IdeasMy Profile

29. Bread
    June 10, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Aldi nappies. Which is odd cause we don’t even have an Aldi’s here. #kcacols

30. Little Wandering wren
    June 15, 2016 at 7:11 am

Wow that’s a big call better than Heinz, and I believe you!!! In Australia I love their organic range, means you can eat organic without breaking the bank!
    Have a great week