Should we all be ‘more Kanye?’

should we all be more Kanye?

Since taking the plunge to go freelance instead of returning to work full time, I admit that I’ve found it a little more difficult than I anticipated landing new clients and projects. I never expected it to be easy, but neither did I expect to spend 50% of the time I’d dedicated to my freelance work, simply hunting it out. I know that these things take time and (I hope) some time in the not so distant future, I will reap the fruits of my labour. BUT…I still question if I’m missing something here.

should we all be more Kanye?

Image source

I’m going to put it out there – I know that I’m good at what I do. Some of the projects I’ve pitched for would be an absolute doddle to me and I know that as qualifications go, I’m more than qualified. I’m dedicated and conscientious. I work hard to get results. Yet I’ve come across people throughout my career who are ‘doing better’ (I mean that in pure monetary terms) than me, even though they’re less qualified and (what was the title of my post again?) oh yes, just not as good as me (*blush, cringe, shudder…*).

So…am I missing something here? Who’s pitching for the same projects as I am?

Despite that last paragraph (!) I am actually rather modest…I’ve always preferred for people to underestimate me and then surprise them, as opposed to disappoint them if i can’t live up to their expectations. It’s the way I’ve always been – quietly confident I guess. Just so…British.

We are all just a little bit modest aren’t we? We’re afraid that being confident and bold will come across as brash and arrogant. We don’t like hyperbole and we pull each other up for exaggerating – it’s just not the done thing, being ‘full of it’ doesn’t come natural to us. We think we’re being dishonest if we say that we’re ‘the greatest’ at something – it would be a lie, of course there will be someone somewhere who’s better. We feel more comfortable downplaying our talents and aren’t very good at saying that we’re bloody brilliant at something.

But really, shouldn’t we all be a little more sure of ourselves? More brash? More Kanye? Perhaps we’re not ‘the greatest’ at what we do, but if we don’t believe that, then nobody else will.

So back to my freelancing, perhaps I’m not putting myself out there enough. Not shouting loud enough. Not ‘bigging myself up’ enough.

Here’s to being (a little) more Kanye.

Run Jump Scrap!

1. MouseMooMeToo
    June 8, 2016 at 6:59 am

Argh there’s such a fine line isn’t there between coming across as conceited, and underselling yourself or being a pushover and always being leapfrogged by others who have bigger balls than you. I’m in the latter camp too – time to turn things around I think!

June 9, 2016 at 10:56 pm

There really is such a fine line isn’t there – here’s to having bigger balls! 🙂 x

2. helen gandy
    June 9, 2016 at 8:40 am

I am totally going to use the phrase ‘be more kanye’ in my day to day life haha, love it. I do agree that I think we should be more confident and sure of ourselves at times, I’m one for really doubting myself when actually I know my stuff! Great post and thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst I’m off to be more kanye……bye!! 😉
    helen gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #53My Profile

June 9, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Thanks hun, I think we could all do with a little more confidence in our own abilities sometimes 🙂 x

3. Morgan Prince
    June 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I am SO like that too. I hate to “big myself up” or “show off” and can’t stand it in other people either, usually because when others do it I’m always disappointed by results! You’re right though, we really should be more confident and able to sell ourselves. I hope you manage to be a little more “Kanye” in the future. xx
    #bestandworst

4. Lizzie firstooth
    June 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I love a good Kanye rant! Or rave… about himself. I think we sometimes subtly big ourselves up without being as bold to say “I’m bloody good at this by the way” instead we hint at our talents without forcing them on to someone. It’s good and it’s bad, nobody likes a brag but I also get a little peeved when someone really undersells themselves when I know, and they know, they’re much better than they make themselves sound. Well, here’s to being a little more bold about our talents! Definitely keep pushing yourselves on these companies for work, talent is worth it weight in gold and you have plenty of it. I always think of the saying ‘he who shouts loudest’ in business, because the loudest and proudest always gets seen to first x #bestandworst
    Lizzie firstooth recently posted…Lost My Name: The Sweetest Book Every Child Must HaveMy Profile

5. Sarah - Arthurwears
    June 11, 2016 at 10:24 pm

What are you freelancing as?

I can relate to what you’ve written – I’m no good at blowing my own trumpet. I’ve often been in situations at work where I’ve just ‘hoped’ I’ll be recognised for my abilities etc and then been disappointed when someone less qualified has been put ahead of me. If no one else is shouting about my talents though then I guess I’d better start the ball rolling! #KCACOLS
    Sarah – Arthurwears recently posted…Children Changing Careers p6: Karen from Two Tiny HandsMy Profile

6. Nicky Kentisbeer
    June 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm

The you must bring out your inner Kanye! Of course, none of us do and we hold back all the time while someone else walks up and takes the trophy. Often our conditioning I guess. So very British as you say. Unfortunately, holding back doesn’t tend to deliver and it’s so frustrating when you wish you’d make a move and someone else does it. Go embrace Kanye! Great post. Thanks for linking up to #KCACOLS and hope you can join us next Sunday. Nicky x
    Nicky Kentisbeer recently posted…It’s Up To You in New York!My Profile

7. sarah
    June 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I think you – like me – have got the double edged sword of being British, therefore naturally unassuming and modest, and ALSO women, whereby we are expected and conditioned not to show off or ‘brag’. It really isn’t the same for the boys, it’s why they end up getting paid more! You’re awesome, so don’t be worried about saying so! 🙂 #KCACOLS
    sarah recently posted…Sneaky Veg SauceMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

Aw thanks hun x

8. Becky @ Educating Roversi
    June 12, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I think if everyone was a little more confident in their own abilities, we would thrive more. We hold ourselves back. #kCACOLS

9. Hayley McLean
    June 13, 2016 at 12:58 am

Brilliantly put! And so very true. I find myself quietly thinking those things – “Why did that person get that job and I didn’t…I KNOW I’m better than them!” – but to actually say those things out loud?! I shudder! I even question whether to admit to even thinking them here on this comment!! Its ridiculous really. Why shouldn’t we be our own hypemen?! Never did I think I’d say this…but hell yes I want to be more Kanye!!!! #KCACOLS
    Hayley McLean recently posted…That’s Not My Ipad…My Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:37 am

Haha, who would’ve thought?! I’m really not a fan of him to be honest, but would like some of his confidence!! It must be pretty nice to think you really are so great! x

10. themotherhubblog
    June 14, 2016 at 11:33 am

Totally agree with Sarah @ Mumzilla upthread, its a girl thing. Men are much more able to do this. I’m new to blogging but have surprised myself at some of the posts Ive written – Im really pleased with them and what to tell everyone how good i think they are – but I dont want to be seen as arrogant or boasting. Lets all be Kanye! #kcacols

11. Yummyblogger
    June 15, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Totes agree with a couple of the other comments that it’s a gender thing. Men can be like Kanye all the time but if a woman tries we’re ‘over confident’ etc. I really enjoyed reading Sheryl Sandberg’s ‘lean in’ book for this type of stuff, she makes some good points! I’ve always been one for a bit of a self-promotion in the workplace and as I’ve said to people who work for me ‘if you don’t PR yourself, who else will?!’ (Karren Brady says something similar… Another good read!) #KCACOLS
    Yummyblogger recently posted…EU referendum: Why I won’t vote to leave the EUMy Profile

June 17, 2016 at 10:47 am

Ooh I really need to read those books – love a bit of Karren Brady!

12. Mommy's Little Princesses
    June 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

This post has some great points! I too could do with being a little More Kanye lol.xx #KCACOLS
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Living Arrows 24/52My Profile

13. Sam
    June 17, 2016 at 10:28 am

Some great points, it’s really not the done thing to appear over confident. Definitely a gender thing too. We shouldn’t be afraid to be a little more vocal about how fabulous we are! #KCACOLS

14. My Petit Canard
    June 17, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I love that! Not a huge fan of Kanye but I do get and love that saying. Unfortunately its true, in my experience its the people that put themselves out there, promote themselves a bit, get in front of the right people and generally are a bit Kanye that get ahead and do well. In the last two years I’ve realised it doesnt always come down to talent, most of the time it comes down to talking the talk to open the right doors. So im sure being a little kayne never hurt anyone 😉 Emily #KCACOLS

15. Clare
    June 18, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I love this, and completely get it! When I was writing the descriptions for my products or writing posts putting my services out there, I was so worried that I was ‘bigging myself up too much, and on reflection probably ended up downplaying what I can do! It is definitely worth being a bit more ‘Kanye’. Self worth is where it all starts after all! #KCACOLS
    Clare recently posted…Fathers Day Cards with PostSnapMy Profile

16. […] wrote a post recently about the need for all of us to ‘be more Kanye‘ – to believe that we are bloody great at what we do and not to shy away from thinking […]

17. Paige
    August 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm

OK, I love your dance between having bigger balls, and wanting to stay modest. But here’s the thing, and I think you said it before, if you don’t sell yourself loud and proud, then who will. Maybe a client you surprised will, but maybe not. We hope people live by honest principles and share the good you spread, but the truth goes back to that old saying, “If you don’t toot your own horn, no one will.” I’ve always found it a curious thing how confident women can be perceived as brash, whereas confident men are considered successful. It’s that glass ceiling, that no matter how media portrays it, it is *still* an underlying problem in the work arena. When I was a tech administrator in a school, I was told I was a complainer. The reality was, and my principal finally admitted this later, I was telling them all what no one wanted to hear – I was confident enough to point out the problem, tell involved parties how they were part of the problem, and how they needed to fix it. Yet, I was labeled a complainer. There were 3 females on this admin team and 3 males – the other 2 females would roll over and do whatever kept things status quo. I finally snapped in a meeting, and said, “Did you hire me to keep you in the 20th century, or take you into the 21st? I didn’t realize in 2013, you were interested in functioning like it was 1995.” Silence. “Then I need your support to make change, and you’re either going to help me, or this will become your fight.” I guess I have big balls lol Thanks for the post!