Do you reply to every comment on your blog?

replying to comments on my blog

The biggest surprise to me when I started blogging back in December 2014, was the realisation that I’d be spending a lot more time reading than I would writing. I think when we all first set up a blog we consider the writing aspect (what will I write about? What will my writing style be? Will people be interested in my posts?), but we don’t realise that there’s a whole online community that we’re about to (hopefully) become a part of.

replying to comments on my blog

The blogging community and the support within it is most definitely my favourite part of blogging. I love reading about similar experiences and taking inspiration from other posts. I love joining in with linkies – they’re a great way of discovering new blogs and keeping up with my favourites. And I love reading the comments on my own blog posts and have always been a firm believer in replying to those who have taken the time to read and comment on them.

But lately I’ve started to assess where I’m spending most of my time online and where I need to focus in order to grow my blog. I find that recently I’m spending so much time attending to my ‘blogging duties’ of commenting that I hardly have enough time to write. Don’t get me wrong, I am a complete advocate of supporting other bloggers and will always leave a worthwhile comment on any post I’ve read, but let me ask you this…do you really care if I reply to your comment on my own blog? Do you even read it? I use the Comment Reply Notification plugin, so I know that you get an email telling you what I said in my reply – but would you notice if you didn’t?

I know that I comment on at least 30 posts every week (I know many of you read and comment on so many more – as I’ve said before, I’m a slow reader!) but I most definitely don’t get 30 emails telling me that you’ve replied to me – and as much as I love your blog, I don’t revisit the post to check if you have replied. Personally I don’t care if you haven’t – I left it there for you to read and let you know how much I enjoyed your post, I don’t expect anything else from you. But you probably did reply, because that’s blogging etiquette right?

So why do we all get so hung up on this?

As You Baby Me Mummy points out in her post 10 Blogging Myths You Should Ignore Immediately, there are better ways we could use our time and support each other – such as sharing each other’s posts on Twitter or a shout out on Facebook. If someone comments a lot on your blog, go and give their blog some love too. Replying to comments on our own blogs doesn’t drive traffic to any of us.

Don’t mistake this post as me not appreciating your comments – I absolutely love reading every single one of them, and I’m a huge believer in linkies and sharing the comment love which is what makes this community so great. And I’ll definitely still be responding to comments when I get chance, but I’m not going to stress when I have a backlog going back two (okay three) weeks. I’m not going to sit on the sofa next to my husband writing a load of replies on my own blog which will probably never even get read.

Instead I’ll be tweeting your post, or commenting over on your post, or writing that post I’ve been really wanting to write for the past two weeks but haven’t gotten around to.

What do you think? Do you respond to all comments on your own blog? Leave a comment below – I will most likely reply #bloggerguilt!

1. NewMummyBlog
    June 10, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I completely agree and made the same decision. I couldn’t keep up, write, run #thebabyformula and do linkies and be mummy and wife! I do reply to some comments and am going to go and get that plug in you have as I do like receiving a little email saying there is a reply on yours (and others), and I’ll pop over to read the reply to my comment. I think that’s really important especially if the commenter has asked a question or just wonder what the reply is (opposed to a generic comment). I agree sharing a post is more beneficial to community and both bloggers, but comment replies might get another blog post view for you if the commenter clicks on your email link. In saying that I won’t be replying to all comments, otherwise I’d never blog! I don’t know how some people do it. I do find some weeks I hardly write and really get a bit down about it x
    NewMummyBlog recently posted…SkyBaby Travel Mattress ReviewMy Profile

June 18, 2016 at 11:17 pm

I think in an ideal world we would all reply to every single comment, but there really are only so many ours in the day – especially as you say when you’re trying to be mummy and wife too. I honestly don’t know how you run a linky too! I think it’s important to enjoy blogging and everything that comes with it – but not let ‘blogmin’ get us down – that’s when I know I’m trying to do too much! xx
      Mum in Brum recently posted…6 things to do with your husband on the evening (other than watch TV)My Profile

2. Coral
    June 10, 2016 at 10:33 pm

As a new blogger, I have enjoyed receiving the odd reply to a comment (just to have a bit of two-way conv with my faves!) but on the whole, I definitely appreciate a RT on Twitter &/or a comment on one of my posts more. Being a Mum is busy enough, without us putting extra pressure on each other to reply all the time. Well said!x
    Coral recently posted…5 children’s books you need to readMy Profile

3. Helen
    June 11, 2016 at 8:02 am

Interesting post – I agree. I absolutely love receiving comments on my blog posts, so I try to comment on as many other posts I can a week. Some weeks it will be more, others it’ll be less. However, unless someone has left a really long, detailed comment or has asked a question I will rarely reply to comments people have left on my blog. This is because, like you say, I don’t go back to check if anyone has replied to my comments so I figured others wouldn’t either. I really hope I never offend anyone by not replying, that’s never my intention. It’s all to do with time – I’d prefer to retweet someone’s blog post, comment on other’s blogs etc.

Helen x

4. Natalie Mott
    June 11, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I don’t get that many comments on my blog so I can handle reading the replies and commenting back. I guess if you get continuous comments, it must get a bit much. I think it’s nice to aknowlegde that you have seen and appreciate people taking time out of their day to comment.

5. Shane O'Connor
    June 11, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Hi Natalie
    Interesting post, but i’m not sure i completely agree. I think if you’ve gone to the effort of creating a post then you should really should check reader feedback on it. I know personally that if i see the post author replying to comments i feel more engaged with the site, call it the personal touch i guess but i think it’s nice. I’m also far more likely to share the post on social media platforms if i know the author is engaged and interested in the responses they have received. Anyhow you must be doing something right as i enjoyed the post and commented!

6. the frenchie mummy
    June 11, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Fair comment here. I am just starting blogging and I am surprised how little I manage to actually write. Sometimes, I click like on a comment to make the point that I read it and because there is not much to reply really #KCACOLS

7. Beta Mummy
    June 11, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I’ve just been having this very debate! I personally don’t expect a reply to my comments on peoples’ blogs – I assume that they appreciate the comment, but don’t need them to tell me 🙂
    Like you I often feel like I spend far too much time on blogmin, and not enough on actual writing. I don’t get much time for either at the moment, so really would rather get some actual posts written!
    #KCACOLS
    p.s. you’ll reply to this comment though, right?! 😉

8. Petite Pudding
    June 12, 2016 at 7:23 am

I was only chatting about this with my blogger pals last night, having spent the evening trying to clear some of the backlog of comments. Like you I read and appreciate every single one, but I do get really bogged down in trying to respond to them all and as you say does anyway one read my response? Food for thought, thanks for sharing #kcacols
    Petite Pudding recently posted…Mummy TagMy Profile

9. Yummyblogger
    June 12, 2016 at 7:52 am

Really interesting topic… I’ve always tried to reply to all my comments but I’m never sure why as I know most people (unless they’re WordPress.com too) will not see my reply! I think you’ve inspired me to be a bit more selective now and only reply when it warrants a reply! Like you said there’s better ways to use the time like commenting on other blogs xx
    Yummyblogger recently posted…39 weeks pregnant My Profile

10. Crummy Mummy
    June 12, 2016 at 9:02 am

I reply to all comments on my blog because people have taken the time to comment and I feel I should acknowledge that BUT I am currently about 6 weeks behind and I know that at some stage I will have to draw a line! #KCACOLS
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…How to survive the first six months of motherhoodMy Profile

11. Emma
    June 12, 2016 at 9:55 am

I do try and reply to all of the comments on my blog but I do have a back log at the moment but I have found myself wondering whether it is a good use of time. I reply because the person has taken the time to comment and I like having a dialogue but I do wonder if they actually realise that I have replied, I can’t imagine they come back to see that I have replied. Like you say perhaps sharing a post would be more beneficial =. Hmmm, one to think about.

Ps I will be popping back later to see if you have replied 😉 #KCACOLS
    Emma recently posted…Our review of the Britannia Cruise part 2My Profile

12. The Speed Bump
    June 12, 2016 at 9:59 am

I try to reply to comments, but I barely get enough time to write blog posts myself, so while I read and appreciate every comment, sometimes I just don’t get around to replying to every one. #KCACOLS

13. justsayingmum
    June 12, 2016 at 10:08 am

Hmm I’m going to stick myself out here and say that I comment on every comment made on my blog and actually have to admit that I don’t love it if someone doesn’t reply to a comment I’ve made – but that’s my own setting of blogging etiquette – I admit that the reading takes over and the commenting sometimes but I always take the time to reply to someone who has taken the time to read and comment on my blog but I accept that I may be in the minority here! I look forward to the responses you get as will be interesting to see how others feel too xx #KCACOLS
    justsayingmum recently posted…Operation Skinny JeanMy Profile

14. Sarah - Arthurwears
    June 12, 2016 at 10:56 am

Some, where appropriate but not all. If I have the time I will go back over and reply. Blogger doesn’t send out notifications though so if it’s a reply I would want that person to see I will tweet them a link and say I’ve replied (if they’ve left their Twitter handle). It is nice to have a reply though, if you’ve obviously taken time to write a thoughtful reply then it forms part of a conversation. A nice idea is to reply with a blog post which includes a back link – if the comment is really worthy! #KCACOLS
    Sarah – Arthurwears recently posted…Children Changing Careers p6: Karen from Two Tiny HandsMy Profile

15. Lucy
    June 12, 2016 at 11:25 am

I dont get too many comments yet so I do tend to reply if i have something to reply with, but if the chat has come to a natural end point I dont.
    #KCACOLS

16. Bad Dadu
    June 12, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I reply to every comment even though I can see no-one is subscribing to the comment replies. I don’t really know why. It’s a bit like receiving a thank you card for a present and then sending a thank you card back for the thank you card. #KCACOLS

P.S. I don’t expect a reply – and I won’t check anyway!

June 13, 2016 at 9:55 am

I couldn’t resist! I loved the thank you card analogy too much – so true!

17. sarah
    June 12, 2016 at 6:34 pm

You know I’ve never thought of this. I’ve always replied, as I feel bad if I don’t, but I never thought people might not even see my replies…GUYS, GUYS, ARE YOU READING MY REPLIES?! 😀 #KCACOLS

18. Katie/Squirmy Popple
    June 12, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I used to reply to each comment, but found it too time-consuming so I stopped. I agree that a frequent commenter would rather me comment on their blog or share one of their posts on Twitter than reply to their comment. #KCACOLS
    Katie/Squirmy Popple recently posted…Let’s hear it for DaddyMy Profile

19. Life as Mum
    June 12, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Loved reading this post. I for one do not reply to hardly any of my comments. I know most don’t go back to check if I have replied, I don’t if I comment on other posts either. At the moment I do not have the time to go through each comment and reply. #KCACOLS
    Life as Mum recently posted…My Sweet DarlingsMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

I think as long as you take note of who’s giving your blog love so that you can return the favour, there’s better ways to use your time and support each other x

20. Emilie
    June 12, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I’m a new blogger so at the moment I am replying to every single comment because they’re aren’t that many. Hopefully once I’m inundated and completely overwhelmed by all of the blog love I’ll have to re-evaluate my priorities I definitely think the focus needs to be on writing quality content though, without that there is nothing! #KCACOLS
    Emilie recently posted…5 Favourite Things about Getting Home from HolidayMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:49 am

Good luck with your blog Emilie it looks great! I think comments and joining in with linkies is so important for any blogger and really helps to get your posts out there as a new blogger. I’m sure you’ll be inundated in no time! x

21. Becky @ Educating Roversi
    June 12, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I don’t reply to all, but i try to reply to most. You’re right though, a retweet on Twitter or a share on Facebook is probably more beneficial! #KCACOLS

June 13, 2016 at 9:47 am

I do try to reply to most and I’m sure I will continue to (despite this post!) I’m just not going to stress about it if I’ve not had chance x

22. Tall Mum In Manchester
    June 12, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I have been replying to all comments but on reflection you are right, most people don’t head back to see if you have done. I certainly don’t go back to posts that I’ve commented on myself to see if they’ve been read & replied to and I tend not to request emails to follow comment threads as they just clog up my inbox! That being said, I love receiving comments on my posts. Social media shares are even more beneficial & I try to do this when I read posts I really enjoy or that I think will be useful to someone else.

June 13, 2016 at 9:46 am

I think we can all only do what we have time to – so far I’ve been trying to keep up with all of the tasks you mention, but do find it a little overwhelming sometimes. But like you I absolutely love reading comments on my posts and do feel like they deserve a reply – but sometimes I question why! x

23. mummyofboygirltwins
    June 12, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I try to comment on anyone who takes the time to comment on my posts, plus all my usual fave blogs, and any that catch my eye via twitter etc too!! It’s hard work but important as I get a lot out of reading posts and keeping up to date. Definitely think it’s worth it to build up a community and friendships xx
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…June favourites: style & beautyMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:43 am

You’re right that comments definitely are so important to creating a dialogue and friendships. And I also get so much out of reading other posts (and will always comment on other blogs!) I do try to reply to all comments on my own blog, but do feel a little overwhelmed with ‘blogmin’ sometimes and question if it’s the smartest use of time xx

24. Emma Jones
    June 13, 2016 at 8:14 am

Interesting post. I reply to most but definitely don’t check back on other people’s unless I asked a question. I retweet or share is probably more beneficial but in Linky’s comments seem key. #kcacols lifeinthemumslane
    Emma Jones recently posted…Los Zocos Costa Teguise Lanzarote ReviewMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 9:35 am

I completely agree about comments being key with linkies – it’s what makes linky communities so great and I’ve made some brilliant ‘blog friends’ through them. x

25. justsayingmum
    June 13, 2016 at 11:19 am

aww I had to come back to comment as I re read my comment and it seems a bit harsh – that’s not how I meant it to come across at all!! I’m just a bit of a comment returner – anything other than focussing on getting a blog written! Love all the responses – I think what is funny is that I don’t check if people reply on accounts that aren’t wordpress so really I have no idea if people reply to me or not so probably need to not have an opinion on it – have made myself giggle at this point! xx #KCACOLS
    justsayingmum recently posted…Operation Skinny JeanMy Profile

June 13, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Haha – it’s always good to have an opinion!! I have to confess that I’m also a comment returner and despite this post I’m not sure I can help myself always replying! I usually have something to say in reply so could actually go on forever – so it’s a good job people don’t see my replies and reply again otherwise I’d have no time at all!! I’m just so easily distracted and really feel I need to spend more time writing so I have to gain that time from some other ‘blogmin’ task xx

26. Nicky Kentisbeer
    June 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm

You make an interesting point here Natalie and I know there are several schools of thought on this. When I first started blogging I started to write a list and went back to check each blog. That’s a year I’ll never get back! Joking apart, I agree there are better ways of promoting each other. On the one hand I like to reply and in some cases it’s not always necessary – a bit like thanking someone for a thank-you card. My jury is still out on this one as I’ve also gained some useful and interesting insights from my comment section. You have me thinking now. Thank for linking up with #KCACOLS and we hope you can come back on Sunday.
    Nicky Kentisbeer recently posted…It’s Up To You in New York!My Profile

27. Laura
    June 14, 2016 at 5:40 pm

This is a very timely post for me. Until recently I’ve been great at replying to comments but I’ve been so busy the last few weeks that I’ve got behind and it’s been really weighing on my mind. Thank you for easing my conscience 😉 #kcacols
    Laura recently posted…The Price Of Birth TraumaMy Profile

28. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    June 14, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I have always replied to comments on my blog 🙂 Probably because it would feel like a one sided conversation otherwise. I totally agree with Aby — we should definitely promote each other in other ways — but that’s assuming that all comments come from other bloggers. Some of my blog comments come from non-bloggers — and I think they *do* expect a reply. I know that I have sometimes gone back to check if someone has replied… it sometimes makes me not want to bother leaving a comment if they don’t! Each to their own though 🙂 xx
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…How to make a rocketpack — Camp Bestival 2016My Profile

29. Tracey Bowden
    June 14, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I go through phases of replying to comments but sometimes I am too busy. Usually if it’s a fellow blogger I will pop over to leave them a comment (if not from a linky because It would take forever) oa post of theirs and say thanks or just tweet them a reply to their comment of to say thanks for their comment. This is a great post as I know we all really appreciate the comments but can’t really reply to them all all of the time #kcacols
    Tracey Bowden recently posted…Gas Safety for The FamilyMy Profile

30. Sarah@teammomlife
    June 15, 2016 at 12:49 am

I think that this is a tough subject! Personally I’ve been commenting on peoples blogs so much I don’t think I would have the time to check and see if they all replied to me. It’s really hard to keep up with everything when it comes to blogging as I am learning in my first month. I am trying to keep up with replying to everyone’s comments on my blog but because I feel guilty if I don’t. It does seem that the majority of people don’t seem to care very much. Thanks for starting the conversation. #KCACOLS
    Sarah@teammomlife recently posted…#MySundayPhoto June 12thMy Profile

31. Allyson Greene
    June 15, 2016 at 5:41 am

I started out replying to every comment, but I too have started to notice that takes a ton of time and unless that person returns for a great followup conversation what is the point? I have started to pull back on replying to comments a bit, glad I am not crazy for feeling this way #KCACOLS
    Allyson Greene recently posted…Dear Bad Daddy: Thank YouMy Profile

32. Mommy's Little Princesses
    June 15, 2016 at 1:00 pm

This is a very interesting topic and whilst I am currently behind in responding to comments left on my blog post, I always like to respond as it’s the polite thing to do. However I can see where you are coming from. As I often forget to revisit blogs I have already commented on to check for a response. Xx #KCACOLS
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Living Arrows 24/52My Profile

33. Yummyblogger
    June 15, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I left a comment already but just seen you’re on #KCACOLS too so just leaving another comment – hola! Sorry, lol! Xx
    Yummyblogger recently posted…40 weeks pregnant: Due date! My Profile

34. Krissi
    June 15, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I reply to all of them at this point… but its only like a couple haha #KCACOLS

35. thismummylark
    June 15, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I’ve taken a few months off from blogging but keep coming back to read others. My blog got a few comments ( i guess not many people are fortunate to get as many as they like :p) which i always replied to, it’s only polite right? But i can understand people who are fulltime parents/bloggers/working etc find it difficult to juggle everything.
    thismummylark recently posted…Johnsons and Johnsons?!?!My Profile

36. Kerry
    June 16, 2016 at 7:09 am

This was really interesting. As a newish blogger I try and reply to all comments, but I don’t get tons. I do seem to be reading and commenting though more than I spend time writing interesting blog posts, and it gets to the end of the week and I’ve not written anything new and am behind again! #KCACOLS
    Kerry recently posted…Slimming World: Week #1My Profile

37. Cal at Family Makes
    June 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I think you’re right, and I also read Aby’s post about it too. Sure, if someone has asked a question etc then it’s good to reply, but i do find myself writing bland and inane comments, or just ‘thanks’ in order to ensure I’ve written something, which is really a waste of time, isn’t it? Far better to share content or visit and comment on that person’s blog. Thanks for sharing this, hopefully the ‘etiquette’ rules may be changing a little. #KCACOLS
    Cal at Family Makes recently posted…30 Days Wild – Week 2My Profile

June 17, 2016 at 10:42 am

Glad you could relate – it is nice to have a dialogue with your readers but I don’t think we should put too much pressure on ourselves to reply to every comment.

38. My Petit Canard
    June 17, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Completely agree! This has actually been on my mind over the last few weeks, bolstered by Abys post that I also read and now yours. I love getting comments on my blog and enjoy reading them, especially the ones that you can see people have taken the time to write (rather than a generic, great post! type comment), but I’ve noticed that I’m spending a lot of time each week now replying to comments and trying to keep up when actually they may not be read. I know that I dont go back to check if a blogger has replied to a comment that I’ve left so this may not be a good use of time and not somewhere that I actually want to spend lots of time. Like you id love to focus more on writing and growing my blog so I really need to have a think about what I do, but I really like your thoughts around sharing others posts and other things like that which are probably more useful for others in terms of raising awareness of their blogs and posts.. Definitely more food for thought here 🙂 Emily #KCACOLS
    My Petit Canard recently posted…Preparing Toddlers For SiblingsMy Profile

June 18, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Thanks Emily – I agree that there’s nothing better than reading comments that people have taken the time to write and that are thoughtful and offer some useful commentary on your post. I do feel I should reply to these comments (and want to!) but it’s just not always possible and I do think that we should all be a little less hard on ourselves. We are all trying to grow and develop in blogging and there are only so many hours in the day! 🙂 x

39. Lydia C. Lee
    June 19, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I would rather someone commented on my blog in return UNLESS they were actually engaging in an actual discussion. If they’re just agreeing, then there’s no point. If they are disputing or leading the thought further, then worth replying.

40. […] recently wrote about my struggle finding the time to respond to every comment on my blog and questioned whether there are better ways for bloggers to spend their time and create […]

41. Estefania - The Spanish Mom
    September 26, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I’m new to blogging and I do respond to all my comments but I don’t have that many readers so my volume of comments is negligible 🙂
    I do agree with you that sharing via Twitter for example is a better way to support each other in the bloggers community. It’s a better way to spread the posts and help our colleagues get more traffic to their blogs.
    Great post!
    And by the way as soon as I’m done writing this comment I’ll share your post via Twitter 🙂

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:01 pm

And so you did – Thanks for sharing! You’ll soon be inundated with comments on your blog and then you really do have to weigh up where’s best to spend your time. I’ll pop over to your blog shortly x

1. Estefania - The Spanish Mom
        September 27, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Thank you Natalie for visiting my blog! Feedback from other more experienced bloggers like you is always welcomed! I have so much to learn!
        Have a great day!
        Estefania – The Spanish Mom recently posted…Diary of a non-breastfeeding mama – Episode 1My Profile