6 things to do with your husband on the evening (other than watch TV)

things to do with your husband featured

The hubby and I are watching far too much TV lately. Aside from the new season of Game of Thrones, and some other guilty pleasures (*ahem* Made in Chelsea, Love Island…), we’ve also got into Suits on Netflix, so the sofa is never short of a reason to beckon us over on an evening.

In truth, after a long day with a toddler for me, and a long day at work for Mr M, we’re so tired that all we want to do is crash out on the sofa. We used to always eat our dinner in the kitchen, but even that is falling by the wayside at the moment (“Suits?”)…I feel that we need to pull ourselves away from the sofa and spend more time engaging with each other – beyond “Why does Binky and her boyfriend call each other ‘bubba’ so much?” and “Why doesn’t she just set her dragons on everyone?”

things to do with your husband

Granted, when you’re restrained to the confines of your house after 7pm, finding fun things to do is more of a challenge than before we had a child. But here are some simple things I’m planning to try over the summer months which will not only help us spend more quality time together, but will also help us to feel much more productive.

6 things to do with your husband on the evening other than watch TV

1. Decorate a room

As a couple we’ve renovated two houses together and have spent many an evening painting walls whilst listening to 80s ballards (did I just admit to that?), getting slightly tipsy with a bottle of red. Of course those days were ‘before child’ when going to bed after midnight didn’t fill me with dread about an any-time-after-5am-wake-up, but decorating can be good fun with good company. There are a few rooms in our house which I’d like to update with a lick of paint, so I’m 100% planning to rope the hubby into helping me. I may even crack open a bottle of red.

2. Cook a ‘special’ meal

We all know that dining in is the new eating out – well, so I tell myself since eating out for us currently involves an 18 month old throwing food everywhere and trying to stand up on her high chair…We started to have regular Friday night ‘date nights’ earlier this year when one of us would cook a slap-up three course meal (or just get the M&S £10 meal deal with wine…). It was great for spending relaxed, quality time together. With both of us feeling a bit crappy from various nursery illnesses we’ve fallen out of this habit recently, but  we really need to start making the effort again. I’ve also gotten quite lazy with my cooking since becoming a mum and haven’t tried a new recipe in months, so I’m planning to use these evenings to get my cooking mojo back!

hings to do with your husband on an evening

3. Play cards outside

I know this sounds a little old-hat, but on holiday we always take a pack of cards in the absence of a TV or our phones to entertain us. Now that it’s summer, there really is no excuse to not get out in the garden and bring out your inner competitor over a game of cards (cold beer in hand perhaps?)

4. do some gardening

Gardening has always been something of a chore to us. Mainly because we think we don’t have time to keep on top of it and our gardening usually consists of us (the hubby) mowing the lawn begrudgingly at the weekend. However, recently my parents came to give me a hand with cutting some borders and we went to buy some flowers from the local garden centre. I even planted a vegetable patch, and now I’m something of a fan. We still have lots to do out there and could really use our evenings better to get it sorted – it’s a fact that gardening is good for your mind and body, so we better get to it!

5. enjoy a relaxing bath

My baths these days usually have a toddler in them – either splashing water in my face or trying to pull at my nipples (these belong to me again thank you very much!) But I really do miss having a long relaxing soak with the hubby and putting the world to rights. If you’re not up for sharing your baths full stop, take it in turns and just catch up on your day together – anywhere other than on the sofa!

6. Work out together

My relationship with my husband is luckily better than my one with exercise. Me and exercise have had an on-off relationship for years. I’ve had countless gym memberships throughout my life, but unfortunately I always get bored in the end and can always find something better to do! This is even despite the fact that we have quite a lot of exercise equipment in our house (bought during one of those times when I was feeling all enthusiastic about getting super fit!)

I enjoy exercising with others so much more, and with the lighter evenings and a few trips away planned, I’m feeling more motivated to start working out again. The hubby has been saying he needs to start exercising again for the past 12 months – so I really think we need to stop talking about it and start actually doing it! I’m off to make yet another ‘work out’ playlist on Spotify…

What about you? Do you feel you watch too much TV? What other things do you do for fun on the evenings?

6 ACTIVITIES TO DO WITH YOUR HUSBAND

1. Amanda
    June 19, 2016 at 1:45 pm

My Hubby and I have started exercising together, we go walking. It is so easy just to get caught up and watch tv together, though if you enjoy the same programmes then some tv together time is good, but its easy to communicate less that way. Some great ideas, especially now the summer is here, gardening and cards outside will be nice.
    Amanda. #kcacols
    Amanda recently posted…Book Review: Devils Demise by Lee Cockburn. #BlogivalMy Profile

2. the frenchie mummy
    June 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm

It’s so easy to forget to so things together because of the kids. Great idea to post this piece #KCACOLS
    the frenchie mummy recently posted…5 Reasons to be excited for the Euro Cup 2016My Profile

3. Maria
    June 19, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Ahhh I remember copious nights decorating when we moved into our house 10 years ago – seems like such a long time ago now! Some great ideas here to spend time with your partner. We are the same – we either spend evenings on the couch watching random TV or with me blogging and Mr H on the PS4!! We also have a love/hate relationship with exercise and really need to start again!

Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again next week. xx
    Maria recently posted…How to remove nail polish from carpetMy Profile

4. laughing mum
    June 19, 2016 at 11:05 pm

we watch SO much tv in the evenings its ridiculous (I actually cringe every time Binky and JP refer to each other as ‘bubba’ especially in the latest episode where they were breaking up lol) we could absolutely do with doing something else.. I like the idea of sitting outside playing cards or something (when it stops bloody raining!) cute ideas,… definitely made me think about our wasted evenings on the sofa #kcacols

5. justsayingmum
    June 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Oh this was lovely to read. So important to spend time as a couple away from the TV – we sit most evenings (with a glass of wine shhhh) and chat about our days away from the TV – it’s one of my favourite times of the day. I love your idea of cards outside though! We take the cards when we go sailing (I know you have started sailing too!) and it’s fab to play up on deck (no pun intended!). Great read – love the picture – ha ha #KCACOLS
    justsayingmum recently posted…Raising My GirlsMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 11:51 am

Ah yes we had an evening of cards up in the cockpit last night! With the canopy overhead of course!! 😂

6. Cal at Family Makes
    June 20, 2016 at 6:59 pm

These are nice ideas, and even if they don’t work for certain couples, it is good to remind us to at least do something together. #KCACOLS
    Cal at Family Makes recently posted…Caption This!My Profile

7. Emma
    June 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm

ah right now it is just blogging (for me) and xboxing (for him). love the idea of a date night. we always eat earlier now with little man and it isn’t always relaxing #KCACOLS

8. Claire at Tin Box Traveller
    June 23, 2016 at 6:56 pm

TV isn’t our evening vice, blogging and online gaming is what’s usually happening here in the Tin Box House. I do hope we can get out in the garden a bit more during the summer evenings! #KCACOLS

9. Alison (MadHouseMum)
    June 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Some great ideas. I really love partner and my dog walks together every morning. It’s such a good time to chat. It really is so important to make time together. We work together too, so it’s important to switch off. Alison x #KCACOLS

10. Emilie
    June 26, 2016 at 1:22 pm

We too spend so much time sitting watching TV and not actually talking to each other much! Sometimes we get into bed at night and I realise I haven’t even really looked at him all day!! I try and make sure we go for one early night a week where we take a bath (separately, I’m 5’11 and he’s 6’1, there’s no way we’re sharing :-p) and then have a chat in bed for a while. Makes such a difference! #KCACOLS
    Emilie recently posted…First Family Holiday – Part 2My Profile

11. Madeline (This Glorious Life)
    June 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Our evenings are normally spent working, so I really loved reading this and getting some inspiration for actually spending proper time together some evenings! It might be time to bring out the deck of cards soon I think! x #KCACOLS

July 1, 2016 at 11:26 am

I really don’t think you can beat a good old fashioned game of cards!X

12. disasters of a thirtysomething
    July 1, 2016 at 11:54 am

I’m guilty of this too so thanks for the lovely tips!

13. jen
    July 2, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Awesome list, love this. my husband and and I work out together. 🙂 #KCACOLS
    jen recently posted…Confused About Why I Blog? Get Your AnswerMy Profile

July 8, 2016 at 8:07 am

We really need to start doing that again! X

14. The Hippy Christian Mum
    July 28, 2016 at 9:01 am

Love this! Some great ideas. We too just slouch on the sofa most evenings. I like how all the things on this list are really simple so not much of an effort to do = more likely to do it and can be done with kids upstairs in bed i e. No babysitter needed. Think I might show this to hubby later. Thanks 😉 #KCACOLS