Prettifying our living room with pink

pink living room update

I would describe my taste in interiors as quite masculine (not to stereotype or anything…) but I tend to go for more neutral colour schemes (stones, greys, whites) and don’t like anything too ‘fancy’. Don’t get me wrong, I love a feature wall, bold patterns and interesting pieces, but floral patterns and twee accessories aren’t really my thing – I like clean lines, earthy accents and accessories that own their place in our home and will stand the test of time.

But I have developed a bit of a fondness for pink in recent years, incorporating it into our bedroom makeover last year, and this week I began my quest to update our living room with pink accessories and a lick of blush paint on the chimney breast.

pink fireplace and feature wall in living room

When we first moved into our current home (a 1970s bungalow), one of the first things we did was rip out the dated gas fire place and wooden surround and install a log burner with an oak mantel. It was one of the best decisions we made and I love it, but I’ve been meaning to paint the chimney breast a different colour and make more of a feature of it ever since.

I chose a very subtle blush paint (Dulux Soft Stone) which I think goes really well with the shade we have throughout the rest of the living room (and most of our house) which is the Dulux Egyptian Cotton. I must be mad as I decided to start painting one day when Taylor was at home with me. You know how it is, you start thinking you’ll just do the cutting in and the next minute you’re going up and down with the roller like a possessed woman on a mission. Or is that just me? Luckily, she likes her food so I was able to distract her with some bread sticks and a bit of Mr Maker…

Painting done and I was able to get on with the fun bit of adding new accessories to complete the look. I’ve been picking up items over the last couple of weeks on various trips out and yesterday I completed my splurge at Dunhelm Mill.

Pink accessories in living room

I love hurricane vases and we’re building up quite a collection now! But I just think they make a room so homely and you can add a pop of colour with the candles you buy. This one is from Dunhelm Mill and really fits in with some of the decor we already had in the room – such as the LOVE sign which is from Wilko and makes such a great feature.

No room update is complete without some new scatter cushions (I can hear the hubby grumbling in my ear as I type “what, more cushions?!”) But really, you can never have too many! I picked up the pink ones from B&Q and the chevron one from Wayfair.

adding pink into living roomIMG_2768living room decor

We’ve had this oak chest in the living room (another Ebay purchase) for ages, but haven’t really found a purpose for it. Now that Taylor’s getting a little older, I’m trying to reintroduce some decor at floor level with the hope that she’ll understand she’s not allowed to touch it (and more to the point, actually listen!) So I’ve dressed up the chest and made another feature area for the room – fingers crossed it can remain!

accessories for a pink living room accessories for a pink living room

Shop the look

Fireplace:

‘Love’ wire decor sign – £10 Wilko

Pewter metal lantern – £19.99 Dunhelm Mill

Pink pomegranate candle – £3.99

Twine wrapped hanging heart – £3.99

Oak Chest:

Glitter Palm Bundle – £4.99, Grey Frosted Vase £24.99, bicycle wire ornament £4.00, Wire Magazine Rack – £7.99 – All Dunhelm Mill

Pink frosted hurricane vase – HomeSense

Sofa and shelving

Coral chevron cushion – Wayfair £45.99

Coral cushion – B&Q £9

Faux plant in blush pink pot – HomeSense

And here’s how the fireplace looked before – much less pretty!

mantel piece

What do you think? Would you go for a pink living room?

Disclosure: I was sent vouchers for Dunhelm Mill from Ocean Loans to take part in their Dream Rooms project

PINK AND GREY LIVING ROOM COLOUR SCHEME

Home Etc

1. Sarah
    July 10, 2016 at 7:48 am

Oh it looks lovely! We have very similar taste, but I would have gone either for a very pale duck egg or mint green. I am really itching to get into our own place now so I can redecorate to my hearts content. Renting sucks! #KCACOLS

July 12, 2016 at 11:11 am

I do love duck egg too and we have some of it going on in that room. I rented for years and really wanted to decorate – it’s such a pain! x

2. charlotte
    July 10, 2016 at 7:57 am

Your fireplace is lovely, the colour is subtle and elegant, those cushions are beautiful #KCACOLS
    charlotte recently posted…My Sunday Photo #5My Profile

July 12, 2016 at 11:09 am

Thanks so much, I’m really liking the change so far x

3. Emma
    July 10, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Oh I love your fireplace and the colour is lovely too 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Emma recently posted…Review of The HoxtonMy Profile

July 12, 2016 at 11:09 am

Thanks lovely x

4. The Pramshed
    July 10, 2016 at 8:29 pm

This is lovely, and looks so homely and inviting. You can never go wrong with too many scatter cushions, I always go a bit made in the John Lewis and Habitat sale for cushions. PS. I love your front door. Claire x #KCACOLS

July 12, 2016 at 11:07 am

Thanks Claire! I do have such a habit of buying cushions, we have so many in our loft! The Habitat cushions are so nice. xx

5. Emma Plus Three
    July 10, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Ah it looks amazing! We’re in the process of redecorating our living room at the moment x #KCACOLS

July 12, 2016 at 11:06 am

Thanks! And good luck with yours! x

6. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    July 11, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Love the subtlety of the pink – it’s such a lovely and calming space. I have a bit of a cushion buying problem – I’ve been temporarily banned from buying any more! #KCACOLS
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…Living Arrows 28/52My Profile

July 12, 2016 at 11:04 am

Haha I’ve been banned from buying cushions for ages now, I have to buy them in secret! x

7. New Mummy Blog
    July 12, 2016 at 7:37 am

I think it all looks lovely, homely and so cosy. I do just love your fireplace, and with the accessories and subtle pink it really is gorgeous. X
    New Mummy Blog recently posted…FUN SURVEY: Is this Ancient Chinese Gender Predictor Chart correct for you?My Profile

July 12, 2016 at 11:02 am

Thanks so much hun, the fireplace was definitely a worthwhile investment! xx

8. the frenchie mummy
    July 12, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Your house looks well tidier than mine! Lovely colours. I really like it #KCACOLS
    the frenchie mummy recently posted…Celebrating 2 months bloggingMy Profile

9. Molly
    July 13, 2016 at 10:27 am

Love the pink, it looks very delicate but not too feminine – just perfect! and all the little touches you’ve added bring it all together, looks lovely #HomeEtc
    Molly recently posted…Decorating with Scandi-style PrintsMy Profile

10. Savannah
    July 13, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Oh wow, the pink really brings a nice ‘pop’ into the entire room. I just love the way it catches the light-absolutely gorgeous choice in color. This is such an inviting room-I’d love to be a guest at your home! Thanks for sharing <3 #KCACOLS
    Savannah recently posted…A Little Fake LaughMy Profile

11. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    July 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm

It looks gorgeous! I especially love that frosted hurricane vase, it’s just the right mix of pretty and industrial. 🙂 #KCACOLS
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…Review: Truth and TailsMy Profile

12. Silly Mummy
    July 14, 2016 at 12:48 am

It looks lovely! I’m exactly the same – always do neutrals, but did a subtle blush colour on one wall & love it!

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Toddler Photography (Toddler Lessons: Part Seven)My Profile

13. Kim
    July 14, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I love the subtle pink! Great design! #KCACOLS
    Kim recently posted…I Love Toddler Moments Like ThisMy Profile

14. Stephanie
    July 15, 2016 at 1:06 pm

It does look lovely, but pink’s not a colour I tend to use. I think that’s partly because my parents house is top to toe in pink and I naturally shun it – but maybe one day I’ll overcome that! #homeetc
    Stephanie recently posted…My week this week: DodgeMy Profile

15. Tracey Bowden
    July 15, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I am actually considering adding pink into my living room too. I am loving your lantern and pink candle. I am now envious of how you have styled your living room it looks so comfy and homely #kcacols
    Tracey Bowden recently posted…Another School Disco OutfitMy Profile

16. mummyofboygirltwins
    July 18, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Love your style and all the colours and accessories – it looks so stylish but very homely indeed. Pink is definitely a great colour this year and I love how subtle it is here xx

Thanks for sharing – #HomeEtc xx
    mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…3 Kid-Friendly Home Design IdeasMy Profile

July 20, 2016 at 11:02 am

Thanks Jess I am really liking the Pink so far – it’s made it feel really homely xx

17. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    July 20, 2016 at 10:11 pm

LOVING the pink!!! I’m pretty similar actually — I’m not particularly girly when it comes to decorating but this beautiful blush pink has totally got me in it’s grasp and I’ve used it in our ensuite and, more recently, in our grow up sitting room. LOVE it!!! I’m also the girl with a roller in her hand, at every (in)opportune moment 😉 So sorry for the late comment lovely — am really behind with everything after holiday!! Caro xx #HomeEtc
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Our Mark Warner holiday Perdepera, Sardinia | Part OneMy Profile