10 things on my autumn/winter bucket list

Things to do in autumn and winter

Oh how we love to moan about the long British winters. The rain, the cold, the long nights, the short days…Every year we talk about how we want to emigrate, we want summer back again, we need to go on a relaxing holiday. But this year I’ve decided I’m going to embrace all that the British autumn and winter have to offer.
Fancy joining me? Here’s my autumn/ winter bucket list and all of the reasons why I don’t care that summer’s over…
autumn winter bucket list

Image source

1. Treat myself to a new winter coat

Hands-down my favourite thing about the onset of autumn is the autumn/winter fashion. I just love investing in a new winter coat, a pair of boots, wool mini skirts and knitted jumpers. Shopping the new season at this time of year makes me giddy. I still haven’t really embraced fashion since having Taylor, but I feel like this is the season for some new wardrobe staples and treats for myself for a change.

2. Make time to read a book (or three)

In the 20 months since having Taylor and starting blogging I have read just two books. As a life-long book lover I’m pretty disappointed in myself. I’m looking forward to some nights curled up in front of the fire or in a hot bath getting into a good book this winter.

Winter bucket list ideas

Image source

3. Fully milk my birthday

September is my birthday month and I’m fully intending to celebrate it this year. The last few years have been pretty low-key with being pregnant and having a sleep-thief. So far I have four different celebrations in mind including a date night with the hubs at a favourite restaurant in Birmingham and afternoon tea with friends in Nottingham. Well, why not?

4. Enjoy the scenery and improve my photography

I absolutely love the British scenery in autumn and winter. I’m not talking about the dull, rainy days but the ones with crisp blue skies, multi-coloured trees and meadows glistening with frost. For Christmas last year the hubby bought me a ‘big camera’ and I vowed to get better at photography. In truth I’m still stuck on auto and haven’t spent enough time understanding how to properly use my SLR. I’m planning to take my camera out a lot more often on those beautiful days and hopefully improve my photography skills, as well as being more mindful.

5. Calve pumpkins for Halloween

I’m traditionally a bit of a Halloween bore and haven’t really marked it since those crazy fancy dress parties at university. Last year I was totally unprepared and didn’t even have a Mars bar to hand for the local kids…So this year I really need to do better and get the best sweet stash in town. I’m even going to get crafty with a few pumpkins.

6. Wrap up warm for bonfire night

Last year we missed any firework displays since we had a 10 month old in bed for 7pm. Now that Taylor’s a little older we can get away with keeping her up past bedtime on the odd occassion and I’m determined to venture out this year and go to one of our local events. I love getting all wrapped up and tucking into a toffee apple at the fair – in my new winter coat of course.

7. Post Christmas cards

Most years I buy Christmas cards and they end up in the back of a kitchen draw unposted. As a stay at home mum I really feel like I should take responsibility for keeping age-old traditions like these alive – I really have no excuse.

8. Do all of my Christmas shopping on ‘Black Friday’/ ‘Cyber Monday’

I’m not naturally a super organised person, so always end up getting my Christmas shopping the week before and missing out on all of those great deals. My sister on the other hand is the total opposite and always tells me about  the great bargains she nabbed on Black Friday. I’m planning on being smart like my sister this year and being very organised for a change.

9. Visit the German market

We always visit the Frankfurt Christmas Market in Birmingham every year to have a tipple and get in the Christmas spirit. I love Birmingham at Christmas and will be embracing the crowds, the crystal lamps, fairisle hats, and scented candles (all whilst munching on a German Bratwurst) again this year.

10. Celebrate New Year in Dubai

Okay…so perhaps this is a bit of a cop-out – it’s not celebrating the British winter at all. Instead we will be in the warm Dubai dessert having a barbecue and watching fireworks over the Burj Khalifa. We’re visiting my sister’s family and I’m pretty excited…

What’s on your autumn/ winter bucket list? Do you enjoy autumn/ winter or wish that it could be summer everyday?

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Paige
    September 8, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I love the get better at photography idea – I just bought a 1986, still in box, portrait lens – it’s got that dreamy quality that the new laser cut ones don’t have, well, because they are laser cut. I’m excited to take my daughter’s senior portraits with them and then just have it as an ‘everyday’ lens. I’m an avid reader, so it’s always on my list of things to do! And you are WAY better than me to think about Christmas cards….

2. shaney (imummyblog)
    September 9, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Fellow virgo? happy birthday month! mine was yesterday but it’s not ending until I say so lol I love this list, it’s right up my street. I feel excited about autumn/winter now! #thelist

3. Lydia C. Lee
    September 10, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Sounds like a great list – esp #2. And you know to buy a carving pumpkin not a normal pumpkin. The skin is much softer and it makes the world of difference…#KCACOLS

4. Sunita - Lucky Things blog
    September 10, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Have fun planning your birthday celebrations Natalie! There is something cool about getting out the boots and thick coats. I just hope it doesn’t rain too much! #KCACOLS
    Sunita – Lucky Things blog recently posted…Lucky Things Kids: Off to Willows Activity Farm, St Albans, HertfordshireMy Profile

5. Jane Taylor
    September 11, 2016 at 1:21 am

I love lists, I do! Great list too. So you have friends in Nottingham? I live in Nottingham! Great City! But the shopping in Birmingham is WAY better. Thanks for linking with #KCACOLS
    Jane Taylor recently posted…I’m featured in ‘My Home Rocks’ over at ‘A Residence’ blog.My Profile

6. Kayla Arnold
    September 11, 2016 at 3:58 am

I love winter and Autumn so I’m really sad that it’s ending here in Australia. Luckily I live in the coldest part of Australia so I can still kind of pretend that it’s Autumn/Winter by lighting fun scented candles! Great post! x #KCACOLS

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 12, 2016 at 11:28 am

Aw but you have so much lovely sunshine there! Love the scented candles too – I need to get some! X

7. natalie
    September 11, 2016 at 8:01 am

I like Autumn and I don’t mind the beginning of Winter (ie Christmas!) . I too am planning to make the most of it this year I actually feel a little excited. OH an I have a little extra special delivery this Winter! #thelist #kcacols

8. Laura @ Mama, Eden & Me
    September 11, 2016 at 6:22 pm

I’ve always wanted to carve a pumpkin – maybe I’ll do that this year! Also the scenery is awesome this time of year. Best of luck ticking off your list 🙂 #KCACOLS

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 12, 2016 at 11:24 am

Thanks Laura! I’ve already ticked off the winter coat! 🙂

9. Claire
    September 11, 2016 at 10:33 pm

What a great idea for a post! I love this time of year too and since it’s my first Autumn as a mum I’m going to try and make the most of it too! #kcacols
    Claire recently posted…It’s ok…007 #mumguiltMy Profile

10. Sarah
    September 12, 2016 at 9:52 am

Ooh great New Years Eve! I would be tempted to get out somewhere sunny myself, the boy has very long holidays! 🙂 #KCACOLS

11. Emma Plus Three
    September 12, 2016 at 10:13 am

Great ideas and Dubai sounds amazing! x #KCACOLS
    Emma Plus Three recently posted…Bloom & Wild #LetterboxflowersMy Profile

12. Rebecca
    September 12, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Great list! I LOVE Autumn and Winter! I love the colours, cosy clothes, warm soups, the fireworks, the rain. This year I hope to actually attend a fireworks display somewhere. #KCACOLS

13. Ky
    September 12, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Love this list. I’m also going to embrace autumn/winter and can’t wait! We’ve already been out and collected a few conkers today 🙂 Dubai for New Years will be amazing! x #kcacols
    Ky recently posted…Depression, Anxiety, Self Harm – My StoryMy Profile

14. Poppy Reflects
    September 12, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Oooh loving the cosy ideas.. I am so excited for Winter! I’m a winter baby so maybe that is why but I was so disappointed when all this summer weather struck again this week! Bring on the darker evenings x #KCACOLS

15. Mrs C
    September 13, 2016 at 11:25 am

Argh, so much to comment on!! You’ve just given me a fresh wave of excitement for Autumn so thankyou! I can’t wait till it gets a little cooler and crisper and get back into boots and jumpers. I was in the same place as you last year with my camera and though I’m no pro (by any stretch of the imagination!) and I probably use my iPhone way too much instead of my Cannon, there a few things I found helpful; order a book on the basics of DSLR photography just to get your head around the terminology and what changing basic settings does – it’ll turn your world around! And also – get your camera out at home, on an evening when you’re sofa surfing. You won’t end up with inspiring shots but you WILL get to practise seeing what happens when you change the shutter speed and Fstop – waiting until you’re out and about when you really do want to capture great shots will just frustrate you and I promise you you’ll slip straight back to auto! Mrs C x #KCACOLS

16. mainy - myrealfairy
    September 14, 2016 at 10:49 am

oohhh carving pumpkins is a big deal in our house and my OH loves to go totally ott with the designs which is fab and a real change from the norm. Dubai sounds great and is on my bucket list:)

mainy

#KCACOLS
    mainy – myrealfairy recently posted…HappyCalc Maths Puzzle Review and Giveaway!My Profile

17. Madeline (This Glorious Life)
    September 14, 2016 at 9:56 pm

I love autumn and winter! All the cosy nights in and cold, crisp days, perfect! x #KCACOLS
    Madeline (This Glorious Life) recently posted…Dreaming of a ‘one day’ home.My Profile

18. Harriet
    September 15, 2016 at 10:12 am

Yes yes yes! I LOVE Autumn. Oddly enough, I totally forgot about it until recently. Having lived in Australia for 7 of the past 8 years I am used to two seasons – hot and hotter – and I am so looking forward to the cold, crisp days you talk about. I too love winter coats, boots, Christmas. Bring it on!! #coolmumclub

19. Sian - The Mama Story
    September 15, 2016 at 10:37 am

Great list and I love reading about people’s Christmas organisation plans! I’m going to start making things for Christmas soon. Have a lovely birthday – we have husband’s and big daughter’s birthdays in September too so it’s a real celebratory month!
    #TheList

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Ooh that’s super organised! I need to get more organised this year. I hope you had fun celebrating this month x

20. You Baby Me Mummy
    September 15, 2016 at 11:05 am

What a great list. I love a Christmas market 🙂 Thanks for linking up to #TheList x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…The Power of WeMy Profile

21. MMT
    September 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm

A load of these totally resonate – the embracing the age of our Taylor / Mouse, the autumn fashion shopping (Sod it I was soo good last year and I NEED some new boots / Jeans / Jumpers!), and of course the fun events that Autumn brings (not least certain little girls second birthday at Halloween). Oh, darn it, you mean I can’t come to Dubai? Oh, guess that one stays on my LIFE bucket list! 😉
    Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 37My Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Haha! At least you got your holiday abroad this summer! That’s exciting to have a birthday at halloween – I feel another themed party coming on? 😉 xx

22. Kelly Robinson-Key
    September 16, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I have always wanted to go to a Christmas german market they sound fab! Love your list of things to do. Autumn is my favourite season especially for photography so good luck with improving your skills. Some great colours to play around with #CoolMumClub

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I really need to get watching some youtube videos so that I can really get to grips with my camera, so fingers crossed!

23. Helena
    September 17, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Great autumnal list. I’m sure you’ll come back with lovely memories from Dubai. If I were to make a list it would include making sure my babies are warm and cosy. #coolmumclub
    Helena recently posted…The Siblings Project {September}My Profile

24. Jade The Parenting Jungle
    September 21, 2016 at 10:39 am

I love the sound of your list and just got myself a coat ready for the cold morning school run! ‘Fully milk my birthday’..made me laugh out loud! #coolmumlub xx
    Jade The Parenting Jungle recently posted…Why A 5 Year Old Does Not Listen. Explained By A 5 Year Old… #Kidsreasoning #LittleslogicMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Haha! It’s all about the winter coat – I’m yet to do school runs but I imagine you could get away with pj’s underneath if your coats nice enough!? Xx

25. Flying Solo
    October 2, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I love Autumn/Winter, our summers seem to get longer every year, starting in MArch and it can still be hot in October, so I long for a chilly day/evening and I sleep better when I am not burning up! I am way ahead of myself this year, having already bought new coats and boots and Christmas tree, decorations and presents… #TheList

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Wow that is organised! I have the coats and boots but haven’t thought about Christmas yet. Although I was in ikea the other day and was tempted by the decorations there! X