A camera-shy blogger?

are you a camera shy blogger?

I would never really have described myself as camera shy in my pre-blog life. I’m quite happy to smile for the camera and I’m not one to dart out of the frame in social occasions. I’m not self-conscious and I’m happy in my own skin.

However, I’m also not one for taking photos of myself. Selfies don’t come naturally to me – I don’t feel the need to share it with the world if I think I’m looking good on a particular day (or if the Instagram filter makes me look particularly good that day!), nor have I mastered the seductive pout or know which is my best side.lifestyle blogger

Putting photos of myself on my blog has always made me feel a little uncomfortable. It just feels a little self-indulgent. Aside from that, the hubby isn’t the best of photographers (in fact we would barely have any family photos if I left it to him!) so I suppose that I just fell into the role of photographer, and as such, I’m always the one behind the camera rather than in front of it.

But recently I’ve been thinking about where I want my blog to go and have been assessing the blogs that I follow and what I like about them. Up until now my main photography subject has been my daughter. She makes for brilliant photos (as every child does) and I will never ever tire of taking her picture, capturing her every expression and freezing those precious moments in time to forever look back on. But I’ve recently been questioning the privacy issues that come with being a blogger and I wonder if it’s fair to make her my main photography subject – if I don’t feature my own face, then who am I to decide that I should feature hers?

In truth, I’m happy with posting photos of my daughter on my blog (within reason) – at least for the time being. But I do feel that I would like to feature more prominently on here as she gets older and I regain a sense of myself beyond being a mother.

I’ve realised that most of my favourite blogs have a strong sense of identity and I feel that I know the blogger behind them. Of course there are those anonymous bloggers who have me feeling like I know them through their relatable writing and witty posts alone, but on the whole, I tend to be drawn to those highly visual lifestyle blogs that let me have a nose into their personal lives; I would recognise the blogger if they walked past me in the street and I would feel like I already knew them to chat to. Okay, I’m not sure I’d want people to recognise me in the street, but perhaps it would be nice to show my face every now and then!lifestyle blogger

Since I set up Mum in Brum I always intended it to be a family lifestyle blog – I knew that I didn’t just want to talk about parenting alone. I never had a set sense of direction for it, but I seem to have achieved the lifestyle part through my interiors posts,Β recipes, freelancing advice and general life observations. Going forward I would like to focus a little more on fashion and my own journey beyond being a first-time mum – my journey as a 30 something woman trying to balance family life with fulfilling my own aspirations and ambitions.

So going forward, you can expect to see a little more of my face and read a little more about me – all in moderation of course.

Who knows, I may even start a vlog next…

Run Jump Scrap!

1. Emma
    September 14, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Ahhh a lovely post πŸ™‚ Glad you will be showing your face more often, I always like it when I can put a blog to the face! Says me who shows her face never :-/ #bestandworst
    Emma recently posted…Bloggers Beating CancerMy Profile

2. Jessica
    September 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm

I am totally camera shy! I hate even having the picture of myself in the sidebar! You are right though, all of my favorite blogs feature the bloggers, so that we feel like we know them. So, I guess I need to bite the bullet and start showing my face a bit more.

3. My Petit Canard
    September 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Ahhh you should totally start a vlog! Its a really good point you make, and one that I was really wary of when I started blogging. But then I realised, or felt rather, that I couldnt really share things properly or be completely authentic if I didnt capture my little ones on camera from time to time. I feel that I have a good balance between pictures and so do you. But that said, it will of course to see and read more about you too πŸ™‚ Emily #bestandworst

4. Sarah
    September 15, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Omg hun if you can’t show you face…I’m hiding out in the ugly home. You are stunning so would love to see more pics of you! Seriously though, this post makes a lot of sense and it can be a big decision to feature yourself or your kids online. I’m quite laid back about my pictures but it is to each their own! Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x
    Sarah recently posted…Get Glowing Skin with the Help of Grandmother’s Beauty BooksMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Aw thanks hun! Think I need to give the hubby some photography lessons first! x

5. Chloe Ciliberto
    September 16, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I am so camera shy too Natalie! I’m starting to do the same as you and feature Evie less and me more. It feels so strange but I’m starting to get used to it. πŸ™‚ I hope you do too. x

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Glad you’re starting to get used to it – I love your new blog pics. I really need to get some done xx

6. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    September 18, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I love how willing you are to change, grow and adapt. But most of all your introspection inspires me. I try to step back and evaluate where I am as a blogger, to see if I’m on the right track or if I’ve veered off. I agree that my favorite blogs have a huge presence from the blog owner. I never really thought about that. I have tried to be open, to let everyone inside so that we can become friends, but I think I need to work a bit harder at it.

I am camera shy, not because I’m hiding, but I’ve never been good at being photographed, I make the oddest looks with my face. LOL I guess I should laugh more at myself than hide! Great post!

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 25, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Haha I make odd faces too – especially when it’s not a simple smile for the camera! I think it is important to reflect on our blogs as it can be easy to veer off track or lose sight of what we’re aiming for x

7. aNoviceMum
    September 20, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I can relate with your points. It’s definitely easier to focus on others, especially visually, than ourselves; and our children are such fabulous subjects, aren’t they. It’s definitely right to consider their future feelings about what we share about them and it’s good to reevaluate the direction we want to take our blog. All the best as you move in this direction; I remain one of those anonymous-ish bloggers for now. πŸ™‚ #Twitter
    aNoviceMum recently posted…Do Not Touch My Growing BumpMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 23, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Thank you! I think a reevaluation every now and then, especially as our children get older, is healthy x

8. Vicki
    September 21, 2016 at 10:08 am

Totally relate to this. I’ve only just started my blog and only put one photo of me there and it’s a little fuzzy. I’m not keen either on having my photos all over the blog as it does seem self indulgent and I’m not writing about ME necessarily. I’ll have areal think about your post. It’s hit a chord with me!

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 23, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Good to hear that you can relate. My view of it all has changed over time, but I think you have to stick with what you’re comfortable with x

9. […] Lifestyle […]

10. Sarah Christie
    October 7, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Ah a great post, I try to post my pics too, its such a hard balance but its nice to see the blogger behind the blog isn’t it? These pics of you are lovely x