Enter the stylish backpack…Time to update your mum bag

Radley stylish backpack

Now that Taylor’s 21 months old I’ve been thinking that it’s about time to get rid of our trusty old changing bag and get myself something a little more stylish. I really don’t need all of that space for feeding material and constant nappie changes any more, and I think I deserve a bag that actually looks good on me – especially since I’ve made a promise to dedicate a little more TLC to myself and get some of my fashion mojo back.

Radley-stylish-packpack

Do you really still need your changing bag?

Swapping your designer handbag for a mum bag (AKA ‘changing bag’) is almost like a right of passage for any new mum. Little do you realise at the time that it also marks the start of your fashion demise and the beginning of a new era where a trip to the shops means Mothercare or your local supermarket and perhaps (if you’re lucky) a pair of new PJs or joggers for yourself.

In those last few weeks before giving birth, choosing my mum bag seemed like a big decision to me. Quite frankly I had no idea what I was looking for – but like everything else on my ‘newborn list’, it felt like another item that I could purchase that would make me an ‘actual mum’ at a time when I couldn’t get my head around the fact that I was about to give birth to a human being. It had to be practical (i.e. big enough to carry everything-but-the-kitchen-sink), yet I also wanted something stylish and something that Dad wouldn’t feel like a prat carrying around – after all, fathers do actually change nappies and give bottle feeds these days.

In the end, I opted for a Storksak navy canvas satchel bag with an insulated bottle carrier and a changing mat incorporated. To be fair, it has served us pretty well – it’s still in one piece despite being flung around, squashed into the buggy and thrown under tables for the past 20 months. But as I said, time for an update now.Radley backpack

The Radley ‘Harley’ back-pack

I was recently offered the opportunity to review one of the bags from the new Radley backpack range. I’ve always loved the Radley handbags and purses and have had a few in my time – so of course I jumped at the chance! I opted for the Harley medium zip top backpack as I love how compact it is and think the black with the gold detail makes it timeless. I haven’t worn a backpack since my school days, so I was looking forward to welcoming this style back into my life – I have to admit that I find handbags a little awkward and uncomfortable, especially when you carry a lot in them as any mum does.

The backpack arrived in gorgeous packaging that immediately made me feel pretty special. On opening the box and discovering my new stylish backpack I was pretty excited – it was just what I hoped for. It’s black nylon with leather-look zip pulls and trim, and is foil embossed with the Radley London logo. I also love the gold zip detail which gives it a classy, yet understated look. The inside of the back pack is lined with a lively contrasting print which stands out against the black exterior.changing bag alternativeRadley stylish backpack

Post linked with coolmumclub and KCACOLS

Shop the Post

1. thismummylark
    September 27, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I had this same thought last night when i noticed my baby changing bag had a rip in 1 of the pockets. i carry around less but bigger items now i.e clothes. i do like the look of this though very stylish. what sort of price range?

1. Natalie Mudd
      September 27, 2016 at 1:59 pm

They do get a lot of abuse those changing bags don’t they?! I can’t believe I forgot to include the price! Ha – I will add in. It’s £89 on the Radley site x

2. thismummylark
    September 27, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Thanks 🙂 They do yes but a good excuse to buy a mew one id say
    thismummylark recently posted…Get to know meMy Profile

3. Ravi Roshan Jaiswal
    September 28, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hi Natalie,

Yeah it really looks amazing and perfect to show yourself trendy. Love this bag which comes with all black view. As a person, I love to have a stylish, along with comfortable in wear. Sometimes it is quite difficult to carry a bag due to it’s uncomfortable design and look. I mean it should be design to carry easily.

The design and color of this bag is adorable for me. I change my bag every year and choose a trendy and stylish bag. Sometimes it is too difficult to select a bag which is good for my colleges and go to trip, too. I really love this backpack due to it’s gorgeous look.

Thanks for sharing it.
    – Ravi.

4. Jaki
    September 29, 2016 at 9:23 am

Lovely bag and a backpack is super useful if you’re out with toddler on your own. Throw it on your back and voila, both hands free. This is a really lovely one. #coolmumclub
    Jaki recently posted…The Centre Of His WorldMy Profile

5. Fran Back With a Bump
    September 29, 2016 at 9:51 am

This looks so simple and stylish. I’m not a fan of bulky changing bags and recently ended up buying another changing bag that looks a little more handbag like. Looking forward to when I can ditch it for a regular handbag again! I do like Radley bags, they always look nice and stylish! #coolmumclub
    Fran Back With a Bump recently posted…Five of The Best: BlogsMy Profile

6. Jo (Mother of Teenagers)
    September 29, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I am past the changing bag upgrade stage but we are off the States over half term and I have been toying with buying a backpack for the sightseeing as a handbag just doesn’t cut it and gives you shoulder ache after a while too. I will check this out for sure. Thanks for the review. #coolmumclub

7. Rebecca
    September 29, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I too have opted for a backpack… although it is not very structured so things get lost and it gets a little misshapen so I definitely need to invest in a sturdier alternative I think! <3 #coolmumclub
    Rebecca recently posted…Mom Date with ‘Bad Moms’ A ReviewMy Profile

8. Emma Plus Three
    September 29, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Oooh pretty! My mum bag is currently a black backpack from Zara and I love it! x #coolmumclub
    Emma Plus Three recently posted…5 Reasons Why I Don’t Regret Not BreastfeedingMy Profile

9. Anne Marshall
    October 1, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I have four kids and I always thought I never needed a changing bag. However…after my fourth baby, for some reason I really feel like I need one. It seems like I have got more stuff and always seem to have things I need in different places. Perhaps a back pack type solution would be ideal, this one looks lovely Xx #Kcacols

10. Emma (Upside Mum)
    October 1, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I love bags. I always carried a handbag as well as the changing bag. I wasn’t prepared to make that sacrifice! Though in the end I just ended up carrying an extra bag! The backpack looks lovely! #KCACOLS

11. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
    October 2, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Lovely bag! My work bag usually ends up on double duty – I’m forever finding random toys in it! #KCACOLS
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…This Week #51My Profile

12. Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops
    October 2, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Oh that is gorgeous, I love the lining! I am a big fan of Radley stuff. I have recently swapped from an changing bag to a rucsack as I find them easier to carry and I am it’s so much better (especially as we seem to need so much stuff for potty training!) #KCACOLS
    Jenni – Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted…Monthly Bucket List – OctoberMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I do love how practical the rucksacks are. Although this will probably be too small when we start potty training – doh X

13. Louise
    October 2, 2016 at 5:05 pm

This looks great, I’ve been starting to look for a backpack recently as I often carry my son but the changing bag is a pain to carry! #KCACOLS

14. the frenchie mummy
    October 2, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I usually don’t go for backpacks. I love my totes and another type of bags. But this one looks stunning! It’s so stylish. I was like you when it was about to buy a changing bag. I could not believe how expensive it was! I decide not to buy any and use one of my Longchamp instead. It lasted 2 weeks and I ran to the shop to get that sorted out! I didn’t want my precious bag to be full of milk or whatever. I don’t own a Radley bag, but this one would do nicely! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Yes the changing bags do serve their purpose I guess – they’re definitely durable! I’m hoping now that I don’t have to cram so much in this and carry milk etc it won’t get ruined x

15. Pen
    October 3, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Ah, this is lovely. I have been looking for a back pack for a while. I had been popping a nappy, snacks for Cygnet and some wipes in my over the shoulder handbag. This was okay until 1) said nappy sneaked out of my bag at work and I received curious and awkward looks from my boss (male, 58) and 2) my son got a scooter for his birthday and holding an over the shoulder handbag whilst trying to prevent my son from scooting into the river was proving to be a bit tricky. This ruck sack is most definitely the solution. Pen x #KCACOLS.
    Pen recently posted…Delight and disappointment: dating app reviewsMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Haha! Yes I used to keep a lot in my handbag on some days but it would always sneak out! Backpacks are definitely a good shout when you need to avoid another river incident! X

16. Twicemicrowaved tea
    October 3, 2016 at 11:15 pm

I’m at this point too. I don’t think I need the whole changing bag, but I definitely still need more than a handbag. This one would work! #KCACOLS

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 10:01 pm

It definitely works for me! X

17. Winnettes
    October 3, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I have a Radley handbag which I love but have been contemplating getting a rucksack for everyday use. I really don’t need a changing bag anymore but still want something large enough to carry a couple of nappies, wipes, 2 beakers and a couple of snacks as well as my stuff. This looks really good. I want one! Perhaps Santa will oblige if I drop some unsubtle hints.
    #KCACOLS
    Winnettes recently posted…Pinkys Autumn/Winter WardrobeMy Profile

1. Natalie Mudd
      October 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I’d definitely recommend a backpack – that sounds like exactly the items I carry and this is perfect! X

18. The Mum Reviews
    October 5, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I love Radley and that is super cute. I have a cute backpack buried somewhere…it must be time for it to have a second life. #kcacols
    The Mum Reviews recently posted…New mums and mental healthMy Profile